Jury Service (Do NOT turn this into a 'how to get out of jury service' thread)

Soldato
I asked my HR about my summons and they seem to be saying I need approval (or agreement, rather) from my manager to do it. I've decided I'd like to do it, but I need to word my 'request' to him carefully. We will be quite busy at work, but the world won't end if I'm not there. However he's a typical American and thinks work=life and if he gets a sniff of being able to stop me doing it, or even deferring it, I'm sure he will. Hmn.

Soldato
I asked my HR about my summons and they seem to be saying I need approval (or agreement, rather) from my manager to do it. I've decided I'd like to do it, but I need to word my 'request' to him carefully. We will be quite busy at work, but the world won't end if I'm not there. However he's a typical American and thinks work=life and if he gets a sniff of being able to stop me doing it, or even deferring it, I'm sure he will. Hmn.
You can only defer once if I remember rightly, there's no getting out of it unless you have a very good excuse. Your employer is being unreasonable IMO.

EDIT:

Last edited:
Soldato
You don't need to ask managers if HR for permission, if you have to do it it's TS for the employer. You TELL them you are going. If they interfere or punish you for it in some way they are in big trouble.

Last edited:
Soldato
That could end up very badly for him. Judges take a very dim view of managers like that.

Presumably @Scam 's manager is based in the US, so I do wonder how the UK judicial system could compel a US manager to accept the time off required.

Most companies accept these sorts of things, and especially if they're UK based then I imagine the courts could enforce it.

Soldato
You can only defer once if I remember rightly, there's no getting out of it unless you have a very good excuse. Your employer is being unreasonable IMO.

EDIT:
Thank you. Funnily enough it doesn't even say that you can only defer once on the summons :confused: Having said that, my dotted-line manager (second manager) here in the UK said he did jury service years ago, and the first time - his boss had to write a letter saying how he was integral to the company at that time to defer. But those links are good for my US boss thank you, as my girlfriend said perhaps I need to go in with the attitude that I have to do it, and deferring it is only putting off the inevitable. Which is true. I think the HR numpty that replied to me possibly just worded her email badly.

Presumably @Scam 's manager is based in the US, so I do wonder how the UK judicial system could compel a US manager to accept the time off required.
He is, so yes indeed!

Soldato
I worked in a similar position with a US manager and ultimately it was UK HR who set the scene. Irrespective of where line managers are globally located, regional HR always wins. In the end I was excused so it all become moot.

Soldato
I worked in a similar position with a US manager and ultimately it was UK HR who set the scene. Irrespective of where line managers are globally located, regional HR always wins. In the end I was excused so it all become moot.
Excused for work reasons or personal reasons? And yes I'm sure (as I like to remind my boss :p ) UK law takes precedent! And it's UK entity that employs me and blah blah, anyway.

Soldato
I used a personal reason for the excusal, it was accepted.
Fair enough. I was just interested if it was via work and what they had to do.

As it happens I spoke to my boss last night - I love it when he rings at 7pm on a friday night :rolleyes: I’m guessing he don’t really think about it properly because he was like “yeah whatever just do it I guess”. lol.

Soldato
So here’s a question for those that have done it - do you get fed and watered when you’re stuck there for days on end? Tea, coffee, lunch etc? Or is it a public sector budget - and best off packing up with a flask of tea and some sandwiches :p Can you leave to go out and get food?

Permabanned
So here’s a question for those that have done it - do you get fed and watered when you’re stuck there for days on end? Tea, coffee, lunch etc? Or is it a public sector budget - and best off packing up with a flask of tea and some sandwiches :p Can you leave to go out and get food?

No you put in a cell for the duration of your service with a glass of water every 5 hours.

Associate
IIRC when in deliberations we had to bring our own food but coffee/tea was provided, since we could not leave the room unless needing cig or toilet breaks

This was right in the middle of the pandemic, mind

Permabanned

One of my mates who did a jury service said he could go out have food and go back and then claim back as long as he had the receipt. Might be different every jury service though.

Back
Top Bottom