"Just stop oil"

Soldato
The message is correct, the implementation wrong. They should be building public support rather than alienating people against their cause

The way to get public support is first get public awareness.

First they laughed at us etc…

MLK relevant bits

‘ but the * moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises to wait until a "more convenient season." ‘

Man of Honour

There is a balance to it - the way some have been protesting over the last couple of years is little short of lunacy and the message has got lost and only succeeded in annoying people enough few will support them.

Man of Honour
The way to get public support is first get public awareness. [..]

The most effective way to get public awareness is mass murder, preferably in an unusual way. Chemical weapons would be effective. For example, Aum Shinriyko got a huge amount of public awareness for their cause by using Sarin gas to attack people on the Tokyo subway.

There's a difference between getting public awareness, getting public obedience and getting public support. Although authoritarians usually call obedience support and do so successfully if they have enough power.

Caporegime
OP
I find old people on the roads to be a massive inconvenience; slow, unpredictable, aimless. Am I OK to run you over?

I must be honest, watching you go from that happy-go-lucky dude a year or so ago to someone who could start an argument in an empty room has been rather entertaining, but I do worry about you sometimes. Everything ok dude?

Caporegime
Can’t believe these idiots. Now they’re deciding to protest by damaging the countries most priceless national treasures.
I just hope they put some thought into the glue they used and have not caused any permanent damage

Soldato
Call their bluff. Do it for a month and see how they feel weighing their morals with their inability to travel, eat, or heat their homes. /s

Associate
Also running onto a race track with cars moving at 150 mph - luckily for them the race had already been red flagged but still an insanely dangerous thing to do that puts drivers, track workers and spectators at risk as well as themselves.

The cars passing within a foot or two of a woman protestor who sits down on the track after the others have been dragged off it - cars till passing at around 50 mph even under a red flag.

Insane - but apparently hailed as a success because they got a slot on Good Morning Britain of the back of it.

Soldato
These tools just give ammunition to the climate sceptic crowd and annoy everyone else. I wish the media wouldn't give them attention for stunts like this.

They seem to take the 'ignore to avoid encouraging them' approach with streakers at football games etc, I think they should apply the same approach here. Or if the actual protest might be noteworthy (like vandalising the painting) then acknowledge it happened, maybe state their group affiliation and move on. Certainly don't invite them for interviews on a talkshow FFS.

Just perpetuates one of the problems with our media where sensible experts get sidelined by people with extreme views on either end of an issues who get interviewed as though they represent the two (yes, only two) 'sides' of an issue.

Rather than getting some rational discussion of the likely progression and impact of climate change and options to reduce it, we end up with mindless pronouncements and rage filled rants.

Permabanned

First they laughed at us etc…

MLK relevant bits

‘ but the * moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises to wait until a "more convenient season." ‘

I haven't had the pleasure of reading your contributions for a while, have you been away on an "I'm only quoting those that speak plain English" course? :)

Soldato
This is a slow road to eco terrorism because nobody listens, so they do more rash things to make people listen, but the people still don't listen, so their answer is to escalate and keep escalating until they're finally heard but it sadly does the opposite so they push themselves to more extremes where eventually it becomes terrorism

Back
Top Bottom