** January Transfer Window 2011/12 Season Rumours/Signings **

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Why would he need to name drop if he is already a world class player and has been on the radar of top clubs for such a long time? And even if Chelsea were in for him that don't mean to say he will want to go there come the summer given their current situation.

Erm... to get the best possible deal for himself obviously. It works the exact same way as an agent dropping his clients name in the tabloids. If for arguments sake Hazard knows the only team seriously interested in him is say Bayern Munich then he mentions Spurs and suddenly other PL sides sit up and take notice and then decide "hang on we cant be having a player of this talent go to one of our rivals" whereas previously their stance especially with a younger player may well have been "let him go to Germany and we'll see if we can pick him up in 2 years or so if he's stepped up a level"

I can understand Spurs fans not liking to hear this but they're not a big club in European terms, there's currently serious question marks over the managerial position and seeing as it's only Arry that's managed to get them this far who knows if that success is going to continue without him

I would have thought with all the big name strikers Spurs have been linked with over the past 18 months only for them to end up with Saha and Adebayor supporters would have cottoned onto the fact that moves for the likes of Hazard have got about as much as a 5% chance of actually happening

Associate
What was the question I asked? You must have not read it correctly because you've failed to answer it.

With the exception of Citeh, When was the last time any prem team signed a world class player? If you define world class as a Messi type then no team qualifies for that in the prem.

And as stated, Hazard can not be defined as world class playing in the french league, To be world class you have to be the very best at the very best, All hazard has shown is world class potential, Hence why nurturing his talent at a team like Spurs should be seen as one of his best options at this moment.

Soldato
You've got a real problem answering a simple question haven't you? What on earth does who Man Utd have signed got to do with Hazard signing for Spurs?

err because you're asking why a 'world class player' would go to spurs? that's why i asked how many 'world class players' man utd have had go to them in the last 5 years? to point out that times may be changing.

you could say berbatov if you like?

Associate
I would have thought with all the big name strikers Spurs have been linked with over the past 18 months only for them to end up with Saha and Adebayor supporters would have cottoned onto the fact that moves for the likes of Hazard have got about as much as a 5% chance of actually happening

This is true, but I do think Spurs will spend big in the summer (compared to previous seasons). Levy would have foreseen that Harry would likely be off to England a couple years ago, and so has given Harry very little to spend in the knowledge that we will have a new manager soon.

A new manager would have new ideas, and would want to know that he has money to spend before taking to job. I can't see us going out and buying top draw players like Hazard, but the next level down who the mega rich clubs wont be interested in, but players who have the potential to be stars, like Remy, and Leandro Damiao

Soldato
This is true, but I do think Spurs will spend big in the summer (compared to previous seasons). Levy would have foreseen that Harry would likely be off to England a couple years ago, and so has given Harry very little to spend in the knowledge that we will have a new manager soon.

A new manager would have new ideas, and would want to know that he has money to spend before taking to job. I can't see us going out and buying top draw players like Hazard, but the next level down who the mega rich clubs wont be interested in, but players who have the potential to be stars, like Remy, and Leandro Damiao

but adebayor has been great for us, i have no problem with him. he's been a bit lazy at times but saturday showed just how important he is to us.

saha was in a united team that won 4 pl titles which is very beneficial for us as he can pass on his knowledge. he's also scored more goals since joining us in a total of a less than 130 minutes than carroll and torres combined over a year!

Soldato
Scholes has been at united longer than 5yrs and was on their books from an early age and has had the benefit of being under utd`s guidance, Not the same as signing him from Real/Barca etc...;)

but he quit football so technically they signed him or re-signed him.

Soldato
All hazard has shown is world class potential, Hence why nurturing his talent at a team like Spurs should be seen as one of his best options at this moment.

I'm afraid that's nothing more than a Spurs supporter's (assuming you are a Spurs supporter) wishful thinking. Players like Hazard and Gotze are beyond simply potentially world class they're on the brink of it. Perfect recent example would be that of Sanchez last summer and where did he go? Not to someone like Spurs he went to the best team in the world. Hazard will do likewise (and by likewise I dont necessarily mean Barca but certainly a club of their stature)

err because you're asking why a 'world class player' would go to spurs? that's why i asked how many 'world class players' man utd have had go to them in the last 5 years? to point out that times may be changing.

Times may be changing? So what the reason Man Utd haven't signed any genuine world class players in recent years is because they're all going to the likes of Spurs? :confused:

For what it's worth we very rarely ever buy genuine world class players, we tend to make world class players (I guess a bit like Spurs), but as I've already eluded to Hazard isn't currently at the same stage Ronaldo was when we signed him, he's very much more at the same stage Sanchez was this time last year.

Soldato

I couldn't agree more :)

Soldato
Times may be changing? So what the reason Man Utd haven't signed any genuine world class players in recent years is because they're all going to the likes of Spurs? :confused:

times may be changing in terms of spurs getting such players, yes (not that that's why they wouldn't go to united) if you were offered the chance to play in the pl as a player such as hazard, where would you go?

at spurs he'd be part of an attacking and pacey team. united have the legacy card but (let's be honest) they've laboured a lot of results this season. city, he wouldn't be a guarenteed start (it would only be a short term pl stay, he wouldn't want to spend it on the bench) chelsea? not with the AVB situation. arsenal or liverpool? maybe, especially with the wages they could offer but will both of them be in the cl?.

it's all pie in the sky i know but there are some very good reasons why if hazard was going to come to the prem, he would be doing himself no harm by spending it at spurs.

Soldato
times may be changing in terms of spurs getting such players, yes (not that that's why they wouldn't go to united) if you were offered the chance to play in the pl as a player such as hazard, where would you go?

at spurs he'd be part of an attacking and pacey team. united have the legacy card but (let's be honest) they've laboured a lot of results this season.

I would have thought a Spurs fan if no one else would have known better than to use the we play the best football argument given that that's not got your nearest neighbours any silverware in the past 6 years ;)

You can say we've grinded out results but whereas Spurs tend to be the ones conceding 90+ minutes penalties in big games we're the type of team that wins penalties in the 90+ minute :p

Alas we're digressing, to answer your question imo Hazard right now would chose United, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea & City all over Spurs at the moment. That said I also think he'd chose Real Madrid over any team in the PL also.

Associate
I'm afraid that's nothing more than a Spurs supporter's (assuming you are a Spurs supporter) wishful thinking. Players like Hazard and Gotze are beyond simply potentially world class they're on the brink of it. Perfect recent example would be that of Sanchez last summer and where did he go? Not to someone like Spurs he went to the best team in the world. Hazard will do likewise (and by likewise I dont necessarily mean Barca but certainly a club of their stature)

For what it's worth we very rarely ever buy genuine world class players, we tend to make world class players (I guess a bit like Spurs), but as I've already eluded to Hazard isn't currently at the same stage Ronaldo was when we signed him, he's very much more at the same stage Sanchez was this time last year.

How can you say Hazard is on the brink of being world class? He has never played outside France for most of his footballing life, The same can be said about Mario Gotze, All they have is the potential to become world class.

World class players are proven performers at the highest level, Like Messi, Ronaldo etc, Throwing Sanchez out there suggests that you place him in the same bracket as Messi and Ronaldo because he moved to Barca!? No doubt he is an exceptional talent but not world class, At least not yet and the same can be said for Hazard and Gotze, No doubt they have the ability to become World class but as yet it is unproven. It is not wishful thinking, It is fact.

Caporegime
lol, Hazard would choose Liverpool or Arsenal over Spurs right now, sitting pretty in 3rd with a massive gap and just honest to god playing MUCH better football and champs league next year baring a disaster. Or Arsenal, manager under more and more pressure, get to not play first team because of Walcott being loved by Wenger, Arsenal moving backwards, Liverpool no where near good enough, not even close to Spurs quality at the moment and have spunked their load on a squad that won't ever be champs league quality.

Utd, wingers galore, never displace Rooney in his favoured position, not certain first team yet for sure. Chelsea, going backwards, 50mil striker who is unhappy, entire squad is unhappy, manager about to get fired and no one else will want the job, team needs massive rebuilding. Then City, huge wages, Nasri and Silva play in his prefered position they don't really play with wingers and he's definately not a certain starter.

He's young, there is no reason at all he wouldn't choose a stepping stone club as he might see it, Spurs, then on to Utd/Real/Barca/City in a couple years after he's an established player in a "proper" league.

AS a player, I'd go Arsenal if they got a new manager and shed the crap, or Spurs over all those other teams at his age in the positions he can play. Most likely to be first team, growing club, doing exceptionally well, utd are the only other team you'd consider but you would have to consider that you wouldn't be first team for a decent amount of time.

Soldato
How can you say Hazard is on the brink of being world class? He has never played outside France for most of his footballing life, The same can be said about Mario Gotze, All they have is the potential to become world class.

No. When we signed Ronaldo there was a player with simply potential, an 17 year old where it could have gone either way. Hazard, Sanchez, Gotze these aren't players with a question marks over their head, not in my opinion anyway.

Tummy does actually have a point the term World Class is over used and I totally agree with him the term should be reserved for the likes of Ronaldo and Messi only but for the sake of this argument I've gone along with it suffice to say though the likes of Hazard are a level above of say Chamberlain and or Ronaldo when we signed him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom