Kingdom Come: Deliverance / Open-World RPG / Medieval History

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
970 would probably run it at around medium/high mix, so better GPU would come in handy.
Better CPU too though, 4 cores are not a lot these days :)
At 4K I hardly ever see my cpu go over 50%. Usually in the 20-30% it hovers :)

Only game I saw using more cpu power was ashes of a singularity. Being at 4.7GHz I think helps :)

Medium to high is not bad actually. Many times once I get hooked into games graphics start being less of a concern. Like it happens to me even on the original deus ex.

Will report back once I get the game and let you know how I get on. My target is 57fps, don’t mind some dips as g-sync takes care of it.

Soldato
OP
At 4K I hardly ever see my cpu go over 50%. Usually in the 20-30% it hovers :)

Only game I saw using more cpu power was ashes of a singularity. Being at 4.7GHz I think helps :)

Medium to high is not bad actually. Many times once I get hooked into games graphics start being less of a concern. Like it happens to me even on the original deus ex.

Will report back once I get the game and let you know how I get on. My target is 57fps, don’t mind some dips as g-sync takes care of it.

When I tried KCD on 2500K at 4ghz, it dropped frames to 40s in the towns with lot of NPCs, maybe your 4.7 will manage over 50, it is true that Gsync helps a lot to smooth out slight drops below 60. Still, I do not regret getting Ryzen and RTX combo :)

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
When I tried KCD on 2500K at 4ghz, it dropped frames to 40s in the towns with lot of NPCs, maybe your 4.7 will manage over 50, it is true that Gsync helps a lot to smooth out slight drops below 60. Still, I do not regret getting Ryzen and RTX combo :)
Do you game or did you game at 4K back then? There is not much need for CPU power at this resolution for gaming. Plus there is a decent difference between Sandy Bridge and Haswell.

Will let you knowe soon :)

Was close to getting a Ryzen 3600 but the BIOS issues and lack of clockspeed together with not needing the extra power yet at 4K put me off.

Soldato
OP
Do you game or did you game at 4K back then? There is not much need for CPU power at this resolution for gaming. Plus there is a decent difference between Sandy Bridge and Haswell.

Will let you knowe soon :)

Was close to getting a Ryzen 3600 but the BIOS issues and lack of clockspeed together with not needing the extra power yet at 4K put me off.

1080p, but when CPU cannot pump out 60fps at 1080p, it is also not able to pump out 60fps at 4K regardless of GPU power. But of course maybe your fasterclocked Haswell will be able to do it unlike my old Sandy Bridge.

BTW in Kingdom Come I do not think you will be able to get 4K ;) I am playing with Ryzen 2700X + RTX2080Ti and I am running it in 2880*1600, very high preset, all LoD sliders maxed out to get 60fps. The game is demanding, but it looks the part.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
1080p, but when CPU cannot pump out 60fps at 1080p, it is also not able to pump out 60fps at 4K regardless of GPU power. But of course maybe your fasterclocked Haswell will be able to do it unlike my old Sandy Bridge.

BTW in Kingdom Come I do not think you will be able to get 4K ;) I am playing with Ryzen 2700X + RTX2080Ti and I am running it in 2880*1600, very high preset, all LoD sliders maxed out to get 60fps. The game is demanding, but it looks the part.
You are probably right. Might be worth just waiting until next year when I get at least a 3070 :)

Soldato
OP
Well, I loved the monastery quest. I spent about 5 ingame days there, so yes, the routine did get tedious (and I was up until 5AM yesterday because I wanted to finish this quest no matter what).
But that tediousness is the whole point, to show what that monk life is like...so I didn't mind at all, the opposite. Did all the sidequests
(brought the wine for the enforcers, helped the guy who got bullied by them, found the Art of Love pages, brought the arabian Avicenna book to Nevlas)
, participated properly in all the routines (and in four attempts never managed to transcribe that latin text without fault, it is hard as **** to parse so the librarian always roasted me) while sneaking around during evening and night. Helped Pious
fake his death, then stole his dice and brought his ass to jail.

There were few tiny bugs (journal entry being inaccurate and then getting changed to accurate one, dialogue not making 100% sense sometimes) but nothing significant.
I found this quest on the whole really ambitious and enjoyable, it reminded me of Beyond the Beef from New Vegas, complex, atmospheric, lots of moving parts and options, a kinda miniworld in the world. It also portrayed the isolation of the monks from the outside world really well. When the doorman monk says "get used to it, you are going to be wearing this for the rest of your life", yeah...
Kudos to Warhorse, their first RPG and already fencing with the best of them.

Soldato
OP
So, on monday I finished Deliverance. It took me exactly 200 hours, doing everything and on hardcore, according to steam.
I posted a pretty comprehensive review on steam, so why not post it here as well. Suffice to say, I loved the game to bits.

Review:

Before I started playing Deliverance, I waited for all the patches to be out (1.9.2 being the last) as well as all DLCs. And I upgraded my PC and used hardcore mode right from the start.

First thing that caught my eye after I started playing (besides a couple of beautiful intros) was how good the gameplay "feel" was of playing and controlling Henry (I play with Xbox One controller). I love the fact that Henry isn't some detached levitating camera, but an actual character in the world, so I can see my body when looking down, my shoulders or even a bow when looking behind me, my hands when interacting with the world (such as picking arrows from dead enemies or opening doors). It may sound unimportant, but this stuff is not exactly commonplace - of the 3D first person RPGs I played, I can't think of a single one that had this kind of physicality and presence in the world.

Second immediately noticeable thing is the gorgous graphics. Regardless of it it's hovels, houses, villages, forests, meadows, creeks, rivers...everything is crafted with an eye for detail and accurate sense of reality. Lightning feels amazingly real and texture quality is universally great. I would even dare say that of today's games, only Red Dead Redemption 2 has similarly beautiful world. Often I just had to stop and take in the beauty. In concert with the gameplay mechanics, Deliverance is almost like a time machine into 1403 Bohemia. Characters are portrayed also well (especially clothing); where the presentation stumbles a bit is in faces and their animations - particularly eyes during dialogue could stand some improvement not seem as static.

RPG system. Deliverance takes the best from its competition and mixes it with a dose of common sense and simulation. In practice that means you get better by doing like in a TES game (e.g. shoot deer with a bow ---> increase skill at archery and hunting). Added to that is the possibility to select a perk (every skill has its own perk tree) every few levels - just like in Fallout. Some perks are positive, some also have some negatives, but most are useful and enjoyable, or funny (True Slav). They add some spice to the levelling system. Character progression in general is handled very well, at the start Henry is a true village redneck who can't read or even use sword without it nearly falling out of his hands, but by the end I was able to defeat multiple fullplated enemies simultaneously. It is quite reminiscent of Gothic in that way.

I could waste pages upon pages describing the depth and detail of the gameplay mechanics, so just as a short examples let me write about three:

- Drinking. Not only is boozing its own skill with its own perk category, but the way drinking is implemented is both fresh and realistic. At first you drink and feel great..your speaking skill increases, no problem..as you drink more, your view starts shaking a bit, blurs, then you can't walk straight, and if you get drunk too much, you can fall unconscious. And the next day you feel terrible and your stats are hurt. And if you repeat that too often, you become an alcoholic.

- Reading. Because Henry is a village yokel, he can't read. So in order to read ingame books (and do quests that require it), you have to physically learn to read. Find a scribe and convince him to teach you. Then you sit and read, and as you physically do it, the letters in the books start making sense more and more. And if you sit (even on a toilet), you get a reading bonus. I love this stuff.

- Alchemy. To call this a "minigame" is almost an insult. It is simply a beautifully portrayed in-game mixing of various herbs to create potions, their crushing, cooking, combining...no GUI tables like from Excel you would see in other games, but very well portrayed actual thing to do, as it should be. And of course as you practice alchemy, you get better and better at it and unlock new skills related to it.

The world lives by itself, NPCs have their schedules, work during the day, fun in the evening, sleeping at night..I liked the little detail that before people go to sleep, they take off their clothes first. That can be of course used during gameplay.
Or how people greet and comment upon Henry not just by his reputation, but also things like dirt on his clothes.
Deliverance is a truly immersive experience and that almost simulationist aspect - the way tiredness is handled or the need to eat..it all helps the feeling "I am there". When I was sneaking into a burned out Skalitz and a storm started, I could not help but remember STALKER and its brilliant atmosphere. Deliverance almost feels like a mix of medieval STALKER and Witcher.

I also have to mention the combat. Combat is not the reason why I play games - I much more enjoy narrative, exploration, dialogues, quests - but it is not completely unimportant. In Deliverance, the combat is designed in a fairly unique way, but it has advantages as well as drawbacks. First the good - the progression works, where at first any enemy is a risk, but by the end you are capable of dispatching even a bit overwhelming odds. Also great is the ability to aim at different body parts, learn new moves, combos, finesse moves like masterstrike or riposte. One issue however is that for the aiming to work, the game uses lock-on, and lock-on can be very unwieldy when facing multiple opponents. It is not always easy to switch and it can be annoying getting hammered from the side because I am locked to a different opponent and cannot look around. Maybe it would be good to let us disable lock-on in mass combat to let us just swing "skyrim style", but who knows how that would work.
On the other hand, Deliverance is more realistic than most (all?) RPGs and inability to easily kill hordes of enemies fits quite well here. When I go clear a camp full of cumans, it makes sense to first thin out their numbers with a bow (perhaps with poisoned arrows as well) and then try to take on the rest (and use hammer if they have plate armor). Trying to play more intelligently than just rushing in the middle of the enemy pack and dance/slash, Witcher-style.

Quests. In a game full of innovative approach to design, quests are perhaps the most interesting. Not only are they generally well written, allow for various different ways of completion and use the game mechanics to their fullest, but the game also pleasantly implements time. So quests where it makes sense can be urgent and have a hidden time limit, and if Henry dawdles, things can happen without him. But there is no game over, game continues and you just have to do things differently and face the consequence. Henry is a great protagonist, I had no issue emphatizing with him, although it is true the dialogue and story is written more for Henry a Good Person rather than Henry a Psychopath. No problem with me, I don't like killing innocents and stealing from them. As far as quests go, I won't spoil any details, but get ready to investigate various crimes, searching for heretics, help with wedding preparations, trying to cure a village hit by a plague, infiltration of a monastery (particularly amazing and ambitious quest) and many others.
Quests are at similar quality as Witcher games, from player agency standpoint are possibly even ahead of them, although unlike Witchers, Deliverance has one set ending. By the way, the DLCs are absolute must for a complete experience. Not only do they add extra functionality (a dog companion, village rebuilding) but Amorous Adventures and Woman's Lot contain some truly outstanding quests. One is comedy, the other is tragedy, but both recommended.
It is true that Deliverance's ending leaves door (or a gate) open to a sequel, but it's so meaty and satisfying that I didn't mind, with its beautiful outro and epilogue as well as awesome orchestral metal song in the credits. That brought back memories of Mafia 1 and its Lake of Fire song in credits - also seemingly unfitting, but actually being a perfect last note.

For completion's sake, I will list the bugs and things to improve into a sequel. I assume people at Warhorse are aware of all this - some stuff is simply limitation of the technology or lack of budget.
First, the bugs:

- I fell into a ground once in a forest (hunting rabbits, rabbit disappeared so I followed him and fell right there with him), had to reload
- inability to zoom map in Rattay (fixed itself in few hours)
- during dialogue with Štepánka at Talmberk, camera stared into a wall instead of Henry
- from time to time, NPCs can walk through another NPC
- Kuno (character from DLC Band of Ba stards) was nowhere to be found and I could not continue the quest, reload fixed it
- once, Henry did a T-Pose in the inventory (fixed by game restart)
- two crashes to windows (both caused by too small swap file in windows - after I increased it, no crash ever again)

Things to improve:
- I understand that Warhorse does not have Rockstar's resorces, but I still hope sequel will improve on animations, both facial ones and standard ones (barmaid looks a bit too robotic)
- the amazing graphics is hurt but LoDs (swapping model complexity depending on player movement). It is visible particularly during fast horse rides
- indestructible and impassable bushes. I get that some bushes in real world are nigh inpenetrable, but it is still a bit ridiculous for my great, strong horse Sleipnir to get stumped by a small bush
- sometimes (fortunately rarely) the text in quest journal did not accurately reflect what I did, and some dialogues did not flow completely logically
- clothes clipping can be visible from time to time

One last note about the hardcode mode. I wholeheartedly recommend playing with it. The game may be harder (I have no comparison, never played base difficulty), but the single lone fact that there is no Henry icon on the map - no GPS - makes Deliverance even more amazingly immersive experience. Having to really look around, pay attention to the surrounding landmarks, navigate by rivers, buildings, sun position..brilliant. Deliverance is probably the first game in forever where I genuinely got lost in the woods. Some may find this annoying, but I loved it.

In summary: Kingdom Come: Deliverance is, together with Red Dead Redemption 2 and Witcher 3, my favourite game of this generation, and probably of all time. If you have good PC, patience and ability to appreciate something fresh and immersive, you will very likely love it.

Last edited:
Soldato
So, on monday I finished Deliverance. It took me exactly 200 hours, doing everything and on hardcore, according to steam.
I posted a pretty comprehensive review on steam, so why not post it here as well. Suffice to say, I loved the game to bits.

*snip*

Great write up, thanks.

Did you use the unlimited save mod?

I've only played this for a short while (for the second time), and not sure i like the schnapps mechanic.

Soldato
OP
Great write up, thanks.

Did you use the unlimited save mod?

I've only played this for a short while (for the second time), and not sure i like the schnapps mechanic.

Thanks also.

I used zero mods. Pure vanilla.

At the start of the game I got in total I think 8 Schnappses, and also used "save and exit" when needed.
After I ran out of Schnappses, I went immediately to learn to read and then learned how to brew it. Afterwards everytime I was in Rattay I just brewed some schnappses for the trip.
As you level up the alchemy, you can unlock skill to brew 3 schnappses instead of 1. And then even to brew them automatically without going through the process. Personally I never lost much progress, most was iirc about 20 minutes.

Soldato
Quick question, is this game worth sticking with and playing through?

Downloaded on Xbox games pass, played about and hour or so to the bit where you flee the castle and go back to bury parents.

Haven’t had the will to go back to it, feels a bit janky and just hasn’t pulled me in so far.

Anyhow as above, worth persevering with it? as I have come across games which do take some time before you start enjoying them.

Soldato
OP

Downloaded on Xbox games pass, played about and hour or so to the bit where you flee the castle and go back to bury parents.

Haven’t had the will to go back to it, feels a bit janky and just hasn’t pulled me in so far.

Anyhow as above, worth persevering with it? as I have come across games which do take some time before you start enjoying them.

You could read the longazz review I posted few posts above yours. As far as I am concerned it is one of the best games ever made, even with that bit of jank and rougher edge.

Associate

I thought it was one of the worst broken game I've ever played and couldn't take anymore of it. Each to their own though.

Soldato
I thought it was one of the worst broken game I've ever played and couldn't take anymore of it. Each to their own though.

Seems the gaming gods have decided for me. My save file appears to be corrupted (or the game itself) and won’t load after the rest mist sequence after you lose the sword burying your parents. Just stays on loading screen after making you replay that red must sequence. Tried restarting etc just same loop.

Not a good sign this early, imagine being 20+ hours in invested.

Shame as above posters review kind of put me in the mood to push through with it.

Soldato
OP
Seems the gaming gods have decided for me. My save file appears to be corrupted (or the game itself) and won’t load after the rest mist sequence after you lose the sword burying your parents. Just stays on loading screen after making you replay that red must sequence. Tried restarting etc just same loop.

Not a good sign this early, imagine being 20+ hours in invested.

Shame as above posters review kind of put me in the mood to push through with it.

To be honest, this seems like a problem exclusive to the nonsense UWP locked down Xbox Gamepass version of the game. I have seen some other people post about save related issues lately on reddit and the common thread is that they use the gamepass version. Given how many problems the MS Store gave me over the years, that does not surprise me. All I can say is that I have 215 hours played in Steam version and not a single save-related problem, no crashes, and only few bugs (fixable by reload).

Soldato
Having come back again to KCD from the Witcher 3, the lack of story and discussion response to activities you've already performed grates somewhat. The voice acting is also really quite poor in comparison.

But it's still a seriously masterful game and a joy to get immersed back in to (but it has lost my gaming masterpiece label to the Witcher 3).

Associate
Having come back again to KCD from the Witcher 3, the lack of story and discussion response to activities you've already performed grates somewhat. The voice acting is also really quite poor in comparison.

But it's still a seriously masterful game and a joy to get immersed back in to (but it has lost my gaming masterpiece label to the Witcher 3).

True but its the only medieval simulator we have

Soldato
OP
Modding tools have been released, full editor and cryengine sandbox

And a first tutorial:

I am afraid it is too late and the tools are too extensive and complicated for a large Skyrim-like modding scene to emerge, but it is still cool. Especially if anyone wants to work on RPGs professionally, there is probably no better way than just downloading these, learning it, making some quests and applying to Warhorse or CD Projekt.

Soldato
Still playing but the monastery mission absolutely killed it for me. I rushed through that with a bit of help from online sites, so much time spent doing nothing but waiting. Since then I've felt rushed and just doing fetch quests. Fairly sure I'm getting close to the end now and disappointingly i don't think I'll keep on playing once the story is done.

Adored it up until that point ( maybe a little before).

Soldato
Is there known issue with stuttering to almost a crawl in cut scenes? Using a ryzen 3900 and it crawled to a standstill 10 minutes into the game with a cutscene talking to someone, no problem when running around in game.

Back
Top Bottom