Joe Lycett - Qatar/Beckham debate

God sees everything.
It's nothing to do with religion, its decorum in public.

Same reason you can't walk around naked in the UK. People will get offended. Walk around at home naked, no one will say anything.

It's the same with the alcohol situation, people will find it offensive. A qatari has every right to walk anywhere they like in their own country and not get offended in public, the emir must have realised that and banned alcohol sales or consulted with the various tribes to come to that conclusion.

Same reason you can't walk around naked in the UK. People will get offended. Walk around at home naked, no one will say anything.

It's the same with the alcohol situation, people will find it offensive. A qatari has every right to walk anywhere they like in their own country and not get offended in public, the emir must have realised that and banned alcohol sales or consulted with the various tribes to come to that conclusion.
Rubbish, plenty of people are offended by something when they walk about their own country. I find burkas offensive, doesn’t mean I have the right to demand people stop wearing it.

Ah, my sarcasm didn't come across well there.

In my opinion, this is all FIFA's fault. They awarded a world cup to a country with no footballing tradition, no stadiums and totally unsuitable weather for a summer tournament, in full knowledge of the human rights situation there.

I'm pretty much in the "their country, their rules" camp. Again, all of this was known prior to the decision to award, and that was the time to complain, not now.

I'm very envious of you having been to Iran, by the way. I quite fancy a trip there. Did you go to any historic sites?

Which is great and everything. But ultimately working people across the world saved for an event and many of them have now had one of the big factors in that event removed. I completely understand that for cultural and religious reasons Quatar can decide not to allow alcohol sales. But they should have decided that when bidding for the world cup. This is a blatant bait and switch where they attract the prestigious world cup with false promises and then take away a big part of the event for many people. They should have either made it clear from the start that alcohol in the stadium was not allowed, or once ticket sales had gone ahead then continue to allow it.

Last edited:
Which is great and everything. But ultimately working people across the world saved for an event and many of them have now had one of the big factors in that event removed. I completely understand that for cultural and religious reasons Quatar can decide not to allow alcohol sales. But they should have decided that when bidding for the world cup. This is a blatant bait and switch where they attract the prestigious world cup with false promises and then take away a big part of the event for many people. They should have either made it clear from the start that alcohol in the stadium was not allowed, or once ticket sales had gone ahead then continue to allow it.
Yes true, but I also believe that the fact that alcohol is for sale is irrelevant. It's an international tournament and each country will have its own customs which the tournament should abide by all in the spirit of it being in a different country.
If qatar banned alcohol and usa permitted alcohol, why should that swing it, otherwise we just end up with the same group of countries.

Last edited:
Rubbish, plenty of people are offended by something when they walk about their own country. I find burkas offensive, doesn’t mean I have the right to demand people stop wearing it.
You must be in the minority of that otherwise we would have changed the law.

I woudl suspect the majority of qataris would find drunk people swigging beer offensive.

Last edited:
Ah, my sarcasm didn't come across well there.

In my opinion, this is all FIFA's fault. They awarded a world cup to a country with no footballing tradition, no stadiums and totally unsuitable weather for a summer tournament, in full knowledge of the human rights situation there.

I'm pretty much in the "their country, their rules" camp. Again, all of this was known prior to the decision to award, and that was the time to complain, not now.

I'm very envious of you having been to Iran, by the way. I quite fancy a trip there. Did you go to any historic sites?
Yes, i have been to shiraz, esfahan. The center of esfahan is amazing, if you like that kind of stuff, I also recommend Uzbekistan and its easier to go on a british passport.

Well why hasnt the law been changed then? Seems like their system of governance is probably more effective.

Much smaller population, pretty sure making laws that most are ok with is far easier when you population of just under 3m compared to one with 70m. And majority of eligible voters practice the same religion. Not that, that matters to much, as it's as close to an absolute monarchy without being one.

Much smaller population, pretty sure making laws that most are ok with is far easier when you population of just under 3m compared to one with 70m. And majority of eligible voters practice the same religion. Not that, that matters to much, as it's as close to an absolute monarchy without being one.
They ban alcohol, no one says anything, we ban the burka. Total chaos. The majority of voters in the UK are Christian, but we let ourselves be dictated to by the minority.

They ban alcohol, no one says anything, we ban the burka. Total chaos. The majority of voters in the UK are Christian, but we let ourselves be dictated to by the minority.

No they have already banned alcohol.

The majority of voters in the UK are Christian, but we let ourselves be dictated to by the minority.

Seriously stop this nonsense.

Last edited:

Isn't it more to do with the timing? They said it was fine and then changed their mind a few days before the World Cup after everyone has purchased tickets and accomodation etc.

Last edited:
Unfortunately we allow very small minority views too much of a say in how the country is run. The UK has a problem with special interest groups gaining disproportional political power.

Though UK Christians are probably not comparable with Qatari Muslims, as I would expect the vast majority or Qatar Muslims to be practising ones.
In the UK the majority of Christians are not practising (as in going to church on a weekly basis or regularly praying if they are not affiliated with a specific Christian order)

Back
Top Bottom