Knife Thread

Associate
Softness aside, what are the characteristics that showed it to be a lowish quality steel?

... Really?

The fact that it is soft.

Kitchen knives should not be soft unless for specific uses, like cleavers or cutting frozen goods. In those particular examples a softer metal can be beneficial, as they're less prone to breaking and/or chipping.

They list a rockwell of 55 +-2 on their website for the x50. So it could be as low as 53. They don't divulge the specific type of steel they use which is a red flag, although they likely use x50 cr mo v15 which has a maximum hardness of 56 Rockwell. A kitchen knife with a 53 rating will take a very fine edge, for about an hour of use and after that will need to be sharpened.

In a home kitchen, that may not be an issue as it will only be used for a few minutes at a time. But in a professional kitchen, it's an absolute PITA.

My Aogami Blue goes 2 months between needing a sharpen, not 1 hour.

Associate
Made a few purchases today. I've been using a set of Ikea knives for the last 12 years and whilst they've been okay, I've found myself sharpening them after every other use and I felt like it was time to invest a bit.

I ordered the following:

Yoshida Blue #2 Kurouchi 165mm Nakiri - this isn't a replacement but a knife style I wanted to try.
Masutani VG10 Damascus 180mm Gyuto - a replacement for my existing everyday Ikea knife.
Tojiro DP 120mm Petty (Fujitora) - a replacement for a knife my wife uses, she has small hands and finds the shorter blade easier to work with.

I don't know if I've made the right choices, I was looking at the Zwilling Pro range but wasn't blown away with the design/price. Comments welcome, I figured anything was better than my existing blades.

B

Caporegime
Made a few purchases today. I've been using a set of Ikea knives for the last 12 years and whilst they've been okay, I've found myself sharpening them after every other use and I felt like it was time to invest a bit.

I ordered the following:

Yoshida Blue #2 Kurouchi 165mm Nakiri - this isn't a replacement but a knife style I wanted to try.
Masutani VG10 Damascus 180mm Gyuto - a replacement for my existing everyday Ikea knife.
Tojiro DP 120mm Petty (Fujitora) - a replacement for a knife my wife uses, she has small hands and finds the shorter blade easier to work with.

I don't know if I've made the right choices, I was looking at the Zwilling Pro range but wasn't blown away with the design/price. Comments welcome, I figured anything was better than my existing blades.

B

They look decent, but note the Nakiri will rust unless you care for it, similar method to cast iron, but with this after you clean it wipe a layer of oil.

Associate
They look decent, but note the Nakiri will rust unless you care for it, similar method to cast iron, but with this after you clean it wipe a layer of oil.
I've never had an issue with my carbon steel knives rusting as long as I dry them properly after cleaning them. If I had to oil them every time, I'd probably just end up not using them.

Sure, they build up a patina over time so they're not shiny and new, but I actively like that :)

Associate

I ordered the following:

B
Japanese knife yes.

Soldato

I ordered the following:

B

How are you finding the Yoshida nakiri?
I'm looking to buy a Nakiri as a gift but want something that is decent without breaking the bank, lol!

Associate
How are you finding the Yoshida nakiri?
I'm looking to buy a Nakiri as a gift but want something that is decent without breaking the bank, lol!
It’s really good, I’m glad I bought it. It doesn’t feel as sharp as the Masutani and as others have said it needs some looking after. Chopping something acidic like tomatoes I swear you can almost see the metal tainting. It needs to be looked after but my main concern before purchasing it was the handle style which as it turns out I’m totally okay with, coming from using only European style handles previously.

If you’re looking at trying the style without spending mega money I would recommend it based on my experience. However I still find myself picking up the gyoto more often.

B

Last edited:
Associate
Bought a chopper :) Figured I needed a meat cleaver after unsuccessfully trying to part bones with my heaviest Chef's knife. Advantage of this one is its weight - at 960g it has some whack behind it. Also, it's made in England (albeit from German steel :( ). Still, at least it's not made in China like everything else.

Soldato
Anyone got any experience with the Spyderco sharpmaker? It's cheaper than usual on Amazon and looking for something better than my Minosharp.

I bought a used one just to try and was not impressed

I have pro grade stones, diamond coated blocks and a DMT aligned kit

Every time i go for the aligner kit, it is the easiest to get good results and works well although im not sure it is suitable for kitchen knives over about 9 inches

Soldato
Anyone got any experience with the Spyderco sharpmaker? It's cheaper than usual on Amazon and looking for something better than my Minosharp.
It's a useful unit for maintaining an edge, but without the diamond rods, you may struggle to fully reprofile a blade. It's useful for their products (which come with a 30 degree factory edge), as it has just two 'settings', 30 and 40 as for their knives they recommend 30 degree back bevel, and then apply a 40 degree edge to that 30 degree foundation.

I have one, but I wouldn't buy another if it were to be lost as I have a KME which whilst much more of a faff to use, is more suited to my needs. However, it is a lot more expensive than the Sharpmaker.

Soldato
baffles me all these kits .. i have a ceramic block a steel and a diamond steel ...simple and effective
There's a skill curve for those though, whilst set angle kits make life easier for a lot of people who don't really want to fuss over the technique of freehand sharpening.
I use a set of DMT diamond bench stones for some of mine, but I wouldn't lend them to someone who's not used them before and expect anything but ruined knives!

Soldato
Sharpened my Japanese Nikiri for the first time since having it from July last year.

Only used the 8000 grit whetstone, I thought it may be a pain the sharpen didn't spend too long at all, and man the thing is like a razor, it'll nearly do the tomato test and that's with our small thick skinned ****** tomatoes.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Hello All,
Considering this knife, it allreads well. Any knife experts see something I don`t before i hit buy? @Raymond Lin :D

Linky

Reads like a lot of advertising bluff.

Liquid Metal Pattern
Added Nitrogen (air is 80% Nitrogen)
Hyper Steel!

It will be machine pressed out of a steel plate, pattern would be stamped on and then sharpened down. You can get the same performance for half the price without all the fancy pattern or the stand.

Any knife that uses weird words like that I immediately get turned off by it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom