Jeremy Clarkson suspended from BBC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
i know they're good presenters.

but it doesn't necessarily mean the documentary will actually be good in terms of helping you lean much about the subject.

as they often just chase ratings and the boring technical side doesn't do that so its more "look at this how cool is it1!!"

what are some good ones from the last year?

genuinely if they're good and ive missed them id be happy to watch them. so names people.

Pain, pus and poison was excellent.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01f51s5

Soldato
His sense of humour. Seriously, can't you see ? His sense of humour is controversial and edgy, hence he is pushing boundaries. It's also why the professional offense takers cry fowl every time their delicate sensibilities are impinged upon.

I wouldn't call want he does 'pushing boundaries'. He's one of the most conservative figures on TV. His jokes are from another era.

He's clearly an intelligent guy. I don't think anyone would have believed that a magazine programme about cars would be one of the BBC's biggest exports before he revamped Top Gear. Never sure how much of what he does is an act.

Commissario
I don't believe that CBeebies one.

They show the same shows twice per day and one week is the same as the next.

Mister Maker can't be paid that much or Mr. Tumble.

TV shows are very very expensive to make, and that cost includes the basics of transmission etc.
A million pounds would for example cover the production of an hour of BBC1 premium period costume drama, think something like a major adaptation of Pride and Prejudice (or about 4 minutes of the Boardwalk Empire pilot), or 3-4 hours of Casualty.
IIRC about the cheapest clip show works out at something like 30-40k an hour, with a fair chunk of that being the rights clearances and legal.

So a million a week for a TV channel with content that isn't being paid for by adverts is tiny (or provided FOC to the broadcaster as advertising*), and won't pay for much new content at all, but then with very young children they tend not to notice/mind that it's the same show.

*As is often the case for some channels (Disney channel for example is often mainly a way to sell the merchandise).

Associate
I do love the posts about hoping its cancelled...

Why in all thats unholy would you watch a show you don't like?

Can I start whining I don't like Eastenders? I pay my licence fee too you know...

Don't like JC fine, don't like Top Gear fine. You know a solution avoid anything to do with the show.... It works for me and Eastenders.

Permabanned
Why isn't Top gear on this Sunday? I was under the impression it was all pre-filmed months before being shown.

It is pre-filmed. They've pulled it. Not sure whether it's because of this "fracas" or the "fracas" is the result of something that was in the show, which was why it was pulled.

Soldato
It is pre-filmed. They've pulled it. Not sure whether it's because of this "fracas" or the "fracas" is the result of something that was in the show, which was why it was pulled.

I thought the audience bit of the show was filmed the Wednesday before airing?

Commissario
Why isn't Top gear on this Sunday? I was under the impression it was all pre-filmed months before being shown.

IIRC they film a lot of the inserts/studio stuff on the Wednesday prior to airing, which allows them to keep it current and for the studio stuff to fit in with the final "pre filmed" content which may have taken days/weeks to edit.

Soldato
They film the news and studio links the Weds before air.

I thought the audience bit of the show was filmed the Wednesday before airing?

IIRC they film a lot of the inserts/studio stuff on the Wednesday prior to airing, which allows them to keep it current and for the studio stuff to fit in with the final "pre filmed" content which may have taken days/weeks to edit.

Something tells me it's the Wednesday before airing ;)

Soldato
TV shows are very very expensive to make, and that cost includes the basics of transmission etc.
A million pounds would for example cover the production of an hour of BBC1 premium period costume drama, think something like a major adaptation of Pride and Prejudice (or about 4 minutes of the Boardwalk Empire pilot), or 3-4 hours of Casualty.
IIRC about the cheapest clip show works out at something like 30-40k an hour, with a fair chunk of that being the rights clearances and legal.

So a million a week for a TV channel with content that isn't being paid for by adverts is tiny (or provided FOC to the broadcaster as advertising*), and won't pay for much new content at all, but then with very young children they tend not to notice/mind that it's the same show.

*As is often the case for some channels (Disney channel for example is often mainly a way to sell the merchandise).

Worth it just for the bird from "Let's Play" tbh too.

Soldato
He's made a living by pushing boundaries. Why is that a bad thing ? All the best comedians push boundaries too. Again, why is this a bad thing ? I like Clarkson's edgy humour. But I'm not one of the hyper easily offended PC brigade, so maybe I don't understand. :rolleyes:

I think it's more the BBC are worried about their rep. It's popularity around the world, people seeing the BBC logo all over it. Business wise it might be best to get rid of him in the long run, despite the numbers of viewers he brings in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom