Joe Lycett - Qatar/Beckham debate

Key difference is that one group are slaves and the other are not.
Slaves aren’t paid are they?

Oh lol the official name is fan leader network

First face you see is… David beckham is he the head of slaves or something.

the press is just such fabricated nonsense

We’re they really counting 3 guys that died on the way to work as a World Cup death?

Last edited:
First face you see is… David beckham is he the head of slaves or something.

the press is just such fabricated nonsense
Without intention, you've literally just demonstrated the credibility that David Beckham can bring purely by association, which is the very reason he's being criticised for this shameful sell out.

Just a "retired footballer" - :p

• Haha
Reactions: NVP
Without intention, you've literally just demonstrated the credibility that David Beckham can bring purely by association, which is the very reason he's being criticised for this shameful sell out.

Just a "retired footballer" - :p
Credibility of what? Did you read the article or just jump on an associated name.

"It was an honour to meet such a global icon of world football in my home country,” said Al Isaq. “To learn about his experiences of playing in the World Cup and his anticipation for the tournament in our country was a rare and unique privilege."

They're literally just creaming over meeting a "retired footballer"... before a football tournament.

Last edited:
I am sure that David Beckham works more behind the scenes promoting youth football and the like and does not need to be baited by a minor celeb threatening to shred 10k as a publicity stunt. Let him do it, few will notice.

Reactions: SPG

At least this guy has called everyone out on the bull.

Budweiser happy to sell beers there.(or not haha)
Mcdonalds happy to sell big macs there.
Adidas happy to have their logo splashed all over it
etc etc.

I'm not going to contribute money towards a fascist regime where doing or saying something "offensive" can land you in big trouble.
You aren't contributing to anything, you're visiting the iranian people.

Giving some money to the bloke who runs a hotel there, or has a shop selling carpets.

What you've said is a recycled line that peopel say without actually any thought to what it actually means.

Last edited:
Well, yes, it does.

Someone here posted that a gay friend he knows is going to Qatar. If it's illegal to simply BE gay then he's in real risk of being arrested regardless of him not doing any homosexual acts as defined in their penal codes. If not then he won't have the risk.

Having spent years in Saudi with an almost identical "justice" system it's a bit of both and can get quite confusing -

Physical Acts - If you get caught then you would imagine it's illegal - that one seems simple - however in reality it's not a black/white decision as it depends on who gets caught and how "public" the act was (i.e. was it seen by foreigners or locals etc). If you are a local with some form of high ranking social power due to "who you know" (called Wasta) then you can get away with illegal things and the more Wasta you have the more illegal things you can get away with, whereas foreigner tourists have an inbuilt amount of Wasta as they are technically a "guest" which is important in Islam so they get more leeway in judicial decisions but will be expelled immediately (within hours) rather than anything more severe (not the same for ex-pats, thats different).

Being Gay - If you are gay, even if you do not practice any homosexual acts whilst in the country, if a local complains to the police that you are gay (maybe they see your phone screensaver is you kissing a man etc) then you can still be arrested. However, as a foreigner again at worst you would only you have the potential to be expelled from the country rather than being given the death penalty, not because your "crime" is lesser than one carried between locals, but mostly due to PR reasons.

So with Middle Eastern culture it is less about Black/White judicial decisions being made around tourists, instead the "rules" become very flexible when the Royal Family/Government need them to be as long as the outcome shows the country in a "good" light.

At least this guy has called everyone out on the bull.

Budweiser happy to sell beers there.(or not haha)
Mcdonalds happy to sell big macs there.
Adidas happy to have their logo splashed all over it
etc etc.

I thought this was quite a bold and brave thing to come out with - good for him.

Of course, his actual message gets diluted by condensing it into punchy headlines. The BBC is running this as "Fifa president Gianni Infantino accuses West of 'hypocrisy'" - which is true but there is more focus on him going against the grain, than what he actually said.

I suppose that's inevitable with headlines.

Last edited:
Of course its hypocrisy.

If "we" the country and indeed other countries gave a single **** we wouldn't be going.

That's why I just cba with old joe there threatening to throw himself into a chipper unless beckham dances for him.

Our government is ok with it, our sporting organisations are ok with it but wait beckham is going to attend :eek:

Lets get really weird about beckham before slobbing out to watch the games anyway.

Having spent years in Saudi with an almost identical "justice" system it's a bit of both and can get quite confusing -

Physical Acts - If you get caught then you would imagine it's illegal - that one seems simple - however in reality it's not a black/white decision as it depends on who gets caught and how "public" the act was (i.e. was it seen by foreigners or locals etc). If you are a local with some form of high ranking social power due to "who you know" (called Wasta) then you can get away with illegal things and the more Wasta you have the more illegal things you can get away with, whereas foreigner tourists have an inbuilt amount of Wasta as they are technically a "guest" which is important in Islam so they get more leeway in judicial decisions but will be expelled immediately (within hours) rather than anything more severe (not the same for ex-pats, thats different).

Being Gay - If you are gay, even if you do not practice any homosexual acts whilst in the country, if a local complains to the police that you are gay (maybe they see your phone screensaver is you kissing a man etc) then you can still be arrested. However, as a foreigner again at worst you would only you have the potential to be expelled from the country rather than being given the death penalty, not because your "crime" is lesser than one carried between locals, but mostly due to PR reasons.

So with Middle Eastern culture it is less about Black/White judicial decisions being made around tourists, instead the "rules" become very flexible when the Royal Family/Government need them to be as long as the outcome shows the country in a "good" light.
So there’s no equality of law, it’s just who you are or who you are, and presumably, how rich you are.

That annoys me just as much as everything else

Reactions: B&W
Of course its hypocrisy.

If "we" the country and indeed other countries gave a single **** we wouldn't be going.

That's why I just cba with old joe there threatening to throw himself into a chipper unless beckham dances for him.

Our government is ok with it, our sporting organisations are ok with it but wait beckham is going to attend :eek:

Lets get really weird about beckham before slobbing out to watch the games anyway.
I think the point is that due to the fact that organisations are more interested in appeasing Qatar/FIFA that the only target that is possibly malleable would be personalities with big followings. Lycett isn't picking on Beckham for no reason.

I thought this was quite a bold and brave thing to come out with - good for him.

Of course, his actual message gets diluted by condensing it into punchy headlines. The BBC is running this as "Fifa president Gianni Infantino accuses West of 'hypocrisy'" - which is true but there is more focus on him going against the grain, than what he actually said.

I suppose that's inevitable with headlines.

That would be quite creditable If FIFA were squeaky clean on dodgy deals, backhanders etc., over many world cups. I am sure they could have specified earnings for migrant workers and safety standards for stadium construction in the bidding process. They didn't and are just expecting the normal high returns from the visiting supporters and sponsors to keep them in the comfort and style that they are accustomed too. I doubt they really give a damn either about lesbians and gay men or migrant workers. It's just awkward for them that some are questioning.

In fact it is more on FIFA than Qatar thinking about it. And what's with a winter World Cup?

That would be quite creditable If FIFA were squeaky clean on dodgy deals, backhanders etc., over many world cups. I am sure they could have specified earnings for migrant workers and safety standards for stadium construction in the bidding process. They didn't and are just expecting the normal high returns from the visiting supporters and sponsors to keep them in the comfort and style that they are accustomed too. I doubt they really give a damn either about lesbians and gay men or migrant workers. It's just awkward for them that some are questioning.

In fact it is more on FIFA than Qatar thinking about it. And what's with a winter World Cup?

I can't dispute that approach to it - I agree. But I also still think there is some merit to Infantino's comments.

Back
Top Bottom