Laser eye treatment - who's done it?

Soldato
Meant to post an update in here but forgot. The OP went fine although the pain for a few hours afterwards is worse than I'd expected, even the codeine didn't seem to blunt it. I couldn't really open my eyes for the rest of that day and if I tried they just streamed tears which was a bit annoying when trying to put in my drops.

The day after my eyes were still sore but I could open them more, went for my check-up and was better than 20/20 vision. It's now 5 days since I had it done, eyes still feel a bit dry at times and I need to put in the drops. Sight is still a bit blurry around the edges, looking forward to getting the contact lenses removed on Friday.

Soldato
Got mine years ago via an offer on eBay, I think it was about £699 or something.

I had the non eye cutting version, LASEK.

Better then 20/20 vision and had zero problems since.

Thing that took the longest to adjust was me trying to push glasses on face even when they were not there.

Be prepared for the smell of pork burning when they are lasering!

Its amazing how much they are charging these days - £2000-4000 for something that I paid £800 for.

My sight hasnt deteriorated since getting it.

Soldato
I've worn contact for 7 years and I spent 3 years researching, I'm off to Focus laser vision on Thursday for my operation. Thoroughly recommend them so far for advice and support - really thorough and come highly recommended. They use Z-Lasek, which is bladeless and therefore has less complications and fast recovery time.

Wealth of info and videos here:

http://www.focusclinics.com/

Originally quoted £3-3.5k, but with treatment saver offer = £2250 + travel to London for consultations/surgery/checkup etc.

I'll report back when I have had the op....

Last edited:
Soldato
I went to ultralase for a consultation last year but they said they couldn't do the surgery as I was too long sighted. Gave contacts a go and haven't looked back! Ultralase were going to charge me £4k so I think I'm happy that they couldn't do it. £15/month for contacts doesn't break the bank and once used to them it's brilliant.

Associate
I had LASIK done about 10 years ago (Laservision in Harley Street).

Quick, painless procedure and a bit of an anti-climax really it's over so quickly. Only discomfort was after 90 minutes when the anaesthetic drops wore off and for the next 90 minutes my eyes just streamed. After that I was fine. I did put some anti-bacterial drops in for the first few days as per instructions but never needed anything else.

Probably the best money I have ever spent.

Soldato
Darkman - sounds promising. Were you short sighted? Also, do you find it as sharp (if not sharper) than contacts/glasses? Also, any problems with halo's at night?

Soldato
Optician's sell glasses, they aren't going to promote someone else's business! In fact my local specsavers became troublesome to work with once I mentioned it...

Just go get a consultation and see what you think - make your own mind up :)

POB

POB

Soldato
Had my eyes checked last week and asked the optician if she had considered laser treatment. Her reply was "I wear glasses, do I need to say any more!". The amount of opticians who do wear glasses has always put me off.

They will loose your business if you get fixed, also they are not as qualified to make that judgment. Its like asking a GP or a surgeon about surgery.

Caporegime
also they are not as qualified to make that judgment. Its like asking a GP or a surgeon about surgery.

Does not compute. It's like asking a surgeon about surgery?

You're right that every optician you ever speak to will usher you away from laser surgery. Some of them have been fixed but wear precription-free glasses anyway.

Caporegime
Does not compute. It's like asking a surgeon about surgery?

You're right that every optician you ever speak to will usher you away from laser surgery. Some of them have been fixed but wear precription-free glasses anyway.

Its like asking either a GP about a surgery, or the surgeon who would do the surgery is what he's getting at, well I assume. Opticians are essentially quite well, most do very little but use a few machines to check your vision. its not rocket science, a trained monkey could work out your perscription with the right machines within a few % accuracy.

A surgeon who operates on eyes daily will be able to give you a far better idea how well you'd do with surgery.

The reverse is true though, a surgeon will push the surgery as he makes money off it. Get a few quotes even if you have to pay for them. A great surgeon would tell you if you're borderline or have enough defects that you might not get a great result, a bad one will tell you you'll get 20/20 vision but could end up with halo's and all kinds of trouble.

If you're really anywhere near london its worth going to one of the main London eye hospitals, at least for a quote/checkup even if you do the surgery somewhere cheaper/easier.

Soldato
It all depends on your relationship with your optician. I've been going to mine for over 20 years and I would trust her judgement, as I know she wants the best for me. I've inquired before, and her advise was to go for the best possible surgeon, as you've only one set of eyes. It's something I'm considering this summer.

Soldato
Really tempted to do this aswell, I thought the price would be around £800 for both eyes but a lot of people on this thread are saying £2k? Howcome :(

http://www.opticalexpress.co.uk/ are doing it for £395 per eye from what I've just read.

Perscriptions are different, treatments are different, surgeons...equipment etc.

The one question I ask myself is "you have only one pair of eyes, are you really going to skimp a few hundred £'s for the sake of your eyesight?"

Also, check BBC watchdog's latest piece for their view on the £395.... you'd be lucky to get it!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom