Jobs - A little bit about what you do and perks

Soldato
Job

I work in a Garage, doing all IT stuff, Website, ebay, packaging etc..

Company

I work for JDM Garage UK/Jap Imports UK www.jdmgarageuk.com The company used to be mainly into importing cars, but now moving into breaking and selling parts.

Day to day

hmmm, could be anything. But at the moment updating site with new parts and listings on ebay, arranging new suppliers with some fantastic deals! Sorting out queries with customers, orders on the website.

Overall Job

I could be doing anything, helping out in the mechanics side of things (I'm slowly learning) Packaging up items. The main side is updating the website (which surprisingly takes a long time to get established!) Sorting out deals with suppliers and manufactors, looking into getting our own stuff manufactored, anything to promote the company.

Perks

Driving Skylines, Silvias, Imprezas, anything that comes in really. Which not many people at 18 can say they do on a regular basis.

The job is totally flexible, I'm not a morning person so usually start around 12pm but work until 8-9pm. Sometimes after I come home I work on again until maybe 3-4am.

Not being on a strict schedule, which I love, I get things done in my own time and know exactly what I'm doing and where I'm going with it. I couldn't stick having a tight schedule with everything planned for me.

Downsides

Nothing really? Maybe the fact I can't insure something Jap myself? :p

Education?

I did my GCSE'S, Started 6th Form and hated it so I left, best thing I did. I would be in the same position now after wasting 2 years.

Do you like your job?

Its brilliant. The fact its flexible and I've got no one peering over me to make sure everything is done in their time rather then mine.

There we go :)

Soldato
Job
Manager of a Wintel SA team looking after approx 250 Financial based application servers.

Company
Some dodgy bank called Citi

Overall Job
Production day to day support of systems, managing outages, heavy amount of audit/controls work, facing off to business groups and basically working my backside off to make sure things tick over okay.

Perks
Usual stuff like pension and health care, otherwise flexible working, fair amount of travel, shift allowance/overtime.

Downsides
Very long hours, stress, never actually away from work (always oncall if needed).

Education?
Spec Hons Degree, BTEC National, usual GCSEs

Do you like your job?
Very 50/50 at the mo.

Associate
(stuff about being a pilot)

That was really interesting, reckon id love doing something like that.

But so far

Job:

Student studying Accounting + Finance

Perks:

Lie ins, drunken fun, play xbox live all day, plentiful supply of attractive drunk women, get to hone my poker skills and earn a bit extra whilst doing it.

Downsides:

Lack of money, ill be £30K in debt when i leave uni. very manageable debt though.

Do i like it:

Dont ever wanna stop being a student :p such an easy life

Caporegime
Customer Solutions Team - their new name for Tier3 Tech Support :p

They like to change the names a lot! Don't think I could handle being back in a call centre though! Just moved from DTH tech and that drove me crazy, well nearly :p

Glad to be away from Sky?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Job
Class 1 HGV Driver.

Company
Stobart Group www.eddiestobart.co.uk www.jamesirlam.co.uk

Overall Job
Delivering goods in the main to distribution centres & trailer "drop & swap"'s

Perks
Top of the range trucks, including a lot of nice new Scanias!

Downsides
Very very long hours,other road users, occasionally have to work for Tesco's doing their store deliverys.....

Education?
Class 1 HGV Licence. (C + E )

Do you like your job?
Yes despite the stupid hours & generally inept "Traffic Planners" :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Job (Summer Job)

Order Picker / Warehouse operative

Company

I work in ALDI's south distribution warehouse, which serves 70 stores in the south of england, currently the largest distribution centre in the UK, operating out of the smallest warehouse.

Day to day

Get into work, get my truck out, I drive a small truck, like a fork lift, but with the forks behind you. Get my order picks for the day. Usually picking about 1500-1800 items a day, and have a 370 picks per hour pick rate to meet. I'm on the alcohol aisle, so i'm shifting boxes of wine, and crates of beer all day. Basically like shopping, going up and down the aisle picking items off the list, and driving it to the loading bay.

Pretty boring work, especially when you are forced to endure the awful virgin radio everyday.

Overall Job

Same as day to day really, same s***, different day.

Perks

Very good money, anyone who has worked for aldi before will know they pay pretty well for the kind of job. Also the hours are pretty good. Start at 8, and work through till I get my picks done, which can vary from around 1 through to 2 or 3 in the afternoon. Which means I can get a lot done after work, going to gym meeting friends etc. Also get one day off in the week. Also overtime if I want it. Also work with a few friends as well, which makes it much more bearable.

Downsides

Having to work on saturdays, virgin radio. And probably just the boredom of it.

Education?

I'm currently at university studying geography, just about to go into my third year, and need the money to finance a 5 week field trip to thailand, indonesia, and malaysia.

Do you like your job?

It's ok, much better than other summer job's i've had. People are very friendly there, and the money's good, so I just get on with it.

Soldato
Job

Analyst.

Company

A well know city bank.

Day to day

Get in at 8, check my emails. Research some companies, draw up reports, meet with seniors to discuss findings. Client meetings, more research, discuss sale of financial products. I'm still very much learning my role.

Overall Job

I work on many different projects, including selling existing and new financial products. Also do a lot of research of companies and their financial performance.

Perks

Money, dental, health care, pension, interest free loan etc.

Downsides

The hours.

Education?

I've got a degree in Accounting and Finance and decent enough A-Levels.

Do you like your job?

I love it at the moment, but I can see the hours getting the better of me eventually.

Soldato
I used to work for them a few years ago. I still would if my nearest venue wasnt 20 miles away. (i was Newcastle branch, now back in notts). its the ultimate student job tbh.

agree completely, that's how i got into it, especially if you're close to a couple of venues then there's as much or as little work as you want. the contracts I work on now tend to be just me, or just a couple of us, but i still work a couple of the open to everyone jobs, and i still love it, cant be doing with stuff at the MEN now though

alx

alx

Soldato
Well it depends, 40k is quite low imo, I have posted what I earnt in my first year of work else where, but as a first yr grad eng I earnt 34k before tax, that has went up some since being here and also the game of Oil and Gas is to move contract, which will be around 350-400 per day after another 2 years which goes up with experience, some of the structural engineers here are on around 6-700 a day, that is for a 7.5hr day and does not include offshore rates etc.

But money is only relevant if you enjoy your job, I am lucky that I do.

Also Dunstable Area? wtf :confused:

KaHn

That's a pretty decent graduate salary! Just wished process/chemical engineering paid that much, the most I've seen is about 35k before tax from BP/Exxon. Guess most of the money is in drilling/extraction. Do you know any graduate chemical engineers through your company?

Soldato
Job

Information Security

Company

A Global Company

Perks

Health Care, Dental Care, Life Insurance, Gym Membership, and Pension, plus lots of freebies, including USB Memory sticks. Blank Media, and Thermal Jackets, T-Shirts etc...

Downsides

None

Education?

Cisco CCNA, Network Intelligence Cert Engineer. & CEH

Do you like your job?
I love it at the moment, but we are taking on more staff and I will have to work with some one else on shift.

Caporegime
Job

Financial software

Company

Privately owned but with some seriously big clients.

Perks

Private medical cover, life, pension. Free food/drinks/snacks etc.. Travel opportunities and fairly generous daily expenses.

Downsides

Can be stressful at times and some aspects get pretty mundane. Clients can sometimes be quite retarded and given the organisations they work for the level of stupidity is, on occasions, pretty shocking.

Education?

University.

Do you like your job?

Yes, though I probably won't stay for more than a couple of years.

Man of Honour
Job

NHS Healthcare Careers Support Officer

Company

NHS

Day to day

My main job is looking after around 100 x 14 to 16 year old girls who do a BTEC in Health & Social Care and are called Young Apprentices.
They are taken out of school twice a week and do a day at College and a day on placements all around the city where I have to visit them.
This September we have some more who start on a brand new Social & Healthcare Diploma.

Overall Job

I also work with Student Apprentices who are 16+, around 500 Young Carers, BME's and SEN's.
Every day is varied and I can be at meetings all over the Midlands or at Careers Fairs.
My computing skills are always being put to the test and at the moment I'm working on an NHS Careers Road Atlas that will go nationwide into every school.
I'm also (at the moment) the person you come to if you want to do Work Experience in the NHS in Stoke and already I've made loads of working relationships with Surgeons, Professors, Doctors, Nurses etc etc.

Perks

I work with around 20 women (all good looking) and 1 man who I have just found out has got 5 Ibanez guitars and recently went to see Joe Satriani so theres lots in common there then.
I have a works phone I can use anywhere and I've just been given an IPAQ and laptop.
I've also been on many trips with the Young Apprentices and this November we're planning to go to Argentina.
I do flexi-time which means if I want to turn in at 7am and work through my dinner I can go home at 2pm.
In fact there is no such thing as clock watching in our team and I can't get used to it because my days were like military precision in my old job.

Downsides

None

Education?

None really, I'm a lucky bugger who was in the right place at the right time.

Do you like your job?

I'm sitting here waiting for tomorrow morning when I can go back.

Caporegime
Job
RAPID Account Manager

Company
Initial (part of the Rentokil group).

Day to day
Initial recently won a large retail cleaning contract with the Midlands Co-Op, and I am personally responsible for managing that contract. My main job is to ensure that we are meeting our SLAs, and my main contact is the Midlands Co-Op Group Manager (Doug Coppin).

Using our in-house account management system (RAPID), I track customer complaint logs as they come in through our helpdesk, and try to resolve issues asap. I also deal with pay queries from our cleaners, organise the recruitment of new staff, re-deploy existing staff, draft the weekly rota for our mobile cleaners, and liaise between our district managers and the client's store managers.

I am a troubleshooter, a problem-solver, a logistics co-ordinator, a quality control manager, a corporate representative and a personnel manager all in one.

I occasionally go out in the field with our district managers to see how they're getting on with the client, gain first hand experience of our progress, and maintain good personal relations with Co-Op store managers. I attend some of the Co-Op's own in-house management meetings, and I attend the management meetings between Co-Op and Initial. Last week I visited our own support centre in Dudley, where I met the Helpdesk and Recruitment teams to learn more about what they do, and suggest ways of improving procedures.

That's the gist. :eek:

Overall Job
I am based at the Co-Op Business Support Centre in Lichfield, where I am free to set my own hours. I choose to work 08:30-16:30 Mon-Fri, but Initial doesn't really mind what I'm doing, as long as it adds up to around 40 hours a week. This means I can tailor my work life to suit my home life, which is very important to me.

I enjoy the freedom of working solo, with nobody hunched over my shoulder (My line manager is 182 miles away, in Hove! :D). I enjoy the fact that I have the autonomy, responsibility and authority to get done what needs to be done, without needing to ask other people for their permission. My line manager is very "hands off", and that's how I like it. At the same time, she is always there when I need her.

Perks
Fully paid company car
BP fuel card
Fully paid company smartphone (HTC Kaiser)
All work-related expenses reimbursed (including meals, travel and accommodation)
Support: this company really looks after me in a way that no other UK company ever has; I can ask for any type of assistance, training or backup, and it will be instantly provided
Use of the client's onsite cafe :D
Flexible hours

Downsides
Employees who tell me they'll turn up to work and then go AWOL without notice, for no good reason
Store managers who dump all their problems on me and expect a solution within 5 minutes
Working on the client's site without any company colleagues around me is a slight downside

Education?
BA; major in religious studies, minor in philosophy. :)

Do you like your job?
Absolutely! :cool:

Man of Honour
Job

I'm a Test Automation Engineer

Company

I work for a company called Sophos, we make security products for the business market. We're not a market leader at the moment but being recognised by more and more people as a real alternative to Symantec

Day to day

I develop the framework that we use to run the automated tests, this is basically a huge program that gets data off of the host machines and runs tests accordingly, it's full of function libraries for operating system calls as well as functions for each of the programs we make. It's great fun programming for

So at the moment I am just developing new functions for the new versions of software that are in the pipeline

Perks

As staff I have quite a few perks at this company, Health Care, Dental Care, Life Insurance, Gym Membership, and Pension etc.

The best bit for me is the bonus scheme which means I get a very very tasty percentage of my salary in one lump sum

Downsides

At the moment I really cant think of any, I love it and find it challenging and exciting

Education?

I have a first class honours in comp science at Swansea and was gfoing to do a masters but applied for this job and got it, so here I am

Do you like your job?

Yup I love it.

Last edited:
Associate
Job

I'm a Game Designer working at a video game developer in Cambridge.

Company

Frontier Developments (http://www.frontier.co.uk) we're an independent developer - one of the few large indies left in the UK :(. We're developing (or have done in the past) for PS3, 360, PC, Wii, PSP and DS :)

Day to day

The good thing about the role is that the tasks I'm assigned are always quite varied. Sometimes I'll be defining and documenting game mechanics, so times I'll be writing dialogue for characters, designing levels in SketchUp, building them in the games editor - loads of things. Tis all quite exciting :)

Perks
Taken from the website:

http://www.frontier.co.uk said:
"we have a bonus scheme that gives each person a share of 15% of the profits in the company and we incentivise people to stay with us for the long term via a generous, government-approved share option scheme. And we offer 25 days holiday (plus Public Holidays) a year, rising to 30 after 10 year’s service."

Of course, it's great to actually work on a game that gets published - having millions (hopefully) of people play a level you've designed :).

Downsides

Long hours and loads of overtime of course (although, to be honest this project has been pretty good for designers so far).

Education?

Just a BTEC ND in Media moving image. Tried uni for a year and hated the course so I dropped out.

Do you like your job?

Oh yesh; tis what I wanted to do since high school. :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Job

I'm a Game Designer working at a video game developer in Cambridge.

Company

Frontier Developments (http://www.frontier.co.uk); we're an independent developer - one of the few large indies left in the UK :(. We're developing (or have done in the past) for PS3, 360, PC, Wii, PSP and DS :)

Day to day

The good thing about the role is that the tasks I'm assigned are always quite varied. Sometimes I'll be defining and documenting game mechanics, so times I'll be writing dialogue for characters, designing levels in SketchUp, building them in the games editor - loads of things. Tis all quite exciting :)

Perks
Taken from the website:

Of course, it's great to actually work on a game that gets published - having millions (hopefully) of people play a level you've designed :).

Downsides

Long hours and loads of overtime of course (although, to be honest this project has been pretty good for designers so far).

Education?

Just a BTEC ND in Media moving image. Tried uni for a year and hated the course so I dropped out.

Do you like your job?

Oh yesh; tis what I wanted to do since high school. :)

You work for a childhood hero of mine - David Braben. :cool:

Btw the frontier link you posted is wrong. ;)

Back
Top Bottom