Knife Thread

Caporegime
Last edited:
Soldato
Oh yeah. Well spotted.

p.s. I realise that Procook Santoku knife i got last month is a bit too big for cutting stuff for my portions size, much prefer the Santoku TOG that i have. So the Nakiri at 165mm would be more suited as that is what i am cutting with the Procook knife anyway, fruit and vegetables.

edit - another one on the short list.

https://cuttingedgeknives.co.uk/collections/nakiri-knives/products/tsunehisa-as-morado-nakiri

I've used cutting edge a few times, they're a really nice small family business. I like the look of the migaki Tsunehisa.

https://cuttingedgeknives.co.uk/collections/nakiri-knives/products/tsunehisa-as-migaki-nakiri

I'm considering the 180 gyuto in this range as a birthday present for my Dad.

Soldato
Is the blade coming out of the handle in a hidden tang ever a thing? I prefer the aesthetic of a hidden tang blade but I worry the metal and the wood come apart.
It can do, depending on how it's been secured. They're glued and sometimes pinned (not always visible at a glance) so it's pretty damn secure for kitchen use.

Soldato
Is the blade coming out of the handle in a hidden tang ever a thing? I prefer the aesthetic of a hidden tang blade but I worry the metal and the wood come apart.

Not really, they're usually friction fit pretty tight and maybe epoxied too I guess. Given that it's never going anywhere near a dishwasher then unlikely to give an issue - pretty easy to re-handle too if ever needed. They're also lighter which moves the balance point forward which generally improves handling.

Soldato
Caporegime
Another one to the shortlist.

After watching a video on various different finishes, I think this one might be more durable in keeping the new look longer. These 2 are £130. I am learning towards the 1st one at the moment.

https://cuttingedgeknives.co.uk/collections/all-knives/products/tsunehisa-as-cherry-nakiri

CvFJJDK.jpg

The other 2 that i like.

HHIxLC0.jpg

Full tang (£170)

Z5GKxTz.jpg

I have also decided to go for Super Blue Steel as the core, just because i want something with that in a knife.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well I got that po-cook Nigiri linked that was dicounted from £50 - £12.

Great bargain but................

Mine had a chip in the blade, all be it tiny, but even so.....

Plus its not actually that sharp, not from what I would expect from a normally £50 knife.

I have a cheap cleaver I bought from Wilkos for £10 which I sharpen myself using a whetstone Id say is as sharp.

It wont do the "sideways tomato" cut, and actually even top down the tomoato started squashing under the blade rather then cutting it, this was a straight down cut with no stroke, but even so, I expected better......

I am going to go back about the chip, and see what they say, honestly not sure if I will take a replacement over a refund, maybe, I mean for £12 its okay........ no way in hell would I be happy if I had spent £50 and I would 100% be wanting a refund.

Soldato
Well I got that po-cook Nigiri linked that was dicounted from £50 - £12.

Great bargain but................

Mine had a chip in the blade, all be it tiny, but even so.....

Plus its not actually that sharp, not from what I would expect from a normally £50 knife.

I have a cheap cleaver I bought from Wilkos for £10 which I sharpen myself using a whetstone Id say is as sharp.

It wont do the "sideways tomato" cut, and actually even top down the tomoato started squashing under the blade rather then cutting it, this was a straight down cut with no stroke, but even so, I expected better......

I am going to go back about the chip, and see what they say, honestly not sure if I will take a replacement over a refund, maybe, I mean for £12 its okay........ no way in hell would I be happy if I had spent £50 and I would 100% be wanting a refund.

As I think I've said on here ProCook knives are never worth what they claim the original price to be, that's why they're always on sale. For £12 they're fine, but I wouldn't expect much for that kind of money.

https://japan-knifeshop.com/en-gb/c...fujitora-dp-3-layer-nakiri-knife-165mm-fu-310

Something like this is a genuinely good entry-level chef knife that I would happily use in a professional kitchen. It's basic but it uses good quality steel and is from a highly regarded producer.

Soldato
As I think I've said on here ProCook knives are never worth what they claim the original price to be, that's why they're always on sale. For £12 they're fine, but I wouldn't expect much for that kind of money.

https://japan-knifeshop.com/en-gb/c...fujitora-dp-3-layer-nakiri-knife-165mm-fu-310

Something like this is a genuinely good entry-level chef knife that I would happily use in a professional kitchen. It's basic but it uses good quality steel and is from a highly regarded producer.

Pro cook came back already and are sending a replacement and simply said to "dispose" of the one I have, the chip really is tiny so I've more or less got 2 knifes for £12 now, so happy enough.

But yeah, definitely not a £50 knife.

Caporegime
Speaking of not "£50 knife", I don't think the TOG Santoku are a £230 knife. I have no idea the metal used in it, their website doesn't really say so. It feels like it's 90% marketing. It's probably a £100-£120 knife. Nice handle, good weight and balance, pretty sharp but it's not Super Blue Carbon. The copper is for show and like any copper, it tarnishes/oxidises.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Pro cook came back already and are sending a replacement and simply said to "dispose" of the one I have, the chip really is tiny so I've more or less got 2 knifes for £12 now, so happy enough.

But yeah, definitely not a £50 knife.

That's good they've responded so quickly.

I got mine today. Seems pretty sharp from first use.

Got a Santoku because at that price why not, but t the normal rrp definitely not worth the money.

tZOaYK.jpg

Soldato
That's good they've responded so quickly.

I got mine today. Seems pretty sharp from first use.

Got a Santoku because at that price why not, but t the normal rrp definitely not worth the money.

tZOaYK.jpg

Mine are standing up well after 12 months of daily use and abuse. Though they were 'free' with a set of pans costing £400.

On a sideways related note. The pan set finish (anodised) started fading after a few months and they replaced the lot and told me to do whatever I wanted with the original set, so decent after sales.

Soldato
I think I have decided. Is their honing rod worth getting? Or should I get another one like a Wusthof one?

I got a King 1000/6000 Whetshone on the way from Amazon.

4jP5F9M.png

Personally I'd get a strop instead of the honing rod. It's a decent enough rod but I get better results with a quick strop and no risk of scratching the pretty pretty knife :p

Soldato
They occasionally have promos where they give the honing rod away with knife purchases too so can always pick one up for free at a later date when you inevitably succumb to more knife lust!

Don
I got my Ryusen Nakiri from mygoodknife - beware if you get it from here as you'll be charged import; But not had any issues with the knife.

It's a Ryusen Hamono Nakiri Bonten Unryu; I need to pick up the Santoku or Gyotu at some point!

Back
Top Bottom