"Just stop oil"

Man of Honour
I can assure you it was seen as very impractical at the time that black and white children go to the same school.

Interesting that you denigrate their backgrounds, would you be more inclined to listen to them if they were poor and uneducated, why?

There’s a difference between a societal perception of impracticality vs an actual impracticality that would lead to millions starving around the world.

Because at least they wouldn’t then leave the protests, jump on their private jets to travel to their mansion abroad and their cushy lifestyle. At least this lot will now face some jail time and the reality of life.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Last edited:
Soldato
I can assure you it was seen as very impractical at the time that black and white children go to the same school.

Interesting that you denigrate their backgrounds, would you be more inclined to listen to them if they were poor and uneducated, why?
i guess it is more that they look like hypocrites...... they have their great upbringing with all the privileges that the lifestyle brings, whilst making lives miserable for those who have less....... Also i wonder how many of them walk the walk.

I am no angel here I admit i used to have a 2 seater ice sports car, am sure the perfect example of the sort of polluting waste that they hate......... however I have moved over to cleaner technology, not because i dont miss having a nice petrol car, but because i accept there is not longer a place for them on our roads.... (I also accept my EV is not the most efficient either, tho to be fair i do need a larger main vehicle for our family stuff).

imo they would win more people over with honey not with vinegar.

Last edited:
Soldato
Aviation it is legit to demand why aviation fuel isn't taxed like petrol - disproportionate climate damage prerogative for the few ,

a personal carbon budget is the way to go, no more than two flights a year ? but, people want to travel to the EU despite brexit proclivity
personal carbon budget would be an interesting proposal but i am not sure it could work. some peoples work needs travel, and you can bet your bottom $ this would be exploited by wealthy people who want to travel that it was all for "work".

also it would not be fair to just put onto planes....... someone could have a dirty old car but not like to travel, vs someone else could have a clean car, charged off solar, whos home energy carbon footprint was negative, but did like to travel.

add to that what about people who live in colder regions.

TLDR it just would not work. to easy to exploit, too unfair on unlucky / not well off people as well.

Something is seriously wrong with airtravel tho.

it can be cheaper to fly from london to newcastle than it is to get the train....

hell it can cost the best part of stuff and all to fly to spain...... arguably air travel is too cheap, but whilst in principle i would be ok with taxing flights which could easily be done on the ground........... that would have to come with a subsidised rail network to have a carrot to go with the stick.

Last edited:
Transmission breaker
Don
a personal carbon budget is the way to go, no more than two flights a year ? but, people want to travel to the EU despite brexit proclivity

Well, that would make my life (and anyone else who flew often for work) a little more difficult :D... It would also mean that if I flew for work, I could not fly with my family for holiday?

Not to mention decimation of international trade.

Last edited:
Transmission breaker
Don
Well so far nobody is listening and if left unchecked the consequences will be dire.

Best to go fight the cause in US and China then, seeing as the new Labour Government here will surely have a plan to move away from granting new licenses. Seems like we are going in the right direction, certainly more than US/China?

Soldato
i guess it is more that they look like hypocrites...... they have their great upbringing with all the privileges that the lifestyle brings, whilst making lives miserable for those who have less....... Also i wonder how many of them walk the walk.

I am no angel here I admit i used to have a 2 seater ice sports car, am sure the perfect example of the sort of polluting waste that they hate......... however I have moved over to cleaner technology, not because i dont miss having a nice petrol car, but because i accept there is not longer a place for them on our roads.... (I also accept my EV is not the most efficient either, tho to be fair i do need a larger main vehicle for our family stuff).

imo they would win more people over with honey not with vinegar.
Problem is moving to more friendly alternatives cost money, money the majority of people do not have to spare. Owning an EV is ludicrously expensive and out of reach for most people. Same with solar or whatever other green method you bring up, it's just no where near affordable.

These morons can keep complaining all they like about it, but it's not going to change until it's made affordable to the masses.

Last edited:
Soldato
i agree.... however this difference is getting smaller all the time for those who can charge at home - its a different discussion for those without off road parking.

the "too expensive" argument does not stack up when people are still buying brand new expensive petrol and diesel cars, and i cant believe that all those people buying brand new £80k range rovers all live on the 15th story of a block of flats with no charging facilities. ;)

£25k brand new EVs are on the cusp of being released..... still too expensive for some, but then in that case so would any brand new car.....

and there are a range of really useful EVs now 2nd hand around the £10k mark........ Admittedly for the sub 5k "banger" there isnt much and it is possible there never will be as the sum of their parts are worth more than an ICE
i really do not understand however why the entry level new mini is £7k more than the ICE equivalent. The batteries have come down in price a lot, and the rest of the car is far simpler....... surely they must be hiking the profits up on the EV over the ICE car.

PS i hate it when i miss loads of deleted posts...... i feel i may have missed something juicy :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Best to go fight the cause in US and China then, seeing as the new Labour Government here will surely have a plan to move away from granting new licenses. Seems like we are going in the right direction, certainly more than US/China?
China are absolutely nailing the renewable energy generation. Yes they still burn a huge amount of FF, including coal.................. but i wonder how much of that is just binnable junk for the western world.

per head the average Chinese citizen has a fraction of the CO2 footprint as the average Brit. I accept i am part of the problem here despite trying to minimise the plastic crap we buy, we still have way too much of it.

we dont get to wash our hands and blame China imo when it is for western countries that they make a lot of the junk which needs the energy. (i am talking the tat, not actually useful stuff which they also make)

PS stuff like vapes as well with their Lion batteries....... they are awful as well!.

Soldato
Problem is moving to more friendly alternatives cost money, money the majority of people do not have to spare. Owning an EV is ludicrously expensive and out of reach for most people. Same with solar or whatever other green method you bring up, it's just no where near affordable.

These morons can keep complaining all they like about it, but it's not going to change until it's made affordable to the masses.
Absolutely this.
Plenty of our customers whose cars fail the MOT for say £200 or less of repairs have to wait until they get paid until they can afford it, and there’s not a cat in hells chance of them affording an EV.
It’s easy for those with the money to keep droning about “change” but a lot of people genuinely do not have the funds.

Soldato
Absolutely this.
Plenty of our customers whose cars fail the MOT for say £200 or less of repairs have to wait until they get paid until they can afford it, and there’s not a cat in hells chance of them affording an EV.
It’s easy for those with the money to keep droning about “change” but a lot of people genuinely do not have the funds.
again that is a bit of a dodge.... because its not like those people are going to go out and buy ANY brand new car............

the traditional ICE companies i believe are taking the p... with some of their pricing of their EVs. 5 years ago the batteries were may more expensive and i could kind of see why they charged a premium.... but nowadays, it is just price gouging imo to keep people buying their ICE models instead (and then they can say "look no demand").

its not all bad however there is a new bunch of much better priced EVs out or on the cusp of being out now, which makes the over priced ones look even more embarrasing.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I forgot to mention this, one of the best wind ups ever.
I was in Manchester Airport the other week and a bloke was walking through the inside of the departure bit of the airport with a Just Stop Oil t-shirt on.
It was strange because he just kept walking up and down and he was getting some nasty responses and of course the obvious "Well why are you here catching a plane" etc.
It was about 30 minutes later I found out he was the Stag of a Stag Do and his mates had made him wear it :)

Transmission breaker
Don
I was in Manchester Airport the other week and a bloke was walking through the inside of the departure bit of the airport with a Just Stop Oil t-shirt on.
It was strange because he just kept walking up and down and he was getting some nasty responses and of course the obvious "Well why are you here catching a plane" etc.
It was about 30 minutes later I found out he was the Stag of a Stag Do and his mates had made him wear it :)
I mean, you have to take your hat off to that one. Proper risky though! I could see an airline refusing a passenger like that easily enough...

Mind you by just walking up and down he sets a significantly better example than most JSO protestors!

Last edited:
Soldato
that reminds me of Die Hard.......... 3 i think it was.

Soldato
I mean, you have to take your hat off to that one. Proper risky though! I could see an airline refusing a passenger like that easily enough...

Mind you by just walking up and down he sets a significantly better example than most JSO protestors!
They wouldn't refuse completely only that he'd need to change his t-shirt.

Back
Top Bottom