Joe Lycett - Qatar/Beckham debate

Weird how people got more angry about this, than the fact of where the games are being held.
Im more amazed at how cheaply all the players threw their morals in a chipper machine because they might be shown a big bad yellow card.

There is huge hypocrisy in the media and bashing the "Worthy Oriental Gentlemen" when everybody knows it is FIFA and a huge money making exercise on all sides.

Hmm but tiktok or multiple news outlets?

I trust creators on TikTok far more than the biased news outlets, they're just vlogging their experiences.

In before the they are paid by qatar accusations

Last edited:
Im more amazed at how cheaply all the players threw their morals in a chipper machine because they might be shown a big bad yellow card.

Deciding to make some kind of a gesture to reflect concerns about treatment of gay people, and then backing out under threat of a yellow card is just pathetic. What kind of moral conviction is that?

They've gone there to play in the football tournament. Having the whole team sit on yellow cards for the match is quite the handicap and would hinder any potential chance of progressing through said tournament.

Think. What's the point in going, amidst all the controversy, if you're not going to give it your best shot.

Moan, moan, moan.

Last edited:
I trust creators on TikTok far more than the biased news outlets, they're just vlogging their experiences.

In before the they are paid by qatar accusations
I mean it's the wolrd cup fan camp, how do you "fake" that across all news media who have covered the same place? A few tik tok users vs everyone else - I think the decision is an easy one here on which seems to be more accurate.

Even football accounts with millions of followers are posting other angles of the same place:

Comments comparing it to Fyre Festival seem accurate. You expect more for £170+ a night!

Last edited:
They've gone there to play in the football tournament. Having the whole team sit on yellow cards for the match is quite the handicap and would hinder any potential chance of progressing through said tournament.

Think. What's the point in going, amidst all the controversy, if you're not going to give it your best shot.

Moan, moan, moan.
What's the point in saying you'll make a gesture, and pretending to offer some kind of moral leadership if you're going to fold under the slightest pressure?

I don't think it's unreasonable to 'moan' about that. Are you really pleased with that outcome?

What's the point in saying you'll make a gesture, and pretending to offer some kind of moral leadership if you're going to fold under the slightest pressure?
I've explained the reason why that's not exactly the "slightest pressure", however you can continue to lie to yourself.

Are you really pleased with that outcome?

The players are having to toe quite the line, both professionally and morally in order to play in what is the career ambition of most footballers. I'd say they're coping with that pressure and all the external critisiscm quite well.

Weird how people got more angry about this, than the fact of where the games are being held.
No not really, sorry but we're not going to be gatekeeped on what we can criticized. What you posted is exactly the same as "So what you're saying...." Just because we hate blue, doesn't mean we like red. Saying otherwise shows 1-dimensional thinking
Agreed, shows how flimsy and weak the woke army is in the face of the real world

In the generality of this topic. Why is football or any sport to be the target for politics. Aim at the politicians not the sportsmen who are just earning a living and entertaining.

Is Qatar going to change its policies because of TV whingers, no.

I think negative perspective has, rightly, been magnified due to the initial corruption of the bid of this sporting event, then the human rights violations during the building of the stadiums for this sporting event, and then the potential safety concerns for the fans going to said sporting event.

When the sporting event is one of the most globally viewed events, it also becomes a platform for anyone who wishes to help highlight issues they feel are important, such as political ones.

Last edited:
I'm going to take a wild guess that the penalty for not singing doesn't include being carded.
The yellow card was the perfect opportunity to raise awareness; what's a protest without sacrifice? Their armbands were a hollow gesture and a demonstration that they aren't prepared to go beyond lip service - that's how they've ended up there in the first place - any one of them could have withdrawn from the squad on principle.

The Iranians may face a lot harsher rebuke than a yellow card, so your comment is a bit misplaced, IMO.

Last edited:
In the generality of this topic. Why is football or any sport to be the target for politics. Aim at the politicians not the sportsmen who are just earning a living and entertaining.

Is Qatar going to change its policies because of TV whingers, no.
Its way more than that when a newly built country on the backs of slaves is using sport in a way to try and make them look better, ya cant just turn a blind eye to it saying their is no connection.

Lots of money flowing from Qatar into politicians pockets as well as a few suspect PR firms whose sole business appears to be making these regimes look better which again pays to lobby governments.

It's impossible for an international sport not to be politically charged as the moment a politician mutters 'support your country' it's over.

When in Rome do as the Romans do. It’s their country, it’s pretty rich for us to judge given many of these changes are very very new here too.
Well the problem with that is that it's an international event that we partake in and could easily not partake in it if we wanted to.

I think that a far more relevant issue at hand here is the power FIFA seems to have over countries as a pseudo bureaucratic agency and needs to be reigned in by showing it that the teams have the power, not it. Unfortunately the establishment won't do that because the corruption gravy train would end.

Back
Top Bottom