Joe Lycett - Qatar/Beckham debate

Silly stunt, from a “Cupid stunt” , who it seems didn’t shred any cash in the first place…..

As ever, our media just fell all over this instead of showing it up for the meaningless publicity stunt it was….

Silly stunt, from a “Cupid stunt” , who it seems didn’t shred any cash in the first place…..

As ever, our media just fell all over this instead of showing it up for the meaningless publicity stunt it was….
Well it was clearly not meaningless if the media couldn't help itself trying to paint him as a jerk for shredding a significant sum of cash during a recession.

Eh? That's what's being discussed, his silly little stunt.

He's not strictly having a go at David Beckham in my opinion. However, David Beckham fits the narrative on a couple of levels.

He's wanting to raise awareness for LGBTQ rights in Qatar and the wider human rights issues which he has done. Beckham as a 'gay icon' and champion to a degree of gay rights would appear hypocritical to take money that Qatar are offering despite his obvious standings in the footballing world. Also the fact that there was a film called bend it like Beckham off the back one free kick against Greece made it quite simple to make it into the #benderslikebeckham play on words that combines both the reference of gay albeit not in a non pc way and Beckham / football for his stunt.

There's very little point in throwing it at charity when the government keeps ******* up the state such that more and more people are in need of help, better to try and agitate people instead in the hope that enough agitation results in some upheaval.
In the real world hardly anyone has taken notice

Not that I can be bothered with reading the entire and putting ad but aside from the corruption of being awarded in the first place.

Is it simply not just a case of "their country, their rules" ? if you do not like it, do not go, do not watch it, do not listen to and do not buy any merchandise from it.
I have to be honest, i've looked at the match timetable and it all seems pretty boring until the Mexico Vs Argentina on the 3rd Dec. This WC seems pretty crap and i doubt i'll watch anything until the quarter finals

Personally I think we will see a renaissance of the middle east within the next 20 years. The world cup is just the beginning.

Quite the opposite i feel. As the pendulum swings both ways, i see the west becoming quite conservative within the next 20 years as increasing amount of people are sick of "liberal" values and all the BS it brings with it. There's defiantly something in the air and something building up on social media platforms and there's going to be a huge snap back

Doubt it.

Young people tend to be more liberal, so the old conservative people will die off and be replaced by more liberal youngsters.

People make a lot of noise on social media but rarely do much other than vote.

Last edited:
He's not strictly having a go at David Beckham in my opinion.

He literally shredded a picture of Beckham and his demands were for Beckham to stop earning money from the world cup... I don't see him saying much to the England team (that would be unpopular) or the BBC (that could affect his livelihood) so he takes a pop at a private individual and makes demands of them.

In the end he's paid 10k but also got some cheap publicity for himself, he looks like the good guy while taking no career risk himself, he'll no doubt carry on working with the BBC while they'll carry on showing world cup footage...

What a bizarre twist to proceedings; team Iran was the real winner yesterday. :)

England have never enjoyed an opening World Cup match like this. Six goals, and a performance soaked in exuberance and enticing possibilities, laid down an early marker for the next four weeks in Qatar. Yet this game will surely be remembered for something else entirely: the remarkable sight of Iran’s players refusing to sing the national anthem in a gesture of solidarity with oppressed women and protestors back home.

Last edited:
Doubt it.

Young people tend to be more liberal, so the old conservative people will die off and be replaced by more liberal youngsters.

People make a lot of noise on social media but rarely do much other than vote.

Who which themselves turn conservative as real life smacks them in the face and realize liberalism doesn't pay the bills. Otherwise conservativism would have died decades ago

Weird how people got more angry about this, than the fact of where the games are being held.
Im more amazed at how cheaply all the players threw their morals in a chipper machine because they might be shown a big bad yellow card.

Last edited:
Im more amazed at how cheaply all the players threw their morals in a chipper machine because they might be shown a big bad yellow card.
I think that's probably the most embarrassing aspect of this whole controversy on a national level.

Deciding to make some kind of a gesture to reflect concerns about treatment of gay people, and then backing out under threat of a yellow card is just pathetic. What kind of moral conviction is that?

I'm not sure what the right approach from the UK teams to the World Cup should have been. But by choosing to make a gesture and then backing out when it turns out there might be some minor consequences they've made themselves look very fake and cheap.

Last edited:
I think that's probably the most embarrassing aspect of this whole controversy on a national level.

Deciding to make some kind of a gesture to reflect concerns about treatment of gay people, and then backing out under threat of a yellow card is just pathetic. What kind of moral conviction is that?

I'm not sure what the right approach from the UK teams to the World Cup should have been. But by choosing to make a gesture and then backing out when it turns out there might be some minor consequences they've made themselves look very fake and cheap.
Especially as some of the players are more than happy to risk picking up a yellow card for diving in the box.

Back
Top Bottom