Jeremy Clarkson suspended from BBC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
I enjoy TG, yeah it is all scripted and pre-planned but there is nothing else on BBC I watch.

Suprised by the masses of people signing petitions etc, it's not that good.

JC is a buffoon, who has some funny moments, but generally acts like a berk.

Problem is its one of the few "male" TV shows left in the UK. It's a precious rare commodity now. thays one of the reasons so many are getting worked up.

Man of Honour
Apparently it was a male producer the BBC have said. Not that it makes punching anyone at work more legitimate - but for a lot of people that will be more acceptable.

Has the sex of the producer been released?

As for the question, the likelyhood is there would have been far more uproar about him hitting a female producer than male. Whether that's right or not is up to you to decide.

Man of Honour
The problem is the BBC do have a set of guidelines to work to - they're damned if they do they're damned if they don't.

If the fire him, he'll go elsewhere and take a lot of viewers with him and the BBC may well lose a lot of income.

If they keep him, it will just show that they don't take things seriously.

Soldato
It's one of the few shows not written for Guardian readers by Guardian readers.

The Guardian generally hates Clarkson, it is true.

Personally, though, I am both a Guardian reader and a muesli-eating, sandal-wearing liberal. And TG is the only thing on TV I watch (sport aside).

And, contrary to your view, I see very little non-factual content on TV that appeals to my lefty liberal stance, and actually believe that Clarkson is extremely misunderstood by those on the left - he's playing the buffoon, a caricature of the idiot bigot: we're laughing at his act, not with his gags.

Soldato
So if your boss punched you in the face you'd be ok with that?

If it was clarkson, I would be telling my mates, not running to mummy :p

And how do you know he punched someone in the face? and that it was even that hard

Could this actually just be completely blown out of proportion, given that people know he is on his last warning.

Last edited:
Soldato
The problem is the BBC do have a set of guidelines to work to - they're damned if they do they're damned if they don't.

If the fire him, he'll go elsewhere and take a lot of viewers with him and the BBC may well lose a lot of income.

If they keep him, it will just show that they don't take things seriously.

This.

The BBC are stuck betweena rock nad ahard place on this event.

Man of Honour
So if your boss punched you in the face you'd be ok with that?

Couple of things.

We don't know it was the face.
Depending on my relationship with boss, I'd either punch him back or get him fired or leave the job.

I'm sure most of us have had a fight as some point in our lives, generally it blows over afterwards and you just pull your socks up and get on with your life.

Associate
Clarkson is an arse. He treats everyone around him like total crap and threatens people when he doesn't get his own way. He also screwed over pretty much everyone involved in the 'new' Top Gear to ensure they didn't see any of the profits that they probably should have been entitled to.

He's generally a nasty piece of work, in my humble opinion.

Soldato
With the way these sorts of things are blown out of all proportion, Unless I see pictures proving the contrary, I am going to assume that the "Punch" was nothing more than some form of physical contact with a force of little more than a butterfly settling on a cheek!

(I also sense some sort of deeper conflict. Did the BBC deliberately set Clarkson up with a producer they knew he would fall out with perhaps??)

Soldato
Storm in a teacup I suspect. I've worked in industries where is a bit more 'physical' than the average bod working in a quiet office. Motor racing etc is one such industry.

In any case, as we saw with Jonathan Ross, Clarkson (and his two cohorts) will just **** to another channel and Top Gear will be essentially lost to the BBC....they know this so expect to see it all blow over.

I agree with Freefaller though, that the losers here are the viewers. Top Gear being one of the very few things I watch on the BBC other than news.

He's not in the motor racing industry, he's in the entertainment industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom