Joe Lycett - Qatar/Beckham debate

Much smaller population, pretty sure making laws that most are ok with is far easier when you population of just under 3m compared to one with 70m. And majority of eligible voters practice the same religion. Not that, that matters to much, as it's as close to an absolute monarchy without being one.
lol 3m?

Only 300k are qatari, about the size of nottingham.

Back to the walking around naked thing. Why don't people tolerate that here? Does that make us intolerant?
That’s perfectly fine to not accept imo as it is lewd and offensive.

It’s more about our politics really. The same people who are saying it’s their country, their rules are the same people who would scream blue murder and racist accusations if we banned burkas, despite it being the majority view.

lol 3m?

Only 300k are qatari, about the size of nottingham.

Please read again, the population of Qatar just under 3m. I didn't say they were ethnically Qatari.

And why the lol, the smaller the number the more valid my point. Though you can vote and not be an ethnic Qatari, the vast majorly of voters are Muslim and there are no political parties, so that vote is pretty weak.

Last edited:
That’s perfectly fine to not accept imo as it is lewd and offensive.

It’s more about our politics really. The same people who are saying it’s their country, their rules are the same people who would scream blue murder and racist accusations if we banned burkas, despite it being the majority view.
Is it reasonable for Qataris to find drunk people and consumption of alcohol lewd and offensive considering its almost non existant in their society and culture? Or are they wrong for finding it offensive?

Is it reasonable for Qataris to find drunk people and consumption of alcohol lewd and offensive considering its almost non existant in their society and culture? Or are they wrong for finding it offensive?
No it’s not, but if they do, don’t apply to be a World Cup host nation. Like it or not, drinking is part of the football culture and has been since the birth of football.

And if you are going to host it, don’t be deceitful by agreeing certaing things then pulling the ******* plug two days before it starts.

Besides the controversy about Qatar hosting, it just feels so unusual to be having the world cup in late November! I follow footy far less than I used to, used to play a bit and bought a pair of the Adidas Predator v1 boots just after release (I still remember the QED program about Craig Johnston gluing half rubber balls to standard boots), but I can't recall another world cup over my lifetime when it wasn't held in UK summer time.

Last edited:
No it’s not, but if they do, don’t apply to be a World Cup host nation. Like it or not, drinking is part of the football culture and has been since the birth of football.

And if you are going to host it, don’t be deceitful by agreeing certaing things then pulling the ******* plug two days before it starts.
Forcing drinking to be part of the culture for sports goes against the spirit of an international tournament. i am sure the Saudi Arabian team doesn't have drinking as part of the culture. If serving alcohol is a prerequisite to hosting a tournament then its kind of intolerant don't you think? It goes against the spirit of the game.

(btw i disagree with the last minute switcharoo i have no idea why they did that)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom