"Just stop oil"

I'm sure the Americans would say the same about US influence during the 20th Century (helping us win two World Wars and the Cold War against Soviet totalitarianism), but that hardly gives them carte blanche to burn fossil fuels with impunity. Not sure the Indians or the Chinese would agree with you that the British Empire was a force for good though.

However, the bottom line is that the UK got the world hooked on fossil fuels through the Industrial Revolution and so we should be taking a leadership role in getting it off them and we cannot do that if we don't practice what we preach.

The U.S didn’t help Britain win any world wars. The U.S declared war on Japan which then forced Germany to declare war on the U.S
In the First World War the U.S was hardly involved. But anyway all is well documented in the history books.

Was the British Empire good for India and the rest of the world? I think you’d have to say yes. Again, all in the history books.

However, this argument that Britain somehow forced industrialisation on the world and is responsible for fixing it is counter productive to the issue and also pretty disingenuous for other nations to use in defence of their own levels of pollution. Britain has made huge contributions to the world, probably as much as many other nations combined.

Last edited:

Seems this lot of JSO protestors are unhappy with the prison sentences they've been dished out. I hope their appeals fail and other JSO protestors realise if they attempt something stupid or dangerous when protesting that they too could be looking at a few years.

Seems this lot of JSO protestors are unhappy with the prison sentences they've been dished out. I hope their appeals fail and other JSO protestors realise if they attempt something stupid or dangerous when protesting that they too could be looking at a few years.
Can the court increase their sentences?

''Essex Police previously said a heavily pregnant woman who needed urgent medical help, and a person who missed their best friend's funeral, were affected...''

Interesting, I wonder if there's dodgy things going on...

I went to the islands for several years in a row in my younger years. Always seemed to be fires back then, rarely made the news here. That was almost 40 years ago.

How many of the JSO lot wear clothing made from synthetic fabrics? Most are created by oil! Don’t think you can get hi vis vests made with natural fabrics
So what? The main problem comes from burning fossil fuels not from making fabric.

Also, they are protesting against new fossil fuel exploration and extraction which won't come online for a decade or more (at precisely the time when we should be greatly reducing our fossil fuel usage). If the government are going to meet their net zero targets by 2050 (which is already very late) then they will have to do what Just Stop (New) Oil are demanding anyway, unless the government are lying about their commitment to net zero and are betraying us all; which of course they are.

Fires are often started by people unfortunately as well as machinery operated by people. All that's needed is a spark. The point is that this is not unusual, what's unusual is the exceptionally dry and hot tinderbox conditions which along with fairly strong winds are ideal conditions for fires to grow in their intensity and to spread widely.

Shame on the media and the Greek minister for attempting to mislead in this way.

Fires are often started by people unfortunately as well as machinery operated by people. All that's needed is a spark. The point is that this is not unusual, what's unusual is the exceptionally dry and hot tinderbox conditions which along with fairly strong winds are ideal conditions for fires to grow in their intensity and to spread widely.

Shame on the media and the Greek minister for attempting to mislead in this way.
It's strange considering he is apparently one of their 'top climate officials...'
Maybe they are worried about the tourist industry. Things usually come down to money in the end.

Last edited:
It's strange considering he is apparently one of their 'top climate officials...'
Well it's a right wing government, I'm not sure how good they are on the climate crisis. Maybe he's from the Lord Frost school of climate denial 'science' :cry: .

Last edited:
Maybe they are worried about the tourist industry. Things usually come down to money in the end.
In all seriousness he was probably just quoted without the proper context (I'm not sure whether that's his fault or the media's).

Folk only getting worked up at the protesters because the right wing media has told them to do so.
No, folk are getting worked up at the protestors because instead of trying to impact government policy via sensible means they're targeting/impacting regular folk.

They're complete idiots hence why the majority of climate campaigners hate them as they're effectively making climate change action unpopular and thus enabling the government to get away with doing less about it.

That's not surprising though. Idiots always do this every year, but it doesn't usually have quite such dire consequences. My point was the article did not make this sufficiently clear.

It would be wrong to blame the scale and intensity of the fires on arsonists rather than on the climate crisis.

I must remind people that Greece is not the only country to see such apocalyptic scenes in recent years.

Last edited:
Folk only getting worked up at the protesters because the right wing media has told them to do so.
No, folk are getting worked up at the protestors because instead of trying to impact government policy via sensible means they're targeting/impacting regular folk.

They're complete idiots hence why the majority of climate campaigners hate them as they're effectively making climate change action unpopular and thus enabling the government to get away with doing less about it.

I think both of these points are true to some extent.

Back
Top Bottom