Just Arrived! VSonic VSD3S

Associate
Mine seem to have a very slight amount of sibilance, the treble seems to be a tiny bit harsh but not enough to distract from the music at all. (I used Ellie Gouldings - Burn to test mine with).

Associate
I just had a play with EQ and lower by 4 db 3.1k and 5 db on 8.1k frquencies which seems to lower slightly sibilance on some song but songs sound slightly worse but I wasnt sure what to expect from them when I bought it. I have to admit first iem I got other than crappy skull candy and impressions are just WOW.

Also wold memory foam tips help to reduce it? Also are you using EQ and what tips you use ( I know is subjective but do you use ones that came with it or 3rd party?)

Associate
Okay thanks. I cant believe of how much detail some songs have that I never noticed before with skull candy. I need to get good fit im trying each tips so far 2 from the set aren't for me. Next memory foam testing :D

Cooken you should get a discount for sure for convincing that many people. I'm really happy with them so far and 13 hours of listening so far. Just after 3-4 hour session, back of my ear becomes numb but this is acceptable for this period of time.

Soldato
OP
Vocals and recessed in the same sentence when talking about the VSD3S? Waaah? Can't agree with that at all. The solution though, would be more EQing - just remember to always cut frequencies and try and avoid boosting them.

Soldato
I got them today and they're amazing! :D

image.jpg

The mids are so good, eye blinking snare drum hits that my other earbuds weren't projecting. Excellent bass and a ton of detail throughout. Lovely treble, just the right amount. I compared to my Sony MDR EX71s and while they still sound good and have a bit more sparkly treble, I much prefer the fullness of sound from these Vsonics.

Here's the really good thing. I tried all the various earbud tips, including my own shure see through ones and some large white ones that I happened to have. They all sounded good but a tad thin. But the the large white ones make a big difference with bass, I mean HUGE. They almost made me feel like I'd switched to full size headphones. The whole sound suddenly became really big and full. The largest black ones that come with the VSD3 are very close to that sound but the white ones win. For my ears, it seems I need wide tips to extract more bass. I'm going to buy the see through Shure ones in the same width as the white ones, and they'll also be deeper and a harder material which should give the same amount of bass but tighten it up.

Various pics.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Associate
Hi Merlin5 I just have a question did you test them without portable amp as I dont know if it's worth buying one for them. I have the same model but in lime green but I use foam ones on mine

Soldato
Hi Merlin5 I just have a question did you test them without portable amp as I dont know if it's worth buying one for them. I have the same model but in lime green but I use foam ones on mine

Hi SamyBoy, it's a very good question indeed and something I forgot to mention.

To buy or not to buy an amp. Answer: 100% yes! :D

The difference it makes is almost night and day. Apart from massively increased volume available, the amp projects a lot of punch and detail. It has two switches which I have enabled all the time, high gain and extra bass. I tested with just the phone and it's pretty weak and bland without the amp. If you fancy getting the same as mine, you can't go far wrong as it's only £46 on the rainforest and for some reason has been renamed. Look for "Fiio A3 (Kilimanjaro 2) Portable Headphone Amplifier (formerly E11K)" Comes with a couple of rubber FiiO logo bands so you can attach the phone and amp together.

Associate
Thanks a lot Merlin. Also do you experience any sibilance on yours as I do has slight sibilance in certain songs and I tried to EQ to roll off treble little bit and it still audible but not as much. I lower at 8k -4db, 16k -3db and at 3.1k -2db any advice as I dont know what to do. But I do have to admit the bass is punchier at the largest tips compare to foam ones :D I like the way they sound but foam ones fit my ears better.

Soldato
Thanks a lot Merlin. Also do you experience any sibilance on yours as I do has slight sibilance in certain songs and I tried to EQ to roll off treble little bit and it still audible but not as much. I lower at 8k -4db, 16k -3db and at 3.1k -2db any advice as I dont know what to do. But I do have to admit the bass is punchier at the largest tips compare to foam ones :D I like the way they sound but foam ones fit my ears better.

Regarding the foam tips, when I first put them in after trying the stock buds that came with them, I was like wow, these foam buds are awesome for more bottom end. I've never used foam tips before but yeah, I can see now why they're good and why you like them, as they expand and fill the ear more. But the large tips are great. Although to my ears I think there might be a small tradeoff in that I think it makes the bass a tad woolly. I think when I get my shure large size it'll improve that due to a more solid material. The white ones I have are very flimsy.

Regarding sibilance, I'm not absolutely positive I know the meaning, I'm assuming it means very trebly verging on harshness?

Actually, my sony buds are considerably more bright which many people might hate, but I like lots of treble anyway because I'm a drummer and I hit cymbals all the time lol. Probably affected my ears over the years so I might be more tolerant of sibilance anyway.

In contrast then, the VSD3S seem just right to me, I wouldn't personally want any less treble. I listened to a particular track today on both buds and my Sennheiser 580s. On the sonys, the cymbals were quite harsh, on the Vsonics, they didn't seem harsh, and on the sennheisers, kind of similar to the vsonics but even smoother, which isn't surprising because the 580 (and the HD 600 from what I've read) have a slightly veiled rolled off top end. I'm no expert at EQ'ing so I think someone like Cookeh and rids57 might have better advice for you on that.

Last edited:
Associate
I like high treble too but I cant stand when song have strong emphasis on s words as it hurts my ears. Although I lend my earphones to a friend of mine and he didnt notice any sibilance at all, which surprised me so it's probably me and my picky ears. I was thinking about getting RHA 750i but not sure.

Also if I may ask what is so special about shure tips as I always used stock tips that came with the earphones that I bought?

I'm glad that you like them they are steal for price of around £25 inc shipping.

Soldato
I like high treble too but I cant stand when song have strong emphasis on s words as it hurts my ears. Although I lend my earphones to a friend of mine and he didnt notice any sibilance at all, which surprised me so it's probably me and my picky ears. I was thinking about getting RHA 750i but not sure.

Also if I may ask what is so special about shure tips as I always used stock tips that came with the earphones that I bought?

I'm glad that you like them they are steal for price of around £25 inc shipping.

Yeah, thanks to Cookeh, he's found us a real gem with these, they are a steal!

Someone recommended the shure tips years ago. They are originally from the shure E2C IEMs, and are made of a harder material. They feel more substantial in my ears than the typical thin flimsy tips do. Like when I squeeze them, they're firmer; a bit firmer for instance than the foam ones but don't compress and expand. I don't know what they're made of, I think it's hard silicone as opposed to the softer silicone, kind of feels like plastic. I found them to give punchier bass than the stock ones that came with my sony ex71 earbuds, but it might be just because they were large size. They've discontinued the ones I want but there is a pack of them on ebay I might grab. Second and third pic down on this page shows them.

http://jonchoo.blogspot.co.uk/2005/06/shure-e2c.html

Associate
Omg my earphones just loses connection I bend it just after 3.5mm jack in my pocket and it loses connection. Therefore I have a question for you should I buy gold plated or silver plated jack as the cable inside is silver so should I buy silver one? I guess I will never run for a bus with my phone in my pocket (now I start to regret having note3)

Did anyone replaced 3.5mm jack as I'm worried that it have multiple wires to re salterlike like rha 750i in pic below
small-headphones1.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
There won't be as many wires, 3 or 4 but they are going to be very fine and not very easy to solder. Considering the cost of these, you may as well just get another pair.

Soldato
OP
Just get the current one re-terminated. Mine cost me £7.50 from designacable and it was done in three days. £7 of that cost was for the Neutriks 90' terminus.

90' terminus means its damned near impossible to destroy in pockets. Gunna be cheaper than rebuying anything and quicker than getting a replacement set from LMURs and give you a better end product.

These IEMs really shine with an amp, adding that bit more detail retrieval and a bit more weight to the bass.

Associate
Okay thanks Cookeh. Any ideas on how to get rid of sibilance or reduce it? I tried to lower it at 8k -4db, 16k -3db and at 3.1k -2db, I dont want to lower further as it makes sound really bad an quiet, the treble.

Associate
Mainly when there are lyrics containing a lot words with s sound. This is one example: Calvin Harris - Blame (Audio) ft. John Newman
There is not as much compare to other songs that I listen to but it's still noticeable.

Back
Top Bottom