JayGee's Lian Li PC-V3000WX Dual Loop Build

This is the first time that I've used metal tubes for a build so having fitted the RAM block on the backplate of the GPU block I took the opportunity to find out how they are to work with by cutting, fitting and pressure testing the run between the two blocks...
VBgFcdw.jpg

... and I have to say that I found working with them a fair bit easier than acrylic, which very frankly is mostly to do with the fact that they're all prebent, but I also think that it's much easier to get a good, square, accurate cut with this material. I was also very pleased that the pressure test checked out too as I had some concerns that the fittings wouldn't grip quite as tightly on the shiny surface of the metal tubes.

Yeah, I'm cheating :) : dual loop and pretty much every other run besides this one makes it's way between components via the back plate and for all the out of sight runs I'll use acrylic so I'll have more freedom on how to route things.

I've been put off by soft tube used in that way because I once used some in an out of sight section of a build where it ended up getting a kink in it that restricted flow. Once spotted it was easy to resolve, but hey ho, it was out of sight for a while.

Slow progress over the last few days but one small step worth a picture is the test fit of the reservoirs, now pimped up with some new badges to cover over the mounting holes which are exposed by choosing to mount them with the inlet and outlet passing straight through the back panel...
TiWKd9p.jpg

Edit: and yes, I've decided to go with an all white interior. :)

Thanks.

There's just enough room to get the res lids off and get a tube in to fill them up - but I may well add something more convenient in the back section.

There has definately been something of a silver lining in having to wait for so many component parts in so far as it has forced a slower pace than I would normally go at things. That said, this one was one that I knew would take time because there are so many elements that just had to be right - such as the light floor and the back panel.

So, yeah, there's been quite a bit of forethought/planning that has gone into this build, but also a whole bunch of "prototyping" (a.k.a. cocking things up and having to start again) along the way.

Anyways, to today's progress:
  • Finished up the tube runs and cables "front of house" (tho' I still need to straighten up the GPU cables).
  • Completed the CPU loop to the point where it's now under pressure testing.
  • GPU loop is underway.
  • Cable management is underway.
  • and, crucially, proved to myself that the back panel clips on unimpeded (kind of important because it is just a push fit, i.e. there are no screws to force it closed.
J60uLX4.jpg auIv7b1.jpg

Is it wrong that I'm slightly disappointed those holes lined up so well on the GPU to rear block?! I figured it was going to be harder and I'm slightly upset by how easy you had it ;-D
So, when I said "prototyping (a.k.a. cocking things up and having to start again)", yeah, the back panel was one of those things that I had a number of runs at, mostly to get all the pass through holes plumb (six visible pass throughs plus another four for the pump/res).

To your other points/questions:
  • Nope, no window in the back - I basically continued using the metal tubing in that section because I had spare left over after the front section. Thus far I haven't wasted a single section of pre-bent tubing - measure 20 times, cut once, or something like that*.
  • The cables are a bit on the skinny side ("standard" 3mm slot cable combs are too big) but I won't be sleaving them or using extensions, at least not at this stage.
  • Funny how some people are - my wife is constantly surprising me by her inability to understand some very basic things such as why I need: more tools; another computer; another kayak; another lawn mower; ... (yet, at the same time, apparently it's quite normal to have about a gazillion handbags, etc.)
* On reflection what this tells me is that all the wastage that I typically get when I'm using acrylic tubes is nothing to do with my ability to measure up but, instead, everything to do with my tube bending and cutting skills.

Edit: added foot note "on reflection..."

In the end I used the pukka Heatkiller ARGB strips for lighting the reservoirs as I was struggling to get hold of an alternative strip that was narrow enough to fit in the channels in the frame. I'm sure that there must be something out there but after a first failed attempt (dimensions were incorrectly advertised) I just went with the option that was sure to work. That said I think I'll be looking out for something of a similar dimension now because I think it would be nice to illuminate the backplate block as a way to bring more light into that area of the build where the GPU blocks light coming up from the floor.

Ver nice Jay, must be a great Christmas present to finish it off.
It's come together beautifully, it's full but roomy at the same time.
One question (apologies if I missed it) any reason why there is about an inch of air on top of the Res? I will use this myself so wondering if there was an advantage to do it that way?
Thank you. As per @Cenedd the air gap in the top is for expansion.

If you mean putting some uplighting on the back of the GPU to light the CPU area, would you not be better with downlighting either tucked behind the rim of the case (where the glass panel sits against) or tucked behind the rad? Wouldn't show as direct in-yer-face lights then.
What I was trying to say was that I'm thinking of placing a strip along the back of the RAM block (mounted on the backplate of the GPU) to illuminate that as I think that would then add some light to that whole area. It would mean having a short length of cable trailing across the backplate but I think that wouldn't be very noticable. WRT downlighting from behind the top rim of the case - I've already got a Phanteks strip for that exact purpose (and two to fit behind the rims at the side too) as that was part of the original plan. However, when I was getting close to wrapping up I thought I'd first try a "less is more" approach to keep things clean. I'm going to live with it it a while longer to see how I like it before I think of adding these extras.

Yeah, I'd probably just run the cable along the gap between the GPU and MoBo and then out through the same pass-through as the GPU ARGB goes throiugh (i.e. the same one as the SATA cables and USB3 cables).

Back
Top Bottom