Kitchen Renovation

Soldato
OP
I love the look and style of the small minimal pan brackets on the one I posted, but my only concern is if theya re not removable then cleaning could be a PITA - cannot work out if they are removable or not.

Soldato
We didn't want the minimal look ones as found the pan wasn't as steady as we would like and my other half is quite clumsy so that wasn't good for us, but each to their own.

The manual for that hob doesn't specifically say if the brackets can be removed but I'd be very surprised if they couldn't. It might be worth giving the manufacturer a call and asking.

Soldato
OP
looks like the roof leak was present for much longer than we knew....

The old boards around the top of the window and the corner has all disintegrated and came off. So new boards and replaster all needed.

111Capture.JPG

Soldato
I love the look and style of the small minimal pan brackets on the one I posted, but my only concern is if theya re not removable then cleaning could be a PITA - cannot work out if they are removable or not.
as the-evaluator said, I would be concerned about pan stability on those, versus a regular trivet that extends from outside onto the burner,
glass always feels like a le-creuset could chip it too ... child proof ? less space too, to leave group of pans to dry off. - chacun son goût

.. you're sticking with fluorescent tubes ? I think they can give a more uniform light .. some led/high-cri t8 versions now

Soldato
OP
I am replacing the ceiling light for a LED batten light, something like: https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-twin-led-batten-60w-5600lm-5ft/7223v

I prefer Batten to wide angle down lights built into the ceilings.

less space too, to leave group of pans to dry off. - chacun son goût
My pans dry in the dishwasher after the wash cycle is complete.

Day1 finished for the plasterer.
He prepped all the walls and ceiling, and pasted the main wall. (just not the window wall yet) Tomorrow he is hopign to get the ceiling and other wallsa pasted so he can skim it all smooth.

wall1Capture4.JPG

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The plasterer has been again today, he has put the base coat on the wall to the left of the above photo. And replastered the ceiling now. He could only do a half day today.

Tomorrow/Friday it will all finished :)

Ceiling is looking decent now.

21212121.JPG

Soldato
what was the technique to prepare the ceiling ?
looked as though it was artexed in some way (oil/water based ?) ... so would you have had to do some significant mechanical grinding to create a good base ?

Soldato
We had earmarked that exact hob as we wanted a gas on glass, but after viewing it in the shop we changed our mind. Nothing particularly wrong with it, or the brand, but the pan supports just weren't sturdy enough to suit us. They are removable and seemed easily knocked out of place, which could be a nightmare when transferring a full pan from one ring to another.

In the end we went for the 4 burner version of this, but I can't find it on their site right now: https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/hg995440nb/aeg-hg995440nb-gas-on-glass-hob

Soldato
They're superb. I was looking to cut costs so bought the Insinkerator 3N1 which came in around £600.

Franke do one where the tank goes behind the plinth which is great to avoid using up loads of cupboard space.

Quooker is the daddy though. You can even get them with a flexible hose which is excellent. They'll also stay on without holding the switch which is perfect for filling pans for pasta/potatoes. They're around £1200 though.

Given most of your kitchen has come in under budget and you have the funds, i'd go with the Quooker

Soldato
OP
The plasterer is getting there....

Two walls and ceiling done

2018-09-06%2015.10.40.jpg

the window has been reboarded and now base coated

2018-09-06%2015.11.26.jpg

window22222ssss.JPG

Tomorrow is the last day and it should be finished.
I then will be using some self levelling compound to flatten any issues with the floor, ready for me to tile this weekend. Hopefully the walls will be dry by Sunday to paint the ceiling and walls.

I have put a oil filled radiator in the room to help with drying the plaster out etc.

New LED batten light was bought today from ScrewFix - I know LED downlights look better but a Batten offers more light which is preferable for my wifes detailed cake baking work she does. So functionality wins over modernisation styling!

Soldato
New LED batten light was bought today from ScrewFix - I know LED downlights look better but a Batten offers more light which is preferable for my wifes detailed cake baking work she does. So functionality wins over modernisation styling!

My thoughts exactly, it's a kitchen so functionality comes first.

I did toy with the idea of a few LED panels (like you'd get in an office) to spread the light around but ended up with a twin 5' LED batten. Coupled to dimmable worktop lighting it gives us a good range of options from background lighting for making a cuppa or sat having a meal to full on baking session mode.

Soldato
OP
Thats ace @jpaul but our ceiling isn't high enough for that to not look stupid.

Anyway just had my kitchen units delivered.... the wife is gunna go crazy when she gets home from work. The living room was already full of our kitchen stuff and now all of the units are here too.

boxes2222.JPG

boxes.JPG

I just went and bought a big bag of self levelling compound for me to put down on the floor tonight once the plasterer is done today. Floor tiling can be laid then tomorrow from around lunch time. Then got to wait for the plaster to dry (hopefully Sunday/Monday) then paint the ceiling and walls ready for the cupboards to be built and go in!

It's starting to come together now!

Soldato
Looking great, can't beat freshly plastered rooms for giving you a clean slate to start from.

(ignore the bends in the ceiling pic - that was the panaromic doing that haha)

I'm hoping the camera is playing the same trick with the floor too, otherwise you'll need a lorry load of self levelling rather than a bag! :D

Back
Top Bottom