Large increase in migrant workers.

:eek: You realise age discrimination is illegal right?

However your post touches on part of the problem, if your face don't fit - you don't get the job. Sadly these days there's a massive schism in society, between the middle and lower classes.

Yes it's illegal, but we won't hire someone who won't fit in the team. We're all quite young (late 20's, boss is 31), so having someone >=10 years older than him working for him would be weird, and we couldn't really see working with someone so much older than us. The oldest person's CV we received must have been over 50.

The only English CVs we've had are from a handful of guys in their 40s and they would not fit in our team.

Of course you mean 'fit in' as in having the required skill set to fit your companies needs?

Cause putting your need to chat about skating above your companies needs for competent staff is pretty lame.

Good, that was half the problem, we need less people with degrees in media studies and more people who can do plumbing, gas/electrical work, etc. Then maybe we won't have to employ so many immigrants, this country has a shortage of skilled workers, sending more kids to uni to party will not fix that.

We also need doctors, engineers, scientists, etc. A large percentage of professionals in London are immigrant workers (earning way more than minimum wage). Sending kids to university does solve this, especially if they go on to earn post-graduate qualifications.

You seem proud of the fact you enjoy smarming your way up the ladder... can just imagine you going home after a hard days work and updating your LinkedIn a/c in the desperate search for someone to carry you with them. :)

I work in sales so yes, I woun't be doing my job very well if I didn't :)

We also need doctors, engineers, scientists, etc. A large percentage of professionals in London are immigrant workers (earning way more than minimum wage). Sending kids to university does solve this, especially if they go on to earn post-graduate qualifications.

only if they do courses in engineering etc, not media studies or the normal useless subjects

Yes it's illegal, but we won't hire someone who won't fit in the team. We're all quite young (late 20's, boss is 31), so having someone >=10 years older than him working for him would be weird, and we couldn't really see working with someone so much older than us. The oldest person's CV we received must have been over 50.

This is a very big problem. Young people - so called high flyer managers, masking their own insecurities by shafting someone due to age.

Off course it works other ways too especially in public sector, young blood have trouble getting into management because everyone else is so old.

Last edited:
All immigration does is skew the labour market in favour of employers.

Not really - the availability of human capital makes certain jobs and businesses economically feasible. Above a certain point enterprises become unprofitable. You might say you'll be OK to pay £10 for a McDonalds, if you're earning £20 an hour, but it becomes a massive issue when you want to export things.

High wages also make capital investment more lucrative - so the break even point on automation and new machinery is altered and becomes a lot more attractive. Finally, it also makes outsourcing a relocating more attractive.

and yet your not picking them because it would be weird as there older. yeah id love to see you explaine that one at a tribunal.

im sure at 50 some of these guys will have worked for younger people so will be more than happy to do so again.

as for the whole min wage farce thats going on, as long as people are willing to work for it companys will advertise at it. hence you have a few high street stores now offering min wage for managers, with all the idiocy a managerial role in retail brings nowadays.

but the whole imagrants stealing our jobs is over blown a fair bit in some places, although i have been to a hospital were the xray operator was french and had problems understanding what i was saying when i explained what id done to my foot. this isnt on and does need sorting out otherwise peoples helth will be put at risk.

only if they do courses in engineering etc, not media studies or the normal useless subjects

Before the Daily Fail led crusade against Media Studies degrees, the employment rate for graduates in that subject was amongst the lowest. The Media is an important industry in this country, shame it just has to include the likes of Murdoch, Desmond et al.

Ok - but surely that would be the same if she was British?

Absolutely, but why flood the country with foreign workers when we have rapidly approaching 3 million unemployed ??

remember that the foreign worker who steps off the boat & straight into a job gets all the benefits of our health & schools, rent rebates & all the rest etc more or less as soon as they start the job, then claims child benefit for his children back home in Iraq.
Yes, I'm not exaggerating, my son is a line manager in a cold storage facility & 75% of the floor staff are foreign inc 17 from Iraq who laugh at the easy benefits in this country

Absolutely, but why flood the country with foreign workers when we have rapidly approaching 3 million unemployed ??

remember that the foreign worker who steps off the boat & straight into a job gets all the benefits of our health & schools, rent rebates & all the rest etc more or less as soon as they start the job, then claims child benefit for his children back home in Iraq.
Yes, I'm not exaggerating, my son is a line manager in a cold storage facility & 75% of the floor staff are foreign inc 17 from Iraq who laugh at the easy benefits in this country

Because they don't have the necessary skills and/or experience to fill these roles?

And these immigrants only get benefits for 1 year maximum, in Scotland at least.

Let me see if I get this straight, natives on welfare are given enough to live on and because minimum wage is only a bit more they are opting to sit on their backsides instead which means all the jobs go to immigrants who will actually work for a living

No, that's not quite right.

Don't forget most of the 'benefits' you receive are not cash in hand, but reduction of bills (like c.tax, perscriptions etc) & other bills like rent paid directly. So you aren't 'given' x amount of cash to spend as you like. In fact the amount of direct cash you get isn't that much.

The benefit trap is because as soon as you work, you lose the vast majority of those benefits immediately, so actually being on minimum wage ends up with less overall money because all the bills are higher.

They talked about trying to get around this benefit trap by tapering relief, not sure how far that has gone.

And the reason immigrants can "work" for a living and live ok on min wage is because they bypass a lot of the laws native people have to adhere to, like no. of people sharing a home. When you have 8 adults living in 1 house then the rent/c.tax per person is very low, other things like not taxing/insuring their car etc

Whereas the native would be hauled up for these things, the immigrants are mostly overlooked, usually as it's too much hassle for them to be dealt with.

So as usual, the story isn't as black and white as "lazy native scum" blah blah.

Last edited:
And the reason immigrants can "work" for a living and live ok on min wage is because they bypass a lot of the laws native people have to adhere to, like no. of people sharing a home. When you have 8 adults living in 1 house then the rent/c.tax per person is very low.

Most immigrants don't do that, they live in houses as a family like most people, and the is nothing to stop natives doing that either, When I was in college myself and 3 friends shared a 3 bedroom trailer on a campsite (4th guy on fold out couch in the living area) and the rent was through the floor.

*edit*

Here is a good example, its a legal requirement for air conditioning equipment to be maintained, the is more equipment in the UK than engineers to work on it, we, like most companies round here are having to bring immigrants in because the is a major shortage of British engineers because they went to study crap like media studies.

Last edited:
Here is a good example, its a legal requirement for air conditioning equipment to be maintained, the is more equipment in the UK than engineers to work on it, we, like most companies round here are having to bring immigrants in because the is a major shortage of British engineers because they went to study crap like media studies.

Engineers don't maintain air conditioning equipment. Here's a thought, why not hire British staff and *train* them to be air conditioning technicians?

Back
Top Bottom