Jeremy Clarkson suspended from BBC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Wonder when all the details will come out so we know what's actually happened.

On a separate note, one thing I don't understand with regards to various comments Clarkson has come out with on TopGear that he's been "warned" for, is how it's all pinned on him. If you're recording a TV program you have various takes and hundreds of hours of footage that is then edited into an hour long broadcast-able version. Surely its the job of the editors/producers/controllers to make sure nothing is broadcast that might kick up a fuss. It's ridiculous that they air the program, the media have a frenzy about something he's said, and the BBC end up saying "oh why did you say something like that, here's a written warning".

Permabanned
Stargazing live, Brian Cox's wonder series and TIMC on Radio 4. The rest can *** off. :p

Exactly. There's so much the license fee covers. And there's aspects of what it covers people aren't going to like.

But I'd rather pay the license fee for the bits I do like than ever pay for Sky. **** Rupert Murdoch.

Soldato
TG is the only thing on TV I watch, bar Tennis and Boxing (and that's hardly ever on terrestrial). To be fair, I only watch on catch-up. If only wife and kids didn't watch any TV, I could get rid of the license.

The TV license goes towards more than just the TV bit. It's their online and radio stuff as well.

Top Gear is trash. But I'd still pay the TV license for their documentaries and radio programming. Although I resent part of my license fee pays for Radio 1 as the only tolerable shows on it are the drum and bass shows.

Radio 1 is the cheapest of the 5 main radio stations. It does seem pretty pointless, though, since it replicates what lots of commercial stations offer.

How the BBC spends your money (2012 figures):
6cPNz8i.png

Caporegime
He's made a living by pushing boundaries. Why is that a bad thing ? All the best comedians push boundaries too. Again, why is this a bad thing ? I like Clarkson's edgy humour. But I'm not one of the hyper easily offended PC brigade, so maybe I don't understand. :rolleyes:

How is Clarkson 'pushing boundaries'?

Man of Honour
Is everyone forgetting Attenborough documentaries, if which a new one will be out towards the end of the year. It also likely make ne upgrade to a 3d TV, as it's filmed in 3d.

Permabanned

Interesting. I wish they'd put some more money into BBC4. They do some great documentaries. Particularly their music ones. Reggie D Hunter's Songs of the South was a great little 3 episode run on music of the Southern United States recently. Was very good. Rich Hall has done quite a few for the BBC as well.

Edit:

Hall has written and presented six 90-minute documentaries about film genres, broadcast on BBC Four. Rich Hall's How the West Was Lost (first broadcast June 2008)[8] discusses Westerns, Rich Hall's The Dirty South (October 2010) challenges stereotypical Hollywood presentations of the Southern United States,[9][10] Rich Hall's Continental Drifters (November 2011) examines the American road movie,[11] Rich Hall's Inventing the Indian (October 2012) discusses portrayals of Native Americans.,[12] Rich Hall's You Can Go To Hell, I'm Going To Texas,[13] first broadcast 30 June 2013, which examines what it means to be a Texan, and Rich Hall's California Stars.[14]

Associate
I personally find most things he says rather amusing. There are a lot of people who get insulted easily, and it's these people who complain. Can't imagine they will axe him from the show though. Probably put him on temporary suspension for a few months, let him simmer. Then he will be back with the next series.

Caporegime
He stands behind a boundary and then uses his body to move it forward. ;)

He's made a living by pushing boundaries. Why is that a bad thing ? All the best comedians push boundaries too. Again, why is this a bad thing ? I like Clarkson's edgy humour. But I'm not one of the hyper easily offended PC brigade, so maybe I don't understand. :rolleyes:

Going to expand on this or not?

Soldato
Hope he did something hilariously offensive to offend the sensibilities of the BBC's hand-wringers to warrant this suspension. I love how Clarkson doesn't even remotely try to fit in with the BBC's extreme politically correct ideology and it's blatantly leftist bias.

Last edited:
Soldato
Going to expand on this or not?

His sense of humour. Seriously, can't you see ? His sense of humour is controversial and edgy, hence he is pushing boundaries. It's also why the professional offense takers cry fowl every time their delicate sensibilities are impinged upon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom