"Just stop oil"

Yet when the snooker thing came up not a single person at work had a clue as to what they were protesting about and the general sentiment was not very complimentary as to them...

Sometimes the only way to get attention for a cause is extremes but you also ultimately need people on your side and these protesters are simply turning everyone against them.

I think that says as much about your office as it does the protestors!

I think that says as much about your office as it does the protestors!

Just look at this thread, some of the supporters don't seem to know what they're supporting, they're just vaguely virtue-signaling their support because it's a protest related to the environment.

The protest isn’t to get people ‘onside’ they don’t want you to like them and join the protests they want the issues front page and all those things sad and distressing though they are do just that.

Once again suggest a form of protest that will give them the media platform they get currently?
What are they really achieving with the short-lived media attention though? Other than highlighting how truly incompetent they are.

The only accomplishment so far is that they (along with the insulation lot) have given the Government an excuse to strengthen it's position around protesting, ie - Public Order Bill and Policing Act.

They're so bad at protesting and getting their message out, i do wonder if it's not a false flag type scenario with a load of 'fossil fuel' conglomerates funneling money into these groups to help discredit climate change.

That is some terrible grasping you have going on there.
Not particularly. Insulate Britain was protesting late (September) 2021; Just Stop Oil began protesting April 2022; POB was drafted in May 2022. Just a coincidence?

Also don't assume i have an issue with protesting, i don't, far from it in fact. I just rather it actually achieve some good rather than be a metaphor for peeing in the wind.

I think the interesting questions here are - feel free to answer!

Is climate change one of the biggest threats to human society we face?

If "yes" => Are governments and industry doing enough to prevent the issues we face?

If "no" => How do we make them listen?

I imagine that for most people it is only on the 3rd question that we start to see divergence.

The divergence is how we get from A to B.

We need to advance to more environmental power sources. But it's not going to happen over night.

The way to make change is to 1. Start a massive conversion with the public, and 2. Come up with documented solutions and set a plan.

Trying to annoy the public is the worst plan. These people should ask themselves why have they been given an easy ride by the police, and why they keep being invited on to the tv. They have been exploited.

ROFL WTF are you on about now?

The people that are being exploited are the public.
i think there are some schools of thought that the government is happy to let these people cause a nuisance to basically turn the masses against them, which will then mean they will get support for bringing in pretty strong anti demonstration laws, which could stop more mainstream protesting.

Not saying i agree but i am guessing that is where Bowdon is coming from (I apologise if i am mistaken)

could you imagine if we did just stop oil ?? the planet would come to a standstill ... it's used in just about everything ..
there is just no way for the next 10-20 yrs we could do without it and thats if we started now ...
very strange how some people just don't think in depth about things ..

I guess "dont waste oil, respect it like the precious commodity that it is and use as little as possible" doesnt roll off the tongue as much.

I think it was fully charged online program which uses the phrase "stop burning stuff" which is perhaps a more workable tagline.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom