Joe Lycett - Qatar/Beckham debate

Thats because a couple of blokes kicking a ball about matters more to those people than human rights. More of a statement about them really.
Tbf whether they go or not the tournament will still continue - this is a big event for fans, regardless of what's gone on they should still be allowed to enjoy it if they wish.

I kind of agree with Klopps sentiments on the matter, although not soley pointing at the media. It's too late now, let the players and fans enjoy it.

Boring, everything is hijacked by the weirdos and freaks looking for an agenda.

Each to their own but it's a different culture don't expect it to accommodate the western world it's a shame we are so accommodating the other way round

Last edited:
Tbf whether they go or not the tournament will still continue - this is a big event for fans, regardless of what's gone on they should still be allowed to enjoy it if they wish.

I kind of agree with Klopps sentiments on the matter, although not soley pointing at the media. It's too late now, let the players and fans enjoy it.

The tournament will continue. But if they didn't go then FIFA may start to take the hint that they need to think about where they stage it in the future when ad revenues take a dive for example.

Yea, I'm not so sure staying at home will keep the English fans away.

Thats because a couple of blokes kicking a ball about matters more to those people than human rights. More of a statement about them really.

I'm not sure they're really "English" tbh.. I mean they may well support England (or they may have been paid too) but a lot of these fans appear to be migrant workers:

I think you might have missed the context of the video there, fella. ;)

I don't see colour or language :p they could be from Torquay for all I know!

My point really being is there will be English people that travel there still. Or even English people over there that go. And there will be plenty of English people watching all around the world on TV.

Obv goes for all other nationalities too.

Last edited:
Another point I think on this one is something really needs to be done about the fact that somehow we have multiple leagues without a single homosexual player. It's crazy isn't it? Does professional football repel homosexuals?

Exactly. Its like people who sent thoughts and prayers but do absolutely nothing that would actually work and then profess to be deeply affected by an issue.

If you want to do something serious the time has probably passed but if you still want to do your utmost, don't watch it, boycott sponsors. All this performative ***** is just a way for people to have their cake and eat it too. "Yes I will watch every second of the WC but I will be doing it in protest and shining a light on their horrible culture".

There is something I especially hate about people who shout the loudest but when it comes to real action that negatively effects themselves they magically don't want to know. Thoughts and prayers.
I couldn’t agree more. How many of these people crying now are genuinely doing it for ordinary Qatari folk or are they doing it to make themselves feel good? I know where my money is because, taking Joe Lycette as a prime example - where were his tweets when it was announced Qatar was getting the World Cup. Who did he pressure or try to call out then when it mattered?
What did our countries governments, national associations or players or even fan associations do, other than wring their hands, when Qatar was announced? Nothing, zero. And now we’re meant to somehow as fans make some sort of positive impact on the Qatari government, now, with nothing as a bargaining chip other than our rainbow flags.

When they got the WC, that was the time to put pressure on them. But ‘we’ didn’t. We didn’t even do anything when it became clear slave labourers were being used. We didn’t even do anything when it became clear those same slave labourers were dying.
But now, somehow, we should do something, retrospectively?? We’ve already given Qatar the ok to continue on behaving like they are and that we’re going to do nothing but hand wave simply by giving them the World Cup and doing nothing about it. But hey, let’s hope a couple of players have a kiss during a match. That’ll set the country right. ;)

Last edited:
Another point I think on this one is something really needs to be done about the fact that somehow we have multiple leagues without a single homosexual player. It's crazy isn't it? Does professional football repel homosexuals?
What can you do? Force a gay person to be a footballer?

Back
Top Bottom