"Just stop oil"

Any sources for that? Would have thought that would have been big news.

I think 95% of the components in a battery can be recycled? But agree that existing solutions can't be the final one as it's too environmentally damaging in the first place.

I cant find the second article where its been put into practice (all be it simulations) sorry.

Since the earth does not have enough materials to be able to build all the batteries needed to replace other forms of energy storage, such as fossil fuels, battery prices will either start rising as supply drops, or if prices remain low, then products that need batteries will get priority- for example your mobile phone or laptop can't run without a battery but a car can still run without a battery
this is such nonsense.
1) there are all sorts of batteries, not just the stereotypical battery
2) much like cobalt is now pretty much optional in batteries at this point, there are other options rather than lithium (sodium car batteries are already a thing and will only get better, likely leaving lithium for higher end longer range vehicles). The whole argument that right now this second we cant swap every single ICE with a battery car over night is such a dishonest take its laughable......... because no one is proposing that that will happen....

its right up there with the grid cant cope!.... maybe not overnight but over the next 20 years...................... its doable and that is according to people who are actually working on the transition at the national grid!.

My hope is longer term we wont need to have anywhere near as many cars on the road anyway. Once cars can become autonomous more more people will fogo owning a car and cars will just be used to order, meaning that a smaller number of cars will do a lot more miles.

(initially i believe most families will still keep 1 car, and then get one to order as and when a 2nd is needed).

I already know a number of families who dont own a car, and rely day to day on public transport.... they then hire a car when needed. This is still a bit of a pain and is only really workable if you live in a city.

but once cars are autonomous things will get far easier.

Last edited:
I don't think we are going to see fully self driving cars outside of controlled environments tbh. Not in our lifetime anyway. Maybe the idea will come back when we can have flying cars.

Last edited:
I don't think we are going to see fully self driving cars outside of controlled environments tbh. Not in our lifetime anyway. Maybe the idea will come back when we can have flying cars.
maybe , maybe not but even if not it does not take away from the fact that transitioning to EVs over the next decade or so as the existing car fleet reaches end of life is a complete no brainer and despite what some of our gutter press/media like to spout, whilst not "green" it is significantly less damaging than sticking with ICE vehicles.

The fact that most people no longer whine about "but cobalt" (despite it being instrumental in running ICE vehicles, and unlike with those, it is recyclable when it is used in batteries) and are now complaining about lithium is something i guess.

hopefully give it a few more years and the argument about lithium can also be laid to rest, tho am sure there will be another reason why EVs just dont work.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom