Laser eye treatment - who's done it?

Soldato
I've also been thinking about getting this done since I'm sick of glasses and contacts. I have just been waiting in case they make some great technological leap and they can give us eagle-vision.

I'm pretty much the same, always keep meaning to book up an appointment but then for some reason just leave it.

My glasses are getting pretty scratched now so I think I might actually go and see someone about it instead of getting new glasses!

Soldato
How do people find in bright sunshine? I know that for awhile after you have it done your eyes are sensitive to light but is that something that never goes away?

Also, any idea how much it would be for the higher end of laser eye surgery, got an astigmatism, think my eyes are not that bad. From my lens packets it says:

Right: -0.50 -2.25 x 0.90
Left: -0.50 -1.75 x 0.80

Soldato
Like ~£3k total, can't remember exactly. There were a lot cheaper options which all had longer recovery times or more risks etc. I wasn't up for the old 'pencil sharpener' to make the incision though which is what the advertised £300 an eye thing is! My eyes weren't something I was willing to scrimp on :p

Is this what happens in this video? The cheaper option?

Soldato
Had mine done almost two years ago at Optical Express in Newcastle and it's the best thing I've ever done. Went from -3.75 / -3.5 to better than 20/20 vision.

The only trouble I've had was dry eyes which is easily fixed with eye drops and slowly got better over time.

Soldato
Had mine done almost two years ago at Optical Express in Newcastle and it's the best thing I've ever done. Went from -3.75 / -3.5 to better than 20/20 vision.

The only trouble I've had was dry eyes which is easily fixed with eye drops and slowly got better over time.

Do you have any problems with bright light / sunshine?

Soldato
Yes, I had astigmatism in both eyes. It might add a few quid to the bill, but they can do it alright.

You've never been standing and banging so give it up.

That's good news. Thanks for sharing.

This is the only time I have had any physical evidence of me standing and banging. I would have hate to had been wearing glasses at the time, thank god for contacts at least.
GRWNZ.jpg.png

Soldato
Do you have any problems with bright light / sunshine?

Not at all now, of course my eyes were sensitive to light for a while afterwards but sunglasses help with that :p

I also had starbursts? around lights at night but that went after 6 months or so too, that wasn't too big of an issue, just something you notice as it wasn't there before the op. I did mention it at one of my check-ups and I was told it would fade with time which it did.

Associate
Is this what happens in this video? The cheaper option?

mmm could be, when i had it done all the surgeon really did was put antiseptic drops in and lift the flap. It isn;t far off but I suppose they all have the same basic principles.

There was no clamps but you did get a polo shaped thing put in your eye to stop you blinking. (well it doesnt stop you thinking you blink but it stops you actually blinking). On that video he cut it etc. Whereas the one I had there was a machine that sort of pressed on your eye and flattened it slightly and does the cut. Then the surgeon takes you over to laser and lifts flap then you stare at a red light and countdown from 30 with the nursey wifey whilst you smell bacon :) puts flap back down then your done, time for 2nd eye..!

Definitely recommend it, just go for a consultation!

Associate
What are the chances, they had Optical Express on Watchdog earlier :D

They were having a go at them for advertising £395 per eye when almost no-one gets that deal. Also the staff were saying there were absolutely no risks and were using dodgy sales tactics like trying to pressure people by offering sime-sensitive discounts and saying their eyes might get worse and they wouldn't be able to get the treatment.

Associate
Was chatting to my optician about this and he said it would benefit someone younger than myself. I'm slightly short sighted (-1.0 and -0.5) and as people get older they start to have difficulty reading although short sighted people tend to get away with this a few years longer than people that have better longer vision.
He said that although it would correct my vision for distance it could speed up the process of needing reading glasses due to my age (40.) I can read perfectly at the minute and do enjoy reading so it's not something I'd probably want to do.
Don't know how much truth there is in what my optician said as he also said that my correction needed is still fairly weak and it might also be suited to someone who needed a stronger correction.

Soldato
my other half had her's done a few years back £1700

HOWEVER

she had a LOT of pain, was off work for 2 weeks, had dry eye and more pain for about 2 months, they did a 2nd correction, that caused a lot of pain and was off work another week.

she ended up using drops for dry eye for about a year

Soldato
How do people find in bright sunshine? I know that for awhile after you have it done your eyes are sensitive to light but is that something that never goes away?

Also, any idea how much it would be for the higher end of laser eye surgery, got an astigmatism, think my eyes are not that bad. From my lens packets it says:

Right: -0.50 -2.25 x 0.90
Left: -0.50 -1.75 x 0.80

I have almost exact same prescription as this so I'd like to know too :)

Back
Top Bottom