Joker (2019)

Associate
I saw it yesterday and thought it was a very good film. Not as much action as other movies, but the scenes where it is are really build up that its really gritty and up and close personal. A quite dark and psychological film as well, more close to the person than most other DC/Batman movies have been.
JP is doing a really impressive role and I doubt many others could have done the character as well as he did.

Associate
Absolutely loved it. I honestly wasn't expecting much. I don't really follow comic books at all, and other than being a lunatic/psychopath, I don't know about Joker's actual origins, so the whole premise of him being a literal clown who then becomes this infamous psychopath, I wasn't sure how they would do it, but the way they very slowly built it all up to his eventual breaking point was amazing. The way it was so grounded in reality (for the most part) was very refreshing too compared to the super flashy, ultra-techy-modern Marvel movies. Definitely a 9/10 for me.

Saw it yesterday, brilliant. As everyone has said JP's performance was fantastic. The main impact for me was when

After he killed his mum and went into the neighbours house, when she saw him and was startled you realised all the sequences she had been in was a delusion!

Were you actually surprised at that reveal though? Not-exactly-attractive weirdo with mental issue bursts into strangers' apartment and starts kissing them, and she has no issue with it? You could see that coming a mile away.

Soldato
Not quite sure what all the hype was about.The movie was pretty average at best. If it wasn't for Joaquin Phoenix's performance this film would be dog. I though the way he in which he laughted, uncontrollable just cringe and annoying. Its a freakish laugh but after awhile it got boring.

Would I want to see it again?
Most probably not.

Dark, depressing, boring and grim.

5/10.
The laugh is something a lot of real mental patients will do when alone etc. Its like a tick. You can tell even buy how much it seems to hurt him to laugh.

Soldato
Absolutely loved it. I honestly wasn't expecting much. I don't really follow comic books at all, and other than being a lunatic/psychopath, I don't know about Joker's actual origins, so the whole premise of him being a literal clown who then becomes this infamous psychopath, I wasn't sure how they would do it, but the way they very slowly built it all up to his eventual breaking point was amazing. The way it was so grounded in reality (for the most part) was very refreshing too compared to the super flashy, ultra-techy-modern Marvel movies. Definitely a 9/10 for me.

Were you actually surprised at that reveal though? Not-exactly-attractive weirdo with mental issue bursts into strangers' apartment and starts kissing them, and she has no issue with it? You could see that coming a mile away.

Yea, when he first started to get positive reaction from the audience, clapping etc and then was outside with her (since it was feasible she had said yes to go see him) I thought it was a delusion, but then when the scene carried on I changed my mind and thought it was real, which was "confirmed" when she was appearing with him at other places - so yea, the revelation was a surprise to me! :D

Soldato
dark yes but should it have been called the joker ... no
more like the clown .. this had nothing to do with the dc joker .
it was just some insane guy dressed like a clown having his daily problems .was it good ? just an avg film

There is no definitive origin story for Joker and it was widely known ahead of release that this was going to be a completely different telling to recent iterations of the character.

Maybe stick to your comic books?

Soldato
I saw it last night - 8.5/10 a great watch

I was hyped for it but it still beat my expectations. It looked beautiful, the score was brilliant and tense. JP's performance was excellent. There's a lot to like about the movie. It even tied in to the universe more than I thought it would.

I also think there's a lot more to it than people are giving it credit. It's quite blunt but there was some nice commentary on society ( his speech at the TV show) but also a bit on social media "And I’ve been thinking real hard about it. It’s so hard just to try and be happy all the time." not sure that's the quote I was thinking of but it's quite interesting thinking about how hard people nowadays try to make the appearance of being happy, when it actually makes it harder to actually be happy. Etc.
Anyway, I really liked it.

Associate
Seen this with low expectation and they where met. Just didn't find it particularity exciting or interesting and the last 20 minutes made it barely worth watching.

Agree...if it was that good then why..

Was there such a big age difference between Joker and Bruce Wayne? They are suppose to be arch enemies , yet Bruce Wayne looks about 6 years old in the film and Joker looks about 40...makes no sense at all

Soldato
Agree...if it was that good then why..

Was there such a big age difference between Joker and Bruce Wayne? They are suppose to be arch enemies , yet Bruce Wayne looks about 6 years old in the film and Joker looks about 40...makes no sense at all

Events that took place could just in his mind or the Joker that we see might not be the actual Joker that fights Batman.

Man of Honour
Absolutely brilliant. Was funny, sad, creepy and tense. I also didn’t know what to expect which always gets big, big points from me. Utterly fantastic.

All my gripes are the most minor of niggles, so full marks from me.

I particularly liked the part where:

.... he found the photo signed by Thomas Wayne, making him contemplate whether his mother was partially telling the truth... then he just screwed it up and threw it away like “**** it - it really doesn’t matter”.

I sort of knew exactly how the character felt - when you agonise and stress about whether something is right or wrong or black or white... yeah, you do end up just going, stuff it, the truth / choice is irrelevant - just got to move forwards.

Back
Top Bottom