Jimmy Savile - Sexual Predator

Caporegime
Stuart Hall pleads guilty to 14 sex offences :eek:

In a previous statement in February, he was on about taking his own life. Don't know why he didn't as he's going to be in for a rotten spell now he's going to jail at aged 83.

Soldato
I wouldn't put money on anyone from that era NOT being some sort of sex offender right now.

I wouldn't rush to tar everyone with the same brush. Paedophilia is not an era specific crime. It has always occurred and always will. The time delay between the crime and the criminal being accused is because the victims need to reach adulthood and then come to a decision about justice. This process is often impeded with many child victims due to a kind of Stockholm Syndrome which makes the victims identify with their abusers. This can take years/decades to break, if ever.

It might be shooting season for yesteryears celebrities right now, but we'll soon be back to priests, teachers, youth workers etc.

Soldato
I wouldn't rush to tar everyone with the same brush. Paedophilia is not an era specific crime. It has always occurred and always will. The time delay between the crime and the criminal being accused is because the victims need to reach adulthood and then come to a decision about justice. This process is often impeded with many child victims due to a kind of Stockholm Syndrome which makes the victims identify with their abusers. This can take years/decades to break, if ever.

It might be shooting season for yesteryears celebrities right now, but we'll soon be back to priests, teachers, youth workers etc.
The sad fact is statistically family members are the biggest abuses by a massive margin - depressing to think how often this isn't reported at all (as reporting a family member would have a massive impact compared to reporting a stranger).

Really we need to identify what kind of behavioural triggers or social environments which turn people into abusers - I'd imagine a lack of empathic development would be one element along with many more - either way prevention in these cases is a million times better than punishment.

Soldato
Really we need to identify what kind of behavioural triggers or social environments which turn people into abusers - I'd imagine a lack of empathic development would be one element along with many more - either way prevention in these cases is a million times better than punishment.

I think it's nature and nurture. I know from reading the research of others that some people are born with a propensity to commit these crimes due to, as you stated, a diminished sense of empathy. Not all of these people will become paedophiles though. Those that do are often victims of abuse themselves and so we have a vicious cycle of abuse being passed down from one generation to another.

Another important ingredient for the nature/nurture argument is sexual attraction. Studies have shown that a persons first sexual experience, be it masturbation or abuse or consensual sex with a partner, has a huge influence on their sexual psychology. Normally this happens during or after puberty. When this happens before puberty though, through sexual abuse, the victim is much more likely to develop a sexual attraction to children and thus become an abuser themselves. There is clearly no golden rule though. Some paedophiles were never abused and appeared to develop perfectly normally but for some reason their brains are hard wired to be sexually aroused by children, so we are then back to nature.

Soldato
BBC Breaking News ‏@BBCBreaking 11m
UK comedian Jimmy Tarbuck arrested by police over alleged historical sex abuse on a boy in the 1970s, @DannyShawBBC understands

FFS, what is going on? Were they all at it back then? :(

Associate
jimmy saville

I don't understand having read the story of Jimmy saville, as to why our current day and age is different to that of the 1970's and 1980's. Nowadays it is seen with disgust, more people are reporting it and criminal action is taken against these people. Why did this not happen two decades ago, when some of his victims did speak out. What is so different about our current times? Is it the internet?

Associate
Back in the 60's, 70's and 80's, the word pedo or child molester was not exactly known.

I was speaking to my gran about this, things like kidknappings and men raping children was just never heard of, ofc it has been happening for a very, very long time but victims, more so girls were more oppressed and taught to respect and never talk back.

For example, it was taught that saying no to an act of good will, such as a chocolate bar from a stranger was rude and showed disrespect to someones kindness. Parents were just not aware of the danger, unlike today were the danger of kidnappings and child molesters are scattered all over the news and papers.

Man of Honour
As someone who grew up in the 1960s and 1970s, I assure that the paedophile panic was already in existence. We were always (and often) warned to never get in stranger's cars, beware of strangers handing out sweets etc. There were even some of those badly-animated government films about it. But yes, the sexism of the era was legendary, and the idea that men groping women - even just pubescent girls - was either a) a joke, b) harmless, and/or c) a compliment was pretty much standard. But the most important factor remains: friends in high places. That has protected offenders since laws were invented.

Soldato
I remember the " charlie says " adverts from the 70's with the ginger cat and the kid. The best one was the one in the park where you can see the stranger checking him out first. :D

so they were aware of it back then.

Man of Honour
I was speaking to my gran about this, things like kidknappings and men raping children was just never heard of, ofc it has been happening for a very, very long time but victims, more so girls were more oppressed and taught to respect and never talk back.

For example, it was taught that saying no to an act of good will, such as a chocolate bar from a stranger was rude and showed disrespect to someones kindness. Parents were just not aware of the danger, unlike today were the danger of kidnappings and child molesters are scattered all over the news and papers.

What a complete load of nonsensical crap.
I was born in 1958, told never to take sweets from strangers and to stay away from certain men who were known to mess with kids (now there is a difference there).
Around 1966/7 I had an incident where a man made me get out my willy and after I told my mum the whole area was crawling with cops.
It's always happened but I suppose we now have the internet.

Associate
What a complete load of nonsensical crap.
I was born in 1958, told never to take sweets from strangers and to stay away from certain men who were known to mess with kids (now there is a difference there).
Around 1966/7 I had an incident where a man made me get out my willy and after I told my mum the whole area was crawling with cops.
It's always happened but I suppose we now have the internet.

Perhaps by gran grew up in a different way, also despite your post being serious that would make a good sig quote.

Associate
If only these people had gone to Soho and just paid for some adult entertainment it would have been much better for them and innocent lives would have been spared - sometimes it is better paying for sex and to let out one's tensions in the correct environment.

Soldato
If only these people had gone to Soho and just paid for some adult entertainment it would have been much better for them and innocent lives would have been spared - sometimes it is better paying for sex and to let out one's tensions in the correct environment.

Do they sell 9 year old's in Soho?

I think you're missing the point here slightly. I doubt any of these celebrities and comedians had a hard time obtaining willing women.... but they didn't want just women, clearly.

Soldato
I had an incident where a man made me get out my willy

302vqc5.jpg

Soldato
This reminds me of that time in 1976 when our school got some bloke in to talk to us about strangers and such, I think he was supposed to be a policeman. Anyway, after school finished I set off on my 2 1/2 mile walk home and this same bloke stopped and asked me if I wanted a lift. To this day I can't decide if he was testing me after his "talk", or whether he was actually a fiddler on the side, since I don't remember him saying "Congratulations, you passed the test!", he kind of just drove off.

Back
Top Bottom