Just Arrived! VSonic VSD3S

Soldato
OP
FiiO X1 is superior, as one would expect given its price. In fact, for the money, the FiiO X1 is perhaps the best you'll get, alongside the Cowon range. I have no idea vs the Note 3, the only smart phone I've ever owned is the Galaxy S2 (so I'm slightly out of date)...

Associate
I've been using a Nexus 5 to play Spotify premium - not really fussed if it sounds better than the phone, as long as I can conserve some battery by using the clip+ instead.

What sort of battery life do you get out of yours Cookeh? Website suggests 15h but if its a consistent 6+ I'll be happy.

Will it play .flacs without any messing about too?

Sorry for all the questions :D

Soldato
Have you had any problems with the directory structure (of your albums) Cookeh? I wasn't watching what I was doing last time I loaded some albums and found it didn't like an album folder within another folder.

Soldato
OP
I haven't, no. Plenty folders in folders in my directory. You could always try rockboxing it if you can't solve the problem - RockBox. It's essentially a complete new firmware for your DAP with an improved UI, better file support etc :)

Associate
Im looking at teaming my VSonic VSD3S with a new DAP instead of playing music on my Xperia Z3. I'm open to teaming the new DAP with a headphone amp as well if its deemed neccessary. Ideally I'm looking at around the £200 at most.

Currently, DAP wise, I've been looking at the Fiio X1 and X3 and the Fiio range of headphone amps as well (E11k, E12 & E12a).

Any advice/suggestions more than welcome.

Associate
Can't beat a Fiio DAP for the money - although I'm not sure you'd gain much by using an amp with the VSD3S... Perhaps go for the X3 and dont bother with an amp (or get a cheaper Fiio), that's what I'd be inclined to do.

Soldato
OP
dhill, you're looking in all the right places :) VSD3-S from a E11K or E12 is massive overkill, just not necessary. X1 is an excellent DAP, as is the X3. If you get the X3 it actually has enough power to supply most headphones as well as IEMs - powerful little guys. X1 will easily power nearly all IEMs - definitely cope with the VSD3.

Associate
dhill, you're looking in all the right places :) VSD3-S from a E11K or E12 is massive overkill, just not necessary. X1 is an excellent DAP, as is the X3. If you get the X3 it actually has enough power to supply most headphones as well as IEMs - powerful little guys. X1 will easily power nearly all IEMs - definitely cope with the VSD3.

Is there enough difference/improvement to justify the extra £60 for the X3 II over the X1?

I'm also reading the the X1 teamed with the E11k makes for a pretty good combination, but like you say....overkill for the headphones in question?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Honestly, if you're just pairing them with IEMs and dont plan on spending mega-bucks on the top-end IEMs out there, then no the extra £60 isn't worth it.

If, however, you might use the DAP with a good/power hungry pair of headphones as well as the IEMs, then the £60 outlay is a good idea as it means you dont have to purchase another amp down the line and it will ofc have a smaller form factor than a stacked X1+E11K.

Soldato
My X1 actually does pretty well with my HD 650s at a volume of about 75/100 (I had to try) :D

With IEMs I have the volume at 45/100 which is quite loud but not painfully so and when using with the notoriously inefficient Havi 3 Pro 1's I push it up to 50~55/100. I was initially going to buy a FiiO E11K to pair with it but came to the conclusion I don't need one.

The X3 II has a more powerful amp and the ability to use it as a DAC but apart from that it's pretty much the same.

Soldato
OP
Rids, I had no idea you owned the Havi 3s! Also, Ive finally finished exams (and uni :eek:), so drop me a message in trust if/when you want to start that IEM review thread - if its still something you'd be interested in.

Soldato
OP
Good! Let us know what you think Ducky :)

Little update on my end, I'm getting the ends of my pair re-terminated with a Neutriks L-plug (£6.50 inc labour from designacable.com, great guys, really friendly). Should help prevent any more cable issues. I've also got a new cable on the way from LMURE.

Associate
Ordered mine on the 14th May, now showing on the online tracking as follows:

"20.05.2015 GB Arrived at Destination Arrival at inward office of exchange"

Wonder if I'll get them today or not :confused:

Back
Top Bottom