LED Bulb Thread

Soldato
Hi,

Probably been asked many times before in this 100 page thread, but I want to replace 8 x 50W halogen MR16's in our loft room. These are currently running of 20-60VA transformers.

1, Can I simply swap out the halogens for LED or must I replace the transformers too?
2, Any recommendations on good MR16's?

A search online seems to be returning many mixed messages!

Thanks

Soldato
on catchup checkout the gadget show 'review' a few weeks back - they were not complimentary about Ikea smart bulb ecosystem -
did not think bulbs were good value for money with only 3 colours, plus poor app on their controller.

Soldato
Ah just had a look, no go for me anyway as majority of my fittings are bayonets and cannot be bothered with adapters. Just really want an alternative to Hue, have tried a couple of hub free/lower cost bulbs but nothing’s stood out yet.

Caporegime
Ah just had a look, no go for me anyway as majority of my fittings are bayonets and cannot be bothered with adapters. Just really want an alternative to Hue, have tried a couple of hub free/lower cost bulbs but nothing’s stood out yet.

smart bulbs aren't really being widely adopted. wait 5 years for all the issues to be ironed out and them to become mass produced. it's like £50 a bulb for decent ones. when a normal bulb is 50p. ridiculous. i would stay clear for now.

Soldato
smart bulbs aren't really being widely adopted. wait 5 years for all the issues to be ironed out and them to become mass produced. it's like £50 a bulb for decent ones. when a normal bulb is 50p. ridiculous. i would stay clear for now.

Agreed holding off rushing into the lighting at the min, like say used a few lower cost smart bulbs but never been fully happy with them. Will hold out and see what comes up in future.

Associate
Hi,

Probably been asked many times before in this 100 page thread, but I want to replace 8 x 50W halogen MR16's in our loft room. These are currently running of 20-60VA transformers.

1, Can I simply swap out the halogens for LED or must I replace the transformers too?
2, Any recommendations on good MR16's?

A search online seems to be returning many mixed messages!

Thanks

It depends on the LEDs and transformers i think. A year ago i swapped out 50x (50w MR16) in my house. I ditched the transformers and just bought some GU10 tails and wired those up directly to the mains, and bought LED lamps that ran off 240v. Didn't cost much for the GU10 tails
You could equally replace the transformer with 12v LED drivers, then buy the 12v MR16 LEDs. I have heard you can run the 12v LEDs off the AC transformers but i'm not sure how that affects life span and also with it being AC you're likely to get flickering depending on brand. Also i'm not sure on the 20VA-60VA, the reason i just got rid was i wasn't sure if they needed a minimum power draw to work. I also wanted less electrics in the ceilings (i'd rather replaced failed lights than faff around with fittings and transformers). Separate transformers/LEDs should last longer though due slightly better heat dispensation, but for the cost i'd rather just replace the LEDs

I bought variants on this range: https://www.lightrabbit.co.uk/lightwell-xgen-5-watt-gu10-led-bulb.html

Natural White for kitchen/bathroom/gym, and warm white for hallways. Cool white was too harsh when i sampled it. 5w for everywhere expect 7w for kitchen.

Last edited:
Soldato
Does your light switches have any bearing on how the bulbs work? The reason I ask is that I've just had my house rewired and chose BG dimmers for the bedrooms but I've tried 3 different brands of LED bulbs but all have their slight problems. Some flicker a bit when half dimmed, some make an annoying buzzing noise and some do both! The only ones which I've found to work perfectly are the Ikea filament style.

Associate
Does your light switches have any bearing on how the bulbs work? The reason I ask is that I've just had my house rewired and chose BG dimmers for the bedrooms but I've tried 3 different brands of LED bulbs but all have their slight problems. Some flicker a bit when half dimmed, some make an annoying buzzing noise and some do both! The only ones which I've found to work perfectly are the Ikea filament style.

I’m using the Screwfix LAP GU10’s with BG dimmers and haven’t had any issues.

Permabanned

I always use Philips bulbs if they are to be dimmed. Never had a problem yet.

Soldato

Have a look at the Q&A on this page, it would seem you may need to make a small adjustment.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/british-general-1-gang-2-way-400w-push-dimmer-switch-white/65335

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom