Kerbal Space Program

Man of Honour
So close,
Deployed sat in kerbal orbit 100km, deployed at in mun orbit 10k, and now out near minus, but can't get captured yet.

Also reloaded game due to box driver crash and one stage would not fire engine, lost three full fuel tanks. So annoying as its such a long mission to repeat.

Randevouze with planets does not work, debris/ships works fine. So I'm just not using that function, rest of it works fine.

Man of Honour
can anyone reccomend how i can get a rocket into orbit and what bits to use and which mods are best?

No mods till you've done everything,

Experiment, experiment experiment. To get to moon you want a heading of 90-easier or the slightly harder 270. Inclination zero (line between blue and brown).

Don't forget Asas which is very usefull and only use one, stacking doesn't help. The normal SAS are stackable and are better when used with a ASAS.

Launch it depends how easy your craft is to steer (engines with vectoring make steering easy), ideally you want to go straight up to about 10km then gradually bank over to inclination of zero.

Last edited:
Soldato
No mods till you've done everything,

Experiment, experiment experiment. To get to moon you want a heading of 90-easier or the slightly harder 270. Inclination zero (line between blue and brown).

Don't forget Asas which is very usefull and only use one, stacking doesn't help. The normal SAS are stackable and are better when used with a ASAS.

Launch it depends how easy your craft is to steer (engines with vectoring make steering easy), ideally you want to go straight up to about 10km then gradually bank over to inclination of zero.

I've built a stable rocket but it only gets me to 30000 ft or whatever. Has anyone got tips for building a safe rocket which can fly?

Man of Honour
You really need to experiment, its the fun and beauty of the game.
remember staging, a normal liquid fuel rocket, can lift about 6 tons at take off.

remember staging.

try
Stage1
Parachute
Command module
Stack decoupler
Stage2
ASAS
Fuelx4
LV245 rocket motoe
6 radial decouplers
Stage3
18x fuel tanks
6x lt245 rocket motors
maybe some braces to stop it shacking to bits.

Thruster blocks are monouvering jets.
so place 6 at top of rocket and 6 near base of which ever stage gets into space. You wont need these yet. its more great help, when landing on moon.

Associate
also what do thruster blocks do ?

I've built a stable rocket but it only gets me to 30000 ft or whatever. Has anyone got tips for building a safe rocket which can fly?

Firstly experimentation + patients are absolutly a must! ;)
Too me 3 days of playing to achieve 30K, an 1 Month to achieve stable orbit! :o
So dont expect too conquor the solar system over night!

By definition I am a purist, absolutly never install mods, but there is some very good ones too download, been developed.
Please check the forums, if you already haven't @ http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php Register + Say HI.

Most of the fun of KSP, is develping your own craft, an experimenting with different designs!
One rule of thumb, more parts = more weight, so smaller can be better! ;)
An event with a super computer 500+ parts will kill most PC's! :eek:

Too Describe a solution too your building dilema:
Command pod + Parachute - on top!
Radial decoupler - under CP!
ASAS - under Decoupler
4x Tanks of Fuel - under ASAS in a line!
1x Biggest engine, LV-30!

That will easily achieve 100KM's Stabile orbit.. If you can pilot it! :cool:
Hope to see your results, an Kerbals voyages!

Soldato
Don't forget a few of the fins for steering and stability in the atmosphere! Got any screenshots of what you have made so far Neil? Happy to give you some pointers from that.

ive built a rocket but it goes up and i cant acheive orbit what is the orbit altitude?

Can orbit anywhere above atmosphere, generally I'd go above 120km that way you can speed up the gamespeed further should you want to. If you want to keep it really simple, but less efficient.... Fly straight up (locked with ASAS) until the map view is showing you will reach 100km, then near 100km start burning horizontally, that will stretch out your vertical flight into a big arch and then eventually an orbit.

In an ideal world, depending on the stability of your ship, you will start turning into an orbit at maybe 20km, you need a stable ship to get away with turning sooner.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
By definition I am a purist, absolutly never install mods, but there is some very good ones too download, been developed.
!

I don't know, I think you should do everything vanilla first, but after that there's some great mods.

Dynasty mod is good, for Satelites.
http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=11622.0

Ones I want to install and try
Satelite relay system
http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=9006.0

What I wat to k ow is if I can keep a little fuel left in each stage, take controll via this system and crash the parts back to earth. Il be giving it a try.

Big track looks cool for exploring mun, minimus
http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=9404.0

And need to find some fairings. To make rockets look neater.

Soldato
I don't know, I think you should do everything vanilla first, but after that there's some great mods.

Dynasty mod is good, for Satelites.
http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=11622.0

Ones I want to install and try
Satelite relay system
http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=9006.0

What I wat to k ow is if I can keep a little fuel left in each stage, take controll via this system and crash the parts back to earth. Il be giving it a try.

If you keep a mechjeb pod attatched to each stage, iirc when you detatch the part it appears as another vehicle and you can take control of it via the space center, I think thats how people get mun rovers to work properly.

Man of Honour
Put 4 geo stationery constats up, for that comsat control mod.

Now I need to find a tutorial on how to rendezvous, I just can't figure it out, I know you need to be in a smaller or big orbit, then when it's at a certain point fire up. But where to point, when etc I have no idea.

Installed a grab mod, so want to go collect some debris and have a tidy up.

Soldato
It's still in development at the moment. The current paid version includes better mod support, a runway for horizontal take off and a load of new parts including stuff to make planes.

I believe they're planning to add stuff like missions and such later on. Think one of the next things is keep track of costing of the ships so you can set yourself a budget.

Back
Top Bottom