Joe Lycett - Qatar/Beckham debate

Yes but the laws that they are protesting against are very similar, so why does UAE get a free pass (pun intended).

It's just because some people can't bear to see a middle eastern country being the centre of the worlds attention in a positive manner.
Because the UAE didn't buy the world cup hosting rights with evolopes full of dirty cash then trash the worlds football calendar because low and behold they couldn't actually air condition the stadiums lol. Plenty of people object to all the clubs owned by nation states personally I don't see why we allow it but not just with football clubs Qatar seems to won half the country!

Because the UAE didn't buy the world cup hosting rights with evolopes full of dirty cash then trash the worlds football calendar because low and behold they couldn't actually air condition the stadiums lol. Plenty of people object to all the clubs owned by nation states personally I don't see why we allow it but not just with football clubs Qatar seems to won half the country!
Oh, so unless you "buy" a world cup (why was it even for sale?) all these issues don't matter lol.

Oh, so unless you "buy" a world cup (why was it even for sale?) all these issues don't matter lol.
No of course they matter, but for nobody to expect there to be a backlash when a country with no football heritage corruptly aquired the rights to host it's biggest tournament and then drove a bulldozer through it's traditions is silly. Every time a middle eastern country hosts a major sporting event the exact same topics are discussed and raised on the international stage just look at the coverage around Saudi hosting a GP and major Boxing matches, these countries are trying to use sport to enhance their international image and should be called out for it. The really sad thing is that major sports are so desperate for cash they don't care where it comes from!

Last edited:
No of course they matter, but for nobody to expect there to be a backlash when a country with no football heritage corruptly aquired the rights to host it's biggest tournament and then drove a bulldozer through it's traditions is silly. Every time a middle eastern country hosts a major sporting event the exact same topics are discussed and raised on the international stage just look at the coverage around Saudi hosting a GP and major Boxing matches, these countries are trying to use sport to enhance their international image and should be called out for it. The really sad thing is that major sports are so desperate for cash they don't care where it comes from!
So why do the football teams keep taking their dirty cash? Do other countries not use things to enhance their International image or are only certain "allowed" countries able to do this?

BTW I read that the FIFA tournament in summer disrupts the South American football tournaments, is this true?

Yes but the laws that they are protesting against are very similar, so why does UAE get a free pass (pun intended).

It's just because some people can't bear to see a middle eastern country being the centre of the worlds attention in a positive manner.

Oh yes, I forget the misplaced outrage is at dudes not being able to kiss each other in public on holiday rather than all the dead indians :rolleyes:

Same thing tho...
Quite probably but I wouldn't know, never been to either and don't wish to.

Last edited:
So why do the football teams keep taking their dirty cash? Do other countries not use things to enhance their International image or are only certain "allowed" countries able to do this?

BTW I read that the FIFA tournament in summer disrupts the South American football tournaments, is this true?
They keep taking the cash because the whole sport is obsessed with money and everyone is trying to find an advantage it is genuinely sad. Any country can use sport to enhance their International Image but when they do they should expect a significant amount of scrutiny it goes with the territory and if your human rights record and treatment of minorities is pretty poor then you should expect a hammering. The football world cup has always been held in the European Summer, I would have no problem if it was changed to better accommodate the international football schedule but when it is moved to accommodate the obvious lie that we would be playing in air conditioned stadiums in the desert then yes I do object, if you are going to ride roughshod over a well established process it should be for a good reason.

Have you not worked out yet that it is the problems the supporters are having right now and the human rights issues around workers building the stadiums.

Because the people at the top have no morals either. Have you not see anye protests from fans about middle eastern sponsorship and take overs?

Oh yes, I forget the misplaced outrage is at dudes not being able to kiss each other in public on holiday rather than all the dead indians :rolleyes:

Quite probably but I wouldn't know, never been to either and don't wish to.
Out of interest, are you judging a country you've never set foot in? Seems like it.

Have you not worked out yet that it is the problems the supporters are having right now and the human rights issues around workers building the stadiums.

Because the people at the top have no morals either. Have you not see anye protests from fans about middle eastern sponsorship and take overs?
Which problems are supporters having right now?

Was there anything positive about Russia's world cup?

I mean look at them now.
It should have been stripped from them the day they invaded Crimea and with hindsight people are now saying the same thing, the world under-reacted to the annexation of Crimea which I think is now globally accepted doesn't mean you can use the false equivalence in this case though.

It should have been stripped from them the day they invaded Crimea and with hindsight people are now saying the same thing, the world under-reacted to the annexation of Crimea which I think is now globally accepted doesn't mean you can use the false equivalence in this case though.
Exactly seems like blaming someone for someone elses actions.
The two are completely unrelated, apart from the fact that they were both awarded by FIFA,

Exactly seems like blaming someone for someone elses actions.
The two are completely unrelated, apart from the fact that they were both awarded by FIFA,
I have no idea what you mean?

The Qatar world cup should never have been awarded as the nation has no football heritage to speak of and secured victory by handing huge amounts of cash to corrupt FIFA officials. Once this was known the contest should have been re-run and regardless the minute the airconditioned stadiums lie was exposed the tournament should have been moved elsewhere. Thes before you even consider the human rights record of the country and it's mistreatment of minorities, both of which would have played a significant part in the tournament not being awarded were it not for said huge sums of money under the table.

The Russian world cup was reasonably fairly awarded to a country with a strong football heritage, but should have been removed the day they invaded a neighbouring country as sports washing you countries poor behaviour is not acceptable. The world under reacted to the invasion of Crimea and is now reaping the benefits, the world cup is one tiny part of it.

I would love to know why you think it is such a good idea for Qatar to host the world cup....

Well one thing is for sure it's possibly one of the last moments anyone can enjoy Qatar's currently barely hospitable climate as a few decades from now it will be decidedly more dangerous, probably should have spent the billions on preparing for that but I guess hosting a frankly irrelevant tournament at immense cost was more pressing.

Back
Top Bottom