Joe Lycett - Qatar/Beckham debate

What's been quite interesting is how dominant the LGBTQIAP+ criticisms of Qatar have been, with general human rights, abuse / modern slavery of migrant workers, and women's rights taking a real back seat. The big news stories are about the rainbow armbands, 'rain bow' plane, Joe Lycett above with his gay icon Beckham, etc.

My gf is quite annoyed about the women's rights issues in particular and normally she'd be more likely to watch the World Cup than me, but this year she just doesn't feel able to enjoy it knowing what kind of a country it's in.

Last edited:
The rainbow coalition probably have a bigger budget,definitely a bigger presence on twitter et al. than all the other -isms, feminism etc., put together. As proven by the shouting down of their opponents. They are a small minority but with loud voices whereas women are a majority with a restrained voice.

The shredding of the Attitude Magazine is much more poignant. Good on him.

He’s very good at getting a message out there and getting people talking. Guys an artist and a genius.

Agreed, he's transcending comedy and into politics & art and he's great entertainment into the bargain.

I haven't enjoyed the spectacle of the perpetually outraged since 2008 when I watched an episode of Question Time on an oil rig in a TV lounge packed full of Geordies, with Grayson Perry on the panel wearing a long powder-blue dress with puffed sleeves and full Aunt Sally make up.

Class :p

Last edited:
Agreed, he's transcending comedy and into politics & art and he's great entertainment into the bargain.

I haven't enjoyed the spectacle of the perpetually outraged since 2008 when I watched an episode of Question Time on an oil rig in a TV lounge packed full of Geordies, with Grayson Perry on the panel wearing a long powder-blue dress with puffed sleeves and full Aunt Sally make up.

Class :p

Says the guy bringing Rosa Parks out of left field as a deflection yesterday. I don't know quite how he succeeded politically either.

What's been quite interesting is how dominant the LGBTQIAP+ criticisms of Qatar have been, with general human rights, abuse / modern slavery of migrant workers, and women's rights taking a real back seat. The big news stories are about the rainbow armbands, 'rain bow' plane, Joe Lycett above with his gay icon Beckham, etc.

My gf is quite annoyed about the women's rights issues in particular and normally she'd be more likely to watch the World Cup than me, but this year she just doesn't feel able to enjoy it knowing what kind of a country it's in.
That seems to be on purpose imo.

Mind you if women were annoyed and aren't talking about it then it's on them really.

That seems to be on purpose imo.

Mind you if women were annoyed and aren't talking about it then it's on them really.
Well yes, doesn't reflect that well on public representatives or media though, who should ideally be giving emphasis to all these issues. Not sure whether the issue is really that women aren't talking about it, or that women's issues & modern slavery etc just aren't as sexy for the big media and celebrity characters who drive public engagement as they once were.

Last edited:
Well yes, doesn't reflect that well on public representatives or media though, who should ideally be giving emphasis to all these issues. Not sure whether the issue is really that women aren't talking about it, or that women's issues & modern slavery etc just aren't as sexy for the big media and celebrity characters who drive public engagement as they once were.

What is a suitable amount of agitation about the administration of another country?

The amount of 3rd party everything involved seriously affects the connection people have. You're going on faith rather than the certainty of having lived it.

Last edited:
I wonder how the majority of qatari women think about it, or is it everyone knowing what's best for qataris again.
People used to say that sort of thing about Iran, how it was just cultural imperialism / islamophobia to think that actually the state should treat women more equally etc... But now it has become extremely obvious that actually large numbers of them did not in fact like being repressed, and would indeed like more freedom and less abuse thank you very much (although a select minority continue to defend Iran...).

Iran aside, whatever Qatari women think, I think there have to be some things which we can treat as universal values when it comes to criticising state discrimination and human rights abuses. Doesn't mean we need to invade them to free the women or whatever, but does mean there's nothing wrong with criticising their policy and laws.

What is a suitable amount of agitation about the administration of another country?

The amount of 3rd party everything involved seriously affects the connection people have. You're going on faith rather than the certainty of having lived it.
I couldn't set a target proportion of words, but I think 'more than there has been' is enough. Just a bit more media attention on some of the other human rights issues, and if the team were going to wear a rainbow armband maybe they could have considered some gestures targeted at other very obvious incompatibilities with accepted UK values too.

In some way I don't really want to criticise any individual figure or organisation too much for what I perceive as imbalance, more than anything I just think it's interesting where the focus has been.

Last edited:
I have to say this statement from the FIFA guy is pricelss and something I am fairly sure I have seen here.

“I think for what we Europeans have been doing the last 3,000 years we should be apologising for next 3,000 years before starting to give moral lessons to people,” he said during an extraordinary hour-long monologue.

I have to say this statement from the FIFA guy is pricelss and something I am fairly sure I have seen here.

The utter genius that is “Whataboutism” meaning no one should do anything ever because other things exist.

Joe has made a lot of haters look very stupid, including the usual idiots itt.

Last edited:
ah yea. No one is talking about the hypocrisy of Beckham. And no one is talking about gay rights in Qatar. My mistake.

It did nothing apart from give the perpetually offended a topic to latch on to until the next drama comes along for them to be offended about and they get bored on the current one.... The way kids do when new toys come along.

You want to talk hypocrisy - the England players who are all for equality and LGBT rights then back down at the last minute regarding armbands or actually play in the tournament itself.

I'll overturn that comment for players that donate what they are paid for playing in the WC to charities.

There we go, let's see Lycett campaign for that one - all players in the National teams that are decrying Qatar to donate their wages earned for this competition to charities.

All a load of ****, Russia is homophobic so is south Africa where was this Joe lycett then?

Men and women aren't allowed to commit acts of sexual ludeness in public. It's same for the LGBT brigade.

Back
Top Bottom