January Transfer Window 2012/2013 Season Rumours/Signings

Don
OP
Yeah it'd be a huge coincidence. None of them had postulated it during/before the match even, looking at their tweets. Had to be a briefing. Thanks for clarifying things for everyone :)

That's why the stories went out on the Tuesday night/Wednesdays papers after the game? Oh, they didn't. It was nice of all the rival newspapers to wait until the Wednesday night/Thursday papers before running the story. :o

As above, it sounds just like the last time their was speculation about Rooney. It's all bs made up by the press:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=17595063&postcount=296

edit: and to be clear (as there's bound to be somebody that gets confused), I'm not saying the reports are true, just that I suspect that the press have been briefed by somebody.

Soldato
thanks for chasing down that post Baz :) it strengthens your point hugely. We can't all have that in depth understanding of how the media works that you've obviously garnered through the years.

Don
OP
Didn't take much chasing down. We all know you don't like to post much, just the occasional snipe without adding anything to the debate.

edit: I'd love to know your explanation as to why all the rival papers waited until the Thursday before running the story (which true or not, was a big story that would sell well) if it's simply made up purely on the back of him not starting vs Real.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well, I'd not put much thought into it but I'd say time and credibility would factor in. I'd also look at the fact that they had their sales on wednesday guaranteed with the referee issue, there was time for their comment writers to get their teeth into it.

To be honest I haven't said there wasn't a briefing. I don't know either way. I just don't think it would be a massive coincidence if there hadn't been.

Soldato
Stop getting your knickers in a twist, there's no need. It's a forum where people can chat about football if they like or not. It's not like any of the threads in here are of any great import in the grand scheme of things.

You posted 'it's not a coincidence that they all posted on the same day' and I responded. There's no point going on about not posting much or whatever.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I'd love to know your explanation as to why all the rival papers waited until the Thursday before running the story (which true or not, was a big story that would sell well) if it's simply made up purely on the back of him not starting vs Real.

There are plenty of potential reasons one of which could quite easily be that all the papers didn't think there was anything to the rumours of Rooney leaving but saw that as usual, everybody started going nuts and discussing it.

Thats the great thing about rumours in football, you only need to start them and they usually fly on their own after that with 10 different people trying to get a new angle or say something different.

Don
OP
No, you didn't say there wasn't, you just tried to mock me saying there could very well have been a briefing.

Regarding the sales point - the rags were only guaranteed a certain amount of sales as every paper was running the match reports/ref issue. If the story was simply off the back of him not starting, you'd have thought that at least 1 might have run the story in the Wednesday papers, just to give them a different angle to all the rest.

Anyway, I don't particularly care. As I've said, I think it would be a massive coincidence if somebody hasn't briefed the press. If you disagree, fine.

Soldato
Good points Fez. I know the page seemed to go off topic for a while there. A briefing is certainly possible but there are other reasons and it's difficult to see who it would benefit bar the press.

Caporegime
Only reason he's looking at Williams was because he tried to kill RvP :)

LOL, in that case Wenger might as well look at re-signing Adebarndoor as well seeing as when he was at City...he tried to make RVPs face a part of the City pitch:p

Was trying to think who the hell is Danny Williams from Swansea. You mean Ashley :p

:o my bad lol...was in a hurry when i posted that :/.

fez

fez

Caporegime
:o my bad lol...was in a hurry when i posted that :/.

You made me question myself with that one too! How has he looked this year in general. I have only seen him a few times against poor opposition and he didn't look great, rather sluggish and blase at times.

Last edited:
Soldato
Stop getting your knickers in a twist, there's no need. It's a forum where people can chat about football if they like or not. It's not like any of the threads in here are of any great import in the grand scheme of things.

just remember. we're all equal.

Soldato
Re the whole Wayne Rooney 'transfer rumors' in Thursday's papers, just been listening to the Guardian's football weekly podcast and they were discussing the rumor and their take was the stories were guess work by the papers involved due to varying reasons (such as being dropped for utds biggest game in a few years, fergies annoyance at his off field lifestyle etc).

They were also discussing the 2010 stories in relation and how both the club and Rooney's agent were briefing the papers which is why you had lots of stories about how he was off to Man City. This time no such briefings apparently, just rumors based on the above.

The PSG story a week or so back was however the club briefing the media, preparing the way so to speak, to getting rid in the summer.

Caporegime
You made me question myself with that one too! How has he looked this year in general. I have only seen him a few times again poor opposition and he didn't look great, rather sluggish and blase at times.

Tbh i dont know if hes any good as i havent really watched much of Swansea this season, even when they played us at the Emirates and we got beaten by them. But if hes any good and can make a difference to our defence then im all for it but again as i said i dont really know.

I posted it because it was the latest rumour doing the rounds, even on SSN yesterday Laudrup was talking about Arsenal and Williams.

Am sure someone will pipe in and tell us how good/rubbish Williams is...probably DM for all we know:p

Soldato
Oh and another reason its apparently unsubstantiated rumour is the widely different transfer figure quoted by each report. Apparently that's a good indicator on if a briefing has occurred.

Yaaay another Football Weekly listener! Hope you're a fan of the Football Ramble too :).

Fraid not, had it on my itunes list last year, but when my ipod broke I didnt re-add, just listen to the Guardian one and TAW (the Anfield Wrap). Oh and 606 phone in's, its brilliant to listen to DM's ramblings in aural form :p

Caporegime
Can't stand 606 phone in or podcast. Alan Green drives me up the wall and as for the people that phone in :eek:.

Also, the World football phone in is utterly magnificent radio and the podcast is brilliant. Can't recommend it enough.

I've never listened to the Anfield Wrap, or a podcast based around a club before, as I presume it's a Liverpool based podcast.

Soldato
Re the whole Wayne Rooney 'transfer rumors' in Thursday's papers, just been listening to the Guardian's football weekly podcast and they were discussing the rumor and their take was the stories were guess work by the papers involved due to varying reasons (such as being dropped for utds biggest game in a few years, fergies annoyance at his off field lifestyle etc).

They were also discussing the 2010 stories in relation and how both the club and Rooney's agent were briefing the papers which is why you had lots of stories about how he was off to Man City. This time no such briefings apparently, just rumors based on the above.

The PSG story a week or so back was however the club briefing the media, preparing the way so to speak, to getting rid in the summer.

So let me get this straight your sources say the rumours about him leaving this week are BS however the club do want to get rid?

Back
Top Bottom