Laser eye treatment - who's done it?

I've just had mine done with Optical Express. So far so good :)

I had -2.25 and an astigmatism in my left eye. +1.25 in my right eye. Price minus £700 discount was £2,500. That was for the top end treatment though for the ultralase wavefront lasik treatment.

Money well spent for me so far with the results I've had :)

Last edited:
Appologise for the thread necro, didn't see the need to create a new laser eye thread.

So I've just had a consultation done this morning and I'm suitable for LASEK ( -7 and -7.5 with a slight astygmatism).

Whats the verdict from guys here who've had it done? Any complications to expect? I know to expect some dry eyes for a day or two after the surgery but will this go away?

I would love to get my eyes lasered, I am just under 2ft away from 24inch screen and can't read my screen without my glasses. Without my glasses I have to be about 1ft to be able to read, that's the length of a Subway sandwich. I can't afford it though. But I do wonder if my eyesight is so bad I can get lasered on the NHS. I know they do have it on the NHS, and I saw last month they gave plastic surgery to a woman so she can try becoming a celebrity, and another woman got a breast enlargement. Surely they can something that better's a person life and fix my eyes.

I would love to get my eyes lasered, I am just under 2ft away from 24inch screen and can't read my screen without my glasses. Without my glasses I have to be about 1ft to be able to read, that's the length of a Subway sandwich. I can't afford it though. But I do wonder if my eyesight is so bad I can get lasered on the NHS. I know they do have it on the NHS, and I saw last month they gave plastic surgery to a woman so she can try becoming a celebrity, and another woman got a breast enlargement. Surely they can something that better's a person life and fix my eyes.

I get laser treatment every 5 or so years on the NHS. I think it's only available to people who suffer from conditions which cannot be corrected through the use of glasses or contact lenses and in these cases it is the optician who refers them to the NHS.

I doubt you'll get laser treatment on the NHS. I have to be about 4 inches away from my screen to read it without glasses or contacts. My prescription is -11 in both eyes.

Appologise for the thread necro, didn't see the need to create a new laser eye thread.

So I've just had a consultation done this morning and I'm suitable for LASEK ( -7 and -7.5 with a slight astygmatism).

Whats the verdict from guys here who've had it done? Any complications to expect? I know to expect some dry eyes for a day or two after the surgery but will this go away?

Had LASEK, the recovery time is a lot longer than LASIK but so far I'd say it is one of the best things I've had done. Took over a month for my eyes to settle down but over a year later my vision is still very sharp. First week or so while you have the contact lenses in your eyes is the worse but after that it gets better.

As for dry eyes, I had dry eyes before the procedure and I reckon they've got a bit worse. I should really do what the doctor has told me to help with that so kind of my own fault.

Also make sure you go to a good Doctor, it will cost more but imo not worth messing about with your eyes. Also the high street Doctors probably don't perform many LASEK operations.

I've always fancied this, but the thought of having my eyes clamped open completely puts me off :(

This is uncomfortable. They lower a doughnut shaped suction pad over your eye and it locks onto your eyeball, it is rock solid so your eye can't move when the laser is firing, plus it keeps your eyelids well away.

The first eye was very uncomfortable but went ok, however on the second eye the surgeon really had to pull at the skin above and below my eye to open my eye wide so he could position the doughnut, once it was on and the suction process to clamp down on my eye began the pressure became so great I honestly thought my eyeball was actually going to explode, but it didn't, it just really hurt.

As he was proceeding with the second eye (my left) it seemed to be much more uncomfortable than when my right eye was done and at one point I tried to raise my arm to my face, more out of instinct than anything else. The nurse/assistant grabbed my arm and held it down, saying "calm down Mr **** it is nearly over". Then it was over.

Afterwards the surgeon said when people become agitated it always seems to be on the left eye for some reason. I reckon it is because the eyedrops they put in to numb your eyes have worn off a bit when by the time they start on the second eye.

But don't let this put you off :p The results are fantastic, better than 20/20 in both eyes :)

Yeah the procedure isn't fun, the first eye is the worst because you can see them scraping it and doing stuff to it but you can't actually feel anything, really weird experience. Before you know it they are done and the second eye isn't as bad as you know what to expect.

I've just had mine done with Optical Express. So far so good :)

I had -2.25 and an astigmatism in my left eye. +1.25 in my right eye. Price minus £700 discount was £2,500. That was for the top end treatment though for the ultralase wavefront lasik treatment.

Money well spent for me so far with the results I've had :)

Did you have one dominant eye & if so has the treatment had an effect on that? Also how stable was your prescription?

In a similar situation so curious.

Had LASEK, the recovery time is a lot longer than LASIK but so far I'd say it is one of the best things I've had done. Took over a month for my eyes to settle down but over a year later my vision is still very sharp. First week or so while you have the contact lenses in your eyes is the worse but after that it gets better.

As for dry eyes, I had dry eyes before the procedure and I reckon they've got a bit worse. I should really do what the doctor has told me to help with that so kind of my own fault.

Also make sure you go to a good Doctor, it will cost more but imo not worth messing about with your eyes. Also the high street Doctors probably don't perform many LASEK operations.

Thanks for the feedback, I'm not sure wither or not to get it done, I'm actually quite nervious about the possible side effects etc.

I was planning on going to Ultralase as I don't think there's too many other places over in N.Ireland that do it

I see that Focus got a good write up earlier in this thread, they're doing an offer at the moment to celebrate 10 years of business, seriously tempted to go along to the consultation to see what they say.

This is uncomfortable. They lower a doughnut shaped suction pad over your eye and it locks onto your eyeball, it is rock solid so your eye can't move when the laser is firing, plus it keeps your eyelids well away.

The first eye was very uncomfortable but went ok, however on the second eye the surgeon really had to pull at the skin above and below my eye to open my eye wide so he could position the doughnut, once it was on and the suction process to clamp down on my eye began the pressure became so great I honestly thought my eyeball was actually going to explode, but it didn't, it just really hurt.

As he was proceeding with the second eye (my left) it seemed to be much more uncomfortable than when my right eye was done and at one point I tried to raise my arm to my face, more out of instinct than anything else. The nurse/assistant grabbed my arm and held it down, saying "calm down Mr **** it is nearly over". Then it was over.

Afterwards the surgeon said when people become agitated it always seems to be on the left eye for some reason. I reckon it is because the eyedrops they put in to numb your eyes have worn off a bit when by the time they start on the second eye.

But don't let this put you off :p The results are fantastic, better than 20/20 in both eyes :)

This happened to me too. They did the right eye first which was uncomfortable but then the left eye was borderline painful. I think maybe something to do with expecting the discomfort.

Same results for me, better than 20/20 :)

p.s. this may help: http://www.ukdps.co.uk/

I had "the full package" from Optical Express back in feb, by full package i mean their "Advanced CustomVue Wavefront Intralase LASIK".

Procedure its self was fine, bit weird, could smell my eye ball when the laser hit it. Walked out after around 30mins with no problems, after their numbiing eye drops wore off eyes were hard to open, full of tears and incredibly sensitive to light (lights off - sunglasses on) for the next few hours - had a few hours sleep, woke up and after around 1 hour was watching tv (with sunglasses on) and by the next morning was almost back to normal.

Had some halo style glows around lights for the first 6 months and they have almost gone now, no where near as bad now compared to what they were.

Results are amazing, no glasses, no lenses and better than 20/20 vision. Haven't had an eye test for a few months but last time i went i was 1 above 20/20.

Paid around £800 deposit and then around £90 a month for 12 months (interest free) i think - but looking at those numbers that seems low... hmmm

Ive had same as above, im happy but its not perfect my right eye is still blurry they said its dryness but im calling BS, i need to go back and see them will book an appointment tomorrow!

Back
Top Bottom