Joe Lycett - Qatar/Beckham debate

Both, I’m not excusing FIFA either, but they can only take bribes when it is offered to them. If Qatar had morals, they would have played by the rules like every other applicant.

Its not just Qatar. I firmly believe that Russia bribed FIFA too, but a discussion on their morals and respect is utterly pointless.

No coincidence that the emir and Putin have been buddying up lately.

South Africa was a bribed bid as well. Africans were bribed to get Blatter into power in return they got a world cup. The 1978 world cup in Argentina was also bribed. No surprise there. It is also alleged that France 98 was rigged so Brazil and France would meet in the final. At least that's what filthy Platini said.

Last edited:
The biased anti qatar media missed this one off the front pages didnt they.

"Gay Fifa director reassures public in Qatar that everyone's welcome"
Yeah, I’m not just gonna take FIFA’s word for it tbh.

one hell of a porky he's telling.

“Today I feel Qatari,” he said. “Today I feel Arabic. Today I feel African. Today I feel gay. Today I feel disabled. Today I feel [like] a migrant worker.”

He added: “Of course I am not Qatari, I am not an Arab, I am not African, I am not gay, I am not disabled. But I feel like it, because I know what it means to be discriminated [against], to be bullied, as a foreigner in a foreign country. As a child I was bullied – because I had red hair and freckles, plus I was Italian, so imagine.”

Later it was pointed out that in his opening monologue, he had missed out half the world’s population. “I feel like a woman too!” Infantino added.

I didn’t say anything about being drunk. You can enjoy a beer without getting drunk.

Literally every football fan I’ve know likes a drink or two before, during or after a game.
I didn't say anything about being drunk either.

Either you don't know many or you need to broaden your friendship group.

Please watch the video! It's his colleague. Demonstrating my point perfectly how the media ignored that entire part!

You are right I had mistaken which person you had put forward but lets be honest isnt that just like all the people that stood by Boris saying he was a stand up guy.

Anyway. I dont really care enough either way to argue about this if Im honest.

who's worse the person giving the bribes or taking the bribes.
Neither they are just as bad. That is the point point while the the end result should remain. The countries for the teams involved should have immediately boycotted the World Cup. Simple as that.

A country like Qatar should NOT be hosting.

Thats pretty insulting actually. I’m glad you think so little of my friends because they enjoy a beer with the football
Maybe dial back the sensitivity a bit?

All he said was maybe you need a broader social group to find people who enjoy football without alcohol, he didn't say your friends were lesser for doing so.

Neither they are just as bad. That is the point point while the the end result should remain. The countries for the teams involved should have immediately boycotted the World Cup. Simple as that.

A country like Qatar should NOT be hosting.

Some of the runners up make interesting reading!

But why should I find friends who don’t drink?

It just seems like he deems people who drink as somehow inferior.
I think you're reading too much into it.

I'd agree with him - the notion that alcohol is a 'part of football' is outdated, plenty of people these days enjoy football without drinking.

I only drink at football if i've been invited to a box because it is part of that experience - if I just attended as a regular ticket holder I don't drink before, during or after the game.

If you've literally never met anyone who doesn't drink at football, that's not a slight on you or your friends that do drink but there's plenty of people out there who don't, that you've evidently never met.

Thats pretty insulting actually. I’m glad you think so little of my friends because they enjoy a beer with the football
Bless, taking offence for offences sake hey? If you actually took the time to read something without letting your emotions lead you perhaps you'd be a little better at comprehending the world.

It just seems like he deems people who drink as somehow inferior.
Mate, I'm a huuuuuuuge drinker. It's my religion.

Reread what I've previously written without taking anything personally (apart from the above :D)

Last edited:
The main conference guy is the perfect example of someone white knighting for money. Selling his soul for money.

He's probably getting big money for this.

The biased anti qatar media missed this one off the front pages didnt they.

"Gay Fifa director reassures public in Qatar that everyone's welcome"

They aren't welcomed. They are tolerated, to a point. The same with people drinking alcohol.

If that guy is gay then it shows how few morals he has to not speak up in defense of gay people, especially the ones who live in Qatar.

It's a hell of a PR job that is happening.

I'd agree with him - the notion that alcohol is a 'part of football' is outdated, plenty of people these days enjoy football without drinking.

I only drink at football if i've been invited to a box because it is part of that experience - if I just attended as a regular ticket holder I don't drink before, during or after the game.
I thought buying alcohol got banned at some point in football? Though conveniently not in the box experience like you had. I think the people in the boxes at this WC can drink too.

I think in Rugby alcohol is still openly sold.

The main conference guy is the perfect example of someone white knighting for money. Selling his soul for money.

He's probably getting big money for this.

They aren't welcomed. They are tolerated, to a point. The same with people drinking alcohol.

If that guy is gay then it shows how few morals he has to not speak up in defense of gay people, especially the ones who live in Qatar.

It's a hell of a PR job that is happening.

I thought buying alcohol got banned at some point in football? Though conveniently not in the box experience like you had. I think the people in the boxes at this WC can drink too.

I think in Rugby alcohol is still openly sold.
You can drink in all UK stadium concourses before during and after a game, but not in the stands or anywhere during play.

The rule was introduced in 1985 after lots of hooligan problems. It is expected to be reviewed and softened soon.

Last edited:
alcohol or, maybe they just decided with euro 2020 and, UK like, behaviour, alcohol should be limited , and there was no convenient point to introduce that change,
many fans flying in for individual matches, who wants problems afterwards on those, either,
must be a stockpile of beer somewhere though, and, now, mass imports of soft drinks ?

Back
Top Bottom