I've gone Bavarian! 2015 428i Gran Coupé

Soldato
225 still look (on 18's some 428's have) fairly cheap ~ £100 ... but looks like 255's now £200+
.... what's up with the jump, does a smaller stronger sidewall have significantly different manufacture.

will you get any insurance
428 will want 225/45R18, not 225/40R18 you've linked.

Soldato
OK , yes , add £50/corner to keep the required radius
suppose if they are stsaggered you can't even, even the wear, by swapping during their life, or puncture situation.

Caporegime
OP
The MPS5 Tyres finally arrived after waiting one day short of two weeks. For a site that advertises 'Fast Delivery' and has a UK Domain they keep it very quiet that the tyres ship from Europe and in my case one pair from Holland and one pair from Germany. Anyway, brake pads changed all round, new tyres and a fresh MOT in the bag for another year. If you need tyres in a hurry I'd avoid Mytyres.co.uk but if you can plan far enough ahead then their prices were £100+ cheaper than anywhere online and they had both sizes in MPS5's when many others had eith4er fronts or rears.

It's been an expensive couple of months due to that with £783 for the four tyres, £138.60 for the MOT, a brake pad wear sensor and the fitting (£48 to fit all four, £12 per tyre!) then £108 for the brake pad fitting, Brembo which I supplied at a cost of £110, bought before Christmas. The rears probably would have done another couple of thousand miles according to the OBC but I just got them all changed. I also picked up a cabin air filter which I have yet to fit but fingers crossed that will be the full extent of the bills for a considerable time.

I'm doing less long runs so overall MPG has dropped recently with the average hovering between 27 & 30MPG running on Super Unleaded from Costco.

Caporegime
OP
Thought I’d bring this up to date. I have a cabin air filter to swap over (not sure if it’s under the drivers side or passenger side on a RHD 4 series) and I still haven’t fitted the diffuser. I also think I will likely eventually take off the M4 style spoiler and go for the smaller version, most likely in gloss black.

Nothing else has gone wrong, the MPS5’s have bedded in nicely and now that the weather is improving I’m able to push a bit more with peace of mind.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thought I’d bring this up to date. I have a cabin air filter to swap over (not sure if it’s under the drivers side or passenger side on a RHD 4 series) and I still haven’t fitted the diffuser. I also think I will likely eventually take off the M4 style spoiler and go for the smaller version, most likely in gloss black.

Nothing else has gone wrong, the MPS5’s have bedded in nicely and now that the weather is improving I’m able to push a bit more with peace of mind.

How are you finding the PS5s?

I’ve put them on my 135i and have immediately noticed how much more dull the steering is.

Caporegime
OP
How are you finding the PS5s?

I’ve put them on my 135i and have immediately noticed how much more dull the steering is.
Can’t say I’ve noticed much difference in the steering tbh. Have you checked your pressures? If they’ve dropped a bit, or even need putting up a little it might feel slightly woolly as the sidewall flexes too much?

Soldato
Can’t say I’ve noticed much difference in the steering tbh. Have you checked your pressures? If they’ve dropped a bit, or even need putting up a little it might feel slightly woolly as the sidewall flexes too much?
I haven’t, no. Since they’ve just been fitted (days ago) I assumed they would be correct, but probably worth a check.

Caporegime
OP
I haven’t, no. Since they’ve just been fitted (days ago) I assumed they would be correct, but probably worth a check.
Did you check your pressures?

Looking around for insurance as mine will be due in late June. Some of the prices are absolutely wild. £629 or £647 for an annual policy. Nothing has changed!

Soldato
Brave man putting that much trust in a garage.
Deffo check pressures.
Did you check your pressures?

Looking around for insurance as mine will be due in late June. Some of the prices are absolutely wild. £629 or £647 for an annual policy. Nothing has changed!

Checked the pressures and the fronts were a little low (2.5 bar instead of 2.7).

Rear were fine but I've inflated them a little (2.8 bar instead of 2.7)

Better front end bite now, but I still don't think the turn in is as sharp compared to when it was on the previous tyres.

I would have gone for the F1 Asymmetric 6 but they weren't available in this tyre size.

Caporegime
OP
There's so much pollen in the air my car looks awful so quickly so I got it washed at the valet centre at work:

2jB8jQcP.jpg

She comes up pretty well for being 8 years old.

Can insurance bought from Stella insurance, who advertise about being pro women. £60 more than last year but given some of the bigger names were wanting £800+ I'll take that. £450 for the year.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Time for another update.

Bought some new Wipers after what appear to be the originals (8 years!) started squeaking no matter how wet or damp or moist the screen was and only a torrential downpour stopped them squeaking on every sweep. Some sites show an incorrect part number for the 4 series and I ended up with a set of wipers for an Isuzu DMax. Re-ordered and the correct set arrived and were fitted. Success! Quiet and working well again.

Still haven't got round to fitting the cabin air filter (Is it on the left or right side on RHD cars?) and the car is (finally) going in for the Gearbox fluid change on the 23rd of this month.

I've been 'using the full potential of the engine' a lot more recently while the weather is good and the average MPG has suffered due to this. 26.85mpg last fill up!! Previous fills were 30.33, 29.22 and 30.04mpg. Still running on Super unleaded from Costco. £1.509 on Friday.

Other than that no other issues to report which could mean impending doom is around the corner. I'm considering taking up the official BMW warranty even though I haven't had it in the 2 years and 3 months I've owned the car. The Satnav could do with an update I think too which, if previous Black Friday's have been anything to go by, may be on sale again this year.

Soldato
Nice update.
My 440i is currently saying 16mpg. Did 160miles to last tank.
Only doing school runs in it as I'm technically medically banned from driving further than 5 miles at a time.

Man of Honour
Nice update.
My 440i is currently saying 16mpg. Did 160miles to last tank.
Only doing school runs in it as I'm technically medically banned from driving further than 5 miles at a time.
Are you in start stop traffic? (Well, more stop than start judging from those mpg figures lol)
I don't think I've ever had mine that low...

Back
Top Bottom