Joe Lycett - Qatar/Beckham debate

I have to say this statement from the FIFA guy is pricelss and something I am fairly sure I have seen here.
I don't think that Europe was particularly dominant a thousand years before Christ. Certainly compared with China, Mesopotamia, India, Egypt, Persia, THEN Greece and Rome.
Exactly. Western Europeans were barbarians in animal skins worshipping trees and the Sun 3,000 years ago.

It’s only for the last 500 years or so that we decided to travel to new lands and treat the people we found there the same way we’ve been treating our neighbours for the preceding 2,500 years.

What's been quite interesting is how dominant the LGBTQIAP+ criticisms of Qatar have been, with general human rights, abuse / modern slavery of migrant workers, and women's rights taking a real back seat. The big news stories are about the rainbow armbands, 'rain bow' plane, Joe Lycett above with his gay icon Beckham, etc.

My gf is quite annoyed about the women's rights issues in particular and normally she'd be more likely to watch the World Cup than me, but this year she just doesn't feel able to enjoy it knowing what kind of a country it's in.

Because it’s being spear headed by white men, and with that comes the privilege of white men who muscle out any other issues and everything is always about the lgbqt lot.

Not that I can be bothered with reading the entire and putting ad but aside from the corruption of being awarded in the first place.

Is it simply not just a case of "their country, their rules" ? if you do not like it, do not go, do not watch it, do not listen to and do not buy any merchandise from it.

Exactly. Western Europeans were barbarians in animal skins worshipping trees and the Sun 3,000 years ago.

It’s only for the last 500 years or so that we decided to travel to new lands and treat the people we found there the same way we’ve been treating our neighbours for the preceding 2,500 years.
Whose we? You mean white Europeans? Humans have been treating each other like **** throughout human history, these places that 'we' traveled to weren't exactly shining beacons of paradise they were pretty barbaric.

Last edited:
All a load of ****, Russia is homophobic so is south Africa where was this Joe lycett then?

Men and women aren't allowed to commit acts of sexual ludeness in public. It's same for the LGBT brigade.

Called hypocrisy, seems like some people only call out Muslims, wonder why that is.
Is it illegal in those other countries with hefty a prison sentance and or death though?

Love how you turn it all around to make Muslims the victims, well played. Own your prejudice, stop the fake tears, it's nauseating.

Whose we? You mean white Europeans? Humans have been treating each other like **** throughout human history, these places that 'we' traveled to weren't exactly shining beacons of paradise they were pretty barbaric.
I'm pretty sure India had the world's largest economy, the Arab world was the most advanced in science at one point, Persia, china etc etc.

To think they turned up to people caves throwing spears at each other is just plain wrong

I'm pretty sure India had the world's largest economy, the Arab world was the most advanced in science at one point, Persia, china etc etc.

To think they turned up to people caves throwing spears at each other is just plain wrong
Persia's decline happened after it tried to invade Europe didnt it, ditto the arab world and Islam with the 1st crusade. The barbaric comment was more aimed at the americas, unless you think the constant warfare of the indian tribes in north america was all handshakes and working things out over a bowl of ice cream, ditto the empires of south america.

Last edited:
Persia's decline happened after it tried to invade Europe didnt it, ditto the arab world and Islam with the 1st crusade. The barbaric comment was more aimed at the americas, unless you think the constant warfare of the indian tribes in north america was all handshakes and working things out over a bowl of ice cream, ditto the empires of south america.
Did the foreigners turn up with peace propositions?

We can look into very recent history of imprerialism in Afghanistan, what did the foreigners achieve there? They didn't bring a message of peace that's for sure.

Baffling how some believe that, if someone lies to morally blackmail someone, then the people who are being lied to are somehow bad people.

I'm relieved that the money went to a presumably good cause, rather than being destroyed.

I still say this was a pathetic stunt, which also failed to achieve its stated objective.

We can look into very recent history of imprerialism in Afghanistan, what did the foreigners achieve there? They didn't bring a message of peace that's for sure.
I'm sure the women there are much happier now they are being beaten again by their husbands and treated like property, its what God intended right?

What are you even trying to defend? Their cultures are rancid.

I'm sure the women there are much happier now they are being beaten again by their husbands and treated like property, its what God intended right?

What are you even trying to defend? Their cultures are rancid.
So are they much better off or worse?

I am 100% defending their right to be free of invaders that achieved precisely nothing. They should have spend 2 trillion on schools in Afghanistan.

Quite often they were begged to help by tribes that were being decimated by the ruling empire of the time.
How did the Iran/Iraq war go? How about the Syrian civil war? How's the Yemeni civil war going? The middle east is a mess, in part due to western efforts in part due to the intolerance of faith, even subsets of the same faith.

Quite often they were begged to help by tribes that were being decimated by the ruling empire of the time.

How did the Iran/Iraq war go? How about the Syrian civil war? How's the Yemeni civil war going? The middle east is a mess, in part due to western efforts in part due to the intolerance of faith, even subsets of the same faith.
The western efforts just made things worse. ISIS was a result of it.

Personally I think we will see a renaissance of the middle east within the next 20 years. The world cup is just the beginning.

So are they much better off or worse?

I am 100% defending their right to be free of invaders that achieved precisely nothing. They should have spend 2 trillion on schools in Afghanistan.
You mean Schools that they aren't allowed to attend? They achieved plenty, the culture and religion is so archaic that it reversed those achievements overnight.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom