Joe Lycett - Qatar/Beckham debate

Unfortunately it seems to have been a loaded question.
Asked if it would be Islamophobic to impose alcohol requirements on a tournament, Saudi sports minister Prince Abdulaziz bin Turki Al-Faisal told Sky News: "Yes, because the World Cup is for everyone."

He added: "If you are against that, and you don't feel like you're going to enjoy your time coming, and you can't respect that rule, then don't come. It's as simple as that."

One part of this event though that I've only just realised since it's become practically irrelevant here is how China perceives the almost total lack of Covid-related measures that they still have to follow.

Last edited:
What I don't understand with all this is why we're only having the conversations now. Qatar was selected over 10 years ago. Why weren't these issues so high profile back then?

Also, if FIFA is such a poor corrupt organisation, why don't all the big footballing countries just get together and form a breakaway organisation and run their own world cup.

What I don't understand with all this is why we're only having the conversations now. Qatar was selected over 10 years ago. Why weren't these issues so high profile back then?
They were, the trouble is that previously being critical of Islam and all that entails was labeled as Islamophobic, which seems to have gone away as those on the left finally catch up to the rest of us. I have noticed that the current discussions are treading very carefully around the most obvious of elephants in the room however.

Also, if FIFA is such a poor corrupt organisation, why don't all the big footballing countries just get together and form a breakaway organisation and run their own world cup.
It's been criticised from the start, it's just getting much more publicity now that the tournament has kicked off and the world's media is fixed on events.

They were, the trouble is that previously being critical of Islam and all that entails was labeled as Islamophobic, which seems to have gone away as those on the left finally catch up to the rest of us. I have noticed that the current discussions are treading very carefully around the most obvious of elephants in the room however.

They were or they werent? make your mind up.

I highly doubt it was those that support or follow right wingers were the ones the left had to catch up with.

Last edited:
The Qataris are now wearing pro-Palestinian armbands:

Though pro-Palestinian insignia isn't so popular in Europe as some Celtic fans found out:

Celtic have been fined £8,616 by UEFA after fans displayed an "illicit banner" during their recent Champions League qualifier against Hapoel Be'er Sheva.

Fans flew Palestine flags before and during the match against Israeli opposition at Parkhead on Aug. 17, resulting in a charge from European football's governing body.

UEFA viewed the flags as illicit banners under Article 16 of its disciplinary regulations and at a disciplinary hearing the complaint against the Scottish champions was upheld and the club were fined.

Rainbow flags and rainbow bucket hats are now allowed for the fans in Qatar and were permitted for the Wales vs Iran game.

The Qataris are now wearing pro-Palestinian armbands:

Though pro-Palestinian insignia isn't so popular in Europe as some Celtic fans found out:

Rainbow flags and rainbow bucket hats are now allowed for the fans in Qatar and were permitted for the Wales vs Iran game.
It'd be a bit more controversial if it was pro-Hamas, but pro-Palestine is hardly controversial.

Back
Top Bottom