"Just stop oil"

Soldato
'Just stop oil'. How about providing alternatives. Insulating your house better doesn't stop oil.

The only way to reduce fossil fuel consumption is to greatly increase the price of it. All the time gas is 1/3 the cost of electric per kwh, people will continue to use it to heat their homes.

The cost of diesel going up is a good start (if you're interested in reducing fossil fuel use), but it still needs to go further to force the dinosaurs to start making the shift to EVs.

Permabanned
Why isn't the most obvious way of reducing emissions given serious discussion at a global governmental level, that of reducing population levels as fast as humanely possible? It would come with so many other life enhancing benefits, too.

i child per woman only, immigrants can only bring a single child to another country, enforced abortions (you know, those things you are all screaming for not being banned...) for those that claim an "accident". Give the situation some Draconian addressing and the problem could be all but sorted in a few generations. Otherwise the only hope I see is for the likes Mr. Putin to have an overwhelming desire to see if that big red button actually works.

Man of Honour
Soldato
I agree, they should just leave them glued to things. Stick diversion signs up and send people around them.

After a couple of days they will be begging for the superglue remover. It's the middle of summer so they won't freeze to death.

Soldato
Why isn't the most obvious way of reducing emissions given serious discussion at a global governmental level, that of reducing population levels as fast as humanely possible? It would come with so many other life enhancing benefits, too.

i child per woman only, immigrants can only bring a single child to another country, enforced abortions (you know, those things you are all screaming for not being banned...) for those that claim an "accident". Give the situation some Draconian addressing and the problem could be all but sorted in a few generations. Otherwise the only hope I see is for the likes Mr. Putin to have an overwhelming desire to see if that big red button actually works.
You first.

Caporegime
'Just stop oil'. How about providing alternatives. Insulating your house better doesn't stop oil.

The only way to reduce fossil fuel consumption is to greatly increase the price of it. All the time gas is 1/3 the cost of electric per kwh, people will continue to use it to heat their homes.

The cost of diesel going up is a good start (if you're interested in reducing fossil fuel use), but it still needs to go further to force the dinosaurs to start making the shift to EVs.

Going EV isn't as simple for everyone :) I know people with campers for instance, and getting an ev camper, that is even remotely affordable simply isn't feasible for many.

Soldato
Just to be clear, I personally think the pace of change is fine. Trying to rush the adoption of EVs and electric boilers beyond what the grid and our renewable electric generation is capable of handling, won't help anything.

I'm just trying to figure what someone determined to glue themselves to something is actually trying to achieve.

Soldato
Just to be clear, I personally think the pace of change is fine. Trying to rush the adoption of EVs and electric boilers beyond what the grid and our renewable electric generation is capable of handling, won't help anything.

I'm just trying to figure what someone determined to glue themselves to something is actually trying to achieve.

I agree with much of what you’re saying…I think the superglue brigade are largely misled, misread and in some cases, just desperate to avoid an-other ‘the end of the world’ scenario.

Much of this is down to the usual culprits; tabloids, poor journalism and fervent social media, but also feckless politicians and those who would use protestors and the public’s fear for their own nefarious gains.

We need to transition, no argument there, but you cannot just switch overnight and you must make sure the solutions you switch to, are actually workable, economically viable and sustainable in the long term. Sadly too much knee jerk reactions (and terrible government planning) leads us from one disaster to the next.

Caporegime
Going EV isn't as simple for everyone :) I know people with campers for instance, and getting an ev camper, that is even remotely affordable simply isn't feasible for many.

And to be fair it shouldn't even matter in that instance... like how many of those people use their campers as their daily driver? It seems fair enough that an occasional vehicle like that isn't EV, I mean given the limited use then surely it might even be less efficient to replace one with an EV than just keeping an old one running. :)

I reckon so long as the majority of regular cars become EVs (and indeed all new cars will in the relatively near future) then it's kinda moot, if some people keep some classics running then meh, ditto to say people running campers or people who need vans for businesses etc...

I think these hippie types who are targeting road users etc.. are just dumb, the government has literally already put into place the sort of change that is needed so they're fighting an utterly pointless cause and just irritating and causing disruption for a few unlucky road users who get caught up in a traffic jam caused by one of their pointless protests.

IIRC the group kicking off instead about home insulation has one utter moron who was going around the news programs refusing to even say if his home was insulated and another prominent member who was, of all things, a BTL landlord who hadn't even insulated his own properties! Yet apparently was angry enough to demand the government do something despite having ample opportunity to do something himself. They're mostly just virtue signaling idiots and I can't take them seriously at all.

Soldato
You first.

Yeah, anyone who has young children can't open their mouth about climate change they are massive hypocrites.

There is no action any person can take in their life to reduce emissions more than not having children - you can protest oil all you want, buy all the EVs you want, stop eating meat all you want, install all the solar panels you want and all of it is utterly a meaningless drop in the bucket if you choose to have even one child

Soldato
I'm expecting that over the next 10 years, charging an EV at a motorway service station is going to be one of lives biggest '1st world' problems.

I agree, charging say 0-80% needs to be down to <5mins as, for me at least, this is the biggest EV issue irrespective of "range anxiety".

I mean ICE has "range anxiety" too but as it's <5mins to fill up and crack on again we've become accustomed to that delay, so until EV charging matches (or gets as close to) ICE cars filling up then the days of 15-45mins spent charging with our rapidly increasing number of EV's vs the current limited number of serviceable chargers just isn't going to work.

Personally I can't wait to be in the position to buy an EV (house with a garage/drive which I can charge, lower cost etc) as I've enjoyed the few drives I've had in one.

Soldato
I can't help but wonder why the cops give these people an easy ride. I've noticed its the same action taken with most police forces this is happening to. I think there is something bigger going on here, especially when even American police are standing around doing nothing. We know how over the top they usually are even for minor offenses.

Contrast that with the heavy handed way they are acting with the slow fuel protest. Going in arresting people and shutting it down asap.

Caporegime
Greta is anti-nuclear it seems and is not happy with the EU parliament:

I presume the hippie parents are behind this still, maybe she should have stayed in school.

ignoring your childish quips, have you actually ever looked into the science and expert analysis of renewable energy? Nuclear is absolutely not green, and has no real place in in a 100% renewable and green energy future. It simply isn't needed, and is as it is non-peaking power has no near term value.

Caporegime
Looks like 'merica has an issue with the unwashed loons too now. In this instance a guy on parole is rather stressed that he'll miss work and fall foul of his parole requirements, potentially costing him more jail time as a result. He begs the soap dodgers to open just one lane for him to get through... they don't. Apparently, he's since been arrested but I guess it's OK because the protestors have stated they don't support the arrest:

Nuclear is absolutely not green, and has no real place in in a 100% renewable and green energy future.

LOL sure...

That's why the IPCC wants to increase the use of nuclear power following the signing of the Paris agreement then is it?

Is that why there are physicists and environmental lobbyists in the replies advocating for nuclear?

VYOPrPM.png

Back
Top Bottom