January Transfer Thread 2018/19

Don
OP
Yea, Klopp said as much regarding both Solanke and Clyne but I do think that letting Origi go would leave us shorter in attack than Clyne leaves us in defence. Klopp's said that both Matip and possibly Gomez will be back after the Brighton game and with Fabinho and Milner, plus youngsters like Camacho and Hoever, you do have options at RB even if they're not ideal. Letting Origi go without a replacement would leave us with 5 + Lallana for the front 3/4 positions which really leaves you an injury away from being down to your barebones.

Soldato
You cant be thinking that if you want to win the league though. If we let Origi go we are seriously bare upfront and still in three competitions...it would be silly not to strengthen.

Don
OP
Unless he thinks shaqiri could play striker role? In which case I think we would be fine
For a start I can't see Shaqiri playing as a striker for us - I can't even think of a game where he's played wide in a 4-3-3 let alone be as advanced as the main striker. The issue with letting Origi go isn't that we'll be short of players that can play centrally - we only play with 1 striker and with Salah playing there more and more, we've got 3 players (Salah, Firmino & Sturridge) and possibly Mane if needed that can play there. The issue is just a lack of attacking options full stop as both Salah and Firmino are also options in other attacking positions. At the moment we're seeing a lot of 4-2-3-1 with Firmino behind Salah but an injury to Mane or Shaqiri means you're having to move Firmino to the left or Salah to the right and bring Sturridge in - without Origi you've suddenly got no senior attacking players on the bench and relying on Keita or Lallana, who are more midfielders, to cover the front 4.

Soldato
Origi featured so little I don't see him as a loss, nor is he good enough anyway.

I get your point over all, it's a hard potion in general though as it won't be easy to convince some one to join who is top quality whilst saying your not gonna be first choice

Don
OP
It won't be a big loss providing we don't have big injury problems but all it'll take is 1 injury for us to need to have him on the bench just to have an option, even if he's not used.

The striker situation is always going to be tricky because of the likes of Firmino and Salah and I've always been against spending any significant sum on an out and out striker for that very reason. As I said earlier, one way or another Origi will go before the start of next season and it's very possible Sturridge will be gone too - his contract is up in the summer and although there's talk that we've offered him a new deal, I'd be surprised if what we've offered him (both in terms of money and playing opportunities) will be enough for Sturridge to want to stay around. We're going to have to make some sort of attacking additions in the summer and I think we need to have at least 1 natural centre forward in the squad just to offer us something different. The question is whether we sign a prospect that'll be happy to be a squad player and then sign another flexible wide attacker that will free Firmino and Salah up to play more centrally or whether we go big on somebody like a Werner. Although Werner's not played much in wide areas in the last couple of seasons and primarily played through the middle, I think history has shown us not to pay too much attention to where somebody has played before when Klopp signs them. Werner to me looks very much like a right footed Salah in terms of the positions and roles within our side that he could play - you could imagine him playing high and wide on the left in the way Salah plays on the right when we play a 4-3-3 and equally you can see him playing as a central striker too. Being able to play in a couple of different positions makes it so much easier to bring in a quality attacker than if they could only play as a centre forward.

Caporegime
Ramsey agreed terms with juventus and emery has confirmed arsenal will only sign loan players this January

Cahill then??
Absolutely shocking. How can a club the size of ours be potless. It’s beyond depressing. It’s not even Stans fault, it’s the chronic mismanagement from Wenger and Gazidis over the years that have led to this. Players running down contracts, getting no money for them, giving stupid wages to average players (Ozil). The management basically ****** millions away. Why should Stan invest millions of his own cash when we have proved so reckless with it?

Hopefully now the gruesome twosome have gone, things will start to change, but it’s going to take a long time. I mean, we’re supposed to be a model of a self sustainable club. How can we be self sustainable if we don’t even have any transfer funds? The model obviously wasn’t working.

Soldato
How is it not Stan's fault. We're one of the richest clubs in the world, we bring in loads of money season on season and always have one of the lowest net spends. When teams like Fulham, Bournemouth and Wolves spend more than us in the summer then something is really wrong. We have some pretty big holes in our squad and even still we're within touching distance of 4th but that's going to disappear if we don't strengthen.

Caporegime
I don't get why we didn't sell mata for millions and buy a replacement if he's going to leave for free.

Or having seen first hand Dybala wreck us why we aren't trying to buy him from juve and are instead looking at dougie costa.

Stupid really on both counts

Back
Top Bottom