Khat to be banned

Caporegime
You don't need to eat sugar to survive.

No, and that's not what I said. But you do need sugar to survive including glucose in the blood. When sugar is not directly present in food, the body will digest the complex carbohydrates in the food and absorb them as sugar, or even convert fats to sugar, so to say this substance that is naturally present in most foods directly or indirectly in the form of carbohydrates is inherently bad or to compare it to a psychoactive compound is absurd.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's like Coca leaves,

They tried to ban them before in their native country peru, it didn't work at all. They've been chewing coca leaves for god knows how long according to wikipedia thousands of years 8000+....

Khat has no significant historical roots in the uk or large support.

It will go the same way as other minority deviances.

Man of Honour
People seem to misunderstand current drugs policy and think its based on evidence of the physical and social harms of a substance. This simply isn't the case.

Well Professor Nutt (ex-head of the Advisory Council on the Mis-use of Drugs) feels it's no more harmful than coffee and the reason it was banned over here was pressure from the US, where they banned it a while ago (due to one of the constituent drugs of the plant, cathinone, being on their controlled substance list) and because it was still freely available over here, we were a smuggling transit.

Yes and no - they are factors, but not as large a factor as politics. A thing which David Nutt seems unable to understand. And while I'm on that subject: David Nutt is not the world's leading authority on drugs. He's a mid-range authority, who runs his own consultancy, and all his pronouncements these days are essentially trying to drum up business.

Cathinone is also banned in the UK, and has been for a very long time. IIRC, it was in the original 1971 MDA. However, the MDA currently only applied to the drug, but not when in plant form. I should also point out that the argument over khat has been going on for at least fifteen years in this country, so this is hardly a New Thing. Attempts to ban it usually raise the issue of racism, since it is only used by one racial group, but also issues of criminal gangs getting rich off the stuff.

Man of Honour
Yes and no - they are factors, but not as large a factor as politics. A thing which David Nutt seems unable to understand. And while I'm on that subject: David Nutt is not the world's leading authority on drugs. He's a mid-range authority, who runs his own consultancy, and all his pronouncements these days are essentially trying to drum up business.

Who in your opinion is a leading authority?

Back
Top Bottom