I've given up on LPG - the future is Electric.

Soldato
I'd get very bum twitchy about having to do that once a week. How far was it to plan B if the charger at Thurrock was out of action? Also how much extra time do you factor in for someone being on the charger when you get there? I assume you'd have to allow at least 30 minutes?

Soldato
Been a mild few days though. If temperatures plummet it might be better to take a different car.

I plan based on an assumed 55 mile winter range with a Plan B if I'm getting better than expected mileage. After all, the main issue with an EV is you can't just walk to the nearest fuel station and fill up a jerry can. If you're on the motorway with 15 miles to the next charger and 6 miles of range left, it could be flatbed time.

Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox;30385716 said:
Not much margin for error there :eek:
I could have driven more economically, if required. I pass ankther charging station 25 before Thurrock, so worst case scenario I have to stop sooner. But I prefer to get through the tunnel before stopping.

Soldato
I'm not sure i could handle the uncertainty of knowing whether the charging station I'm driving to is ok/not out of order/in use etc. It would do me in! Haha!

But still, its the guys like you blazing a trail and helping the manufacturers gather info for the next generations of EV's to come so fair play to you. :)

Associate
That's plenty. Inverse to an ICE car where heavy traffic actually increases range (as you are going slower) and doing it pretty much the worst time of the year for cold/rain so should only get better.

But the cold season happens every year and you're then in the same position of awful range every winter???

IMO they're just simply years off the battery technology to make EVs a viable alternative. The best batteries today are rubbish and that's a fact.

It would be interesting to see some real life data on how long the battery packs across the various manufacturers are actually lasting...

Soldato
But the cold season happens every year and you're then in the same position of awful range every winter???
It hardly that bad in the winter being far, far higher then what is needed for the average daily drive. For your average family doing the average daily trip Evs are perfect daily cars. The only people EV's are not suitable for are the small amount of people doing way above the average daily commute or those few who only have 1 car.

IMO they're just simply years off the battery technology to make EVs a viable alternative. The best batteries today are rubbish and that's a fact.
Its not a fact they are rubbish, just look at the Taxi company's swapping to Evs and still going strong after100k+ miles and all the battery's going strong after 5+ years.

Associate
It hardly that bad in the winter being far, far higher then what is needed for the average daily drive. For your average family doing the average daily trip Evs are perfect daily cars. The only people EV's are not suitable for are the small amount of people doing way above the average daily commute or those few who only have 1 car.

Its not a fact they are rubbish, just look at the Taxi company's swapping to Evs and still going strong after100k+ miles and all the battery's going strong after 5+ years.

Sauce? Which taxi companies? The only cars I see most of them switching to are the Prius and that's not an EV...I still stand by the batteries are crud.

Soldato
Sauce? Which taxi companies? The only cars I see most of them switching to are the Prius and that's not an EV...I still stand by the batteries are crud.
What about the C&C Taxi that has a fleet of Nissan leafs some of which have done over 100k miles and still has full battay life bars. To quote them “It’s no exaggeration to say Wizzy has transformed our business.”

“We took a gamble when we bought her but she’ll have paid for herself in just 24 months and the savings we’re now making across the fleet are phenomenal.”

Wizzy being the name of the first EV they tested out. This proves the batterys are not crud.

Soldato
Why? Fuel and wages are their main costs. They can't do much about the wages (yet), but they can about the fuel. Lots of short hop journeys, short bursts of idle time. All they need is access to a rapid charger to make EVs viable.

Must be a saving in the range of £3.50 per hour from switching over. Not inconsiderable.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom