LED Bulb Thread

Associate
I need exactly the same (8 bulbs for my kitchen) - currently considering these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01KHIMDUY

For some reason, multipacks seem to be more expensive than individual bulbs.

Bought those in the end, very pleased (so far, only installed an hour ago!) Possibly a fraction cooler colour temp than the Screwfix ones even though they're both 4000K, but that could be just an effect of the fixtures in the rooms (bathroom v kitchen,) but nice and bright and no buzzing at any dimming level (on a V-PRO.) Finally rid of the last of those rubbish Diall LEDs I was using before.

Soldato
Hi, looking at replacing our 'Halogen' i guess they are bulbs around the house.

I have 2 light fittings, one in the kitchen that has 4 GU10 bulbs & 1 on the landing that has 4 GU10 bulbs.

Also the bathroom has 5 GU5.3 Downlights fitted in there. (I believe they are run of a transformer in the loft, so perhaps they are 12v?)

No idea what to look for, so was hoping for some recomendations.

Many thanks guys

So 8 GU10
5 GU5.3

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Hi, looking at replacing our 'Halogen' i guess they are bulbs around the house.

I have 2 light fittings, one in the kitchen that has 4 GU10 bulbs & 1 on the landing that has 4 GU10 bulbs.

Also the bathroom has 5 GU5.3 Downlights fitted in there. (I believe they are run of a transformer in the loft, so perhaps they are 12v?)

No idea what to look for, so was hoping for some recomendations.

Many thanks guys

So 8 GU10
5 GU5.3

I got these for the kitchen and one of the bedrooms... brightness is perfect, not laboratory white either - a nice warm white as suggested: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01KHILJ5O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Soldato
I got these for the kitchen and one of the bedrooms... brightness is perfect, not laboratory white either - a nice warm white as suggested: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01KHILJ5O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are very close in terms of brightness and colour tone of a normal Halogen 50w bulb. Also as the LED cluster is set back into the glass it gives a similar glow around the bulb that you would expect from regular halogen bulbs. I went with these in living and circulation spaces but kitchen and bathroom we used a cooler white philips bulb.

You should be able to swap out to 12v LED in the bathroom, but I'm guessing it's quite an old transformer in the loft that's used to driving 100w+ of lighting. Might be worth getting a more modern transformer and lower rated for LED lighting.

Soldato
Anyone have any experience with the LED light strips?

We have our kitchen in the layout below (brilliant drawing i know), want to put some plinth lighting in and have been looking at the LED light strips. Ideally would want them to be controlled by the same remote. I know there are loads on Amazon/Ebay but i'd like to be able to connect them up if possible. I could run a cable under the skirting from the top part of the bottom section of worktops, under the back door and then along the wall to then run down the other set of worktops but i haven't seen any with long wires like this (that aren't lit up)

Otherwise i'm happy to have 2 separate units if thats the easiest, as long as i can control them together.

Any recommendations?

PDa2PCs.png

Soldato
In my dining room I've got 2x alcoves. One of the light bulbs has gone and it's a MR11 12v 20w. What should I go for power wise if I want to change it to LEAD or is going LED a bad idea?

Soldato
If it's powered directly off a 240v feed with a switch elsewhere then I'd get an LED transformer and some LED strip tape

We've recently done our under cabinet lighting using these and the light is bright and very even.

One of these connected instead of the bulky holder: https://www.led-lighthouse.co.uk/le...an-well-18-watt-led-driver-12v-ip67-lph-18-12 (only need a 12w one but this unit is thinner)
1m per light pre cut and cable soldered wrapped on 3 sides of the fixture for even lighting: https://www.led-lighthouse.co.uk/le...exible-led-strip-3528-120led-m-waterproof-12v

Very interesting Streeps. If I were to be replacing three separate cabinet regions, two small and one larger, would you measure each and ask them to supply 3 transformers, and measure the strip around the three sides, then just wire into the existing 240v after removing all of the old housing and lighting?
Did you place the strip around the underside of the cabinet or on the face of the cabinet lip? (hard to describe what i mean - did you wrap 3 sides with two rights angles all in the one strip? )
Does this stuff fold? or just 90 degree bends?

Soldato
Only a couple of quid really! Be good to know how you get on with them.

All fitted now, can see them in my build thread.

Pretty happy with them, no issues so far. They're definitely bright and have highlighted to us that we probably needed a second light source in the room for when you want a "cosy" level of light.

So might stick a lamp in here, or run a second round of cable to the switch to allow us to have other lights. Another alternative is replacing the bulbs for dimmable ones with compatible dimmer, but really want the same switches/sockets style all over the house.

Soldato
Very interesting Streeps. If I were to be replacing three separate cabinet regions, two small and one larger, would you measure each and ask them to supply 3 transformers, and measure the strip around the three sides, then just wire into the existing 240v after removing all of the old housing and lighting?
Did you place the strip around the underside of the cabinet or on the face of the cabinet lip? (hard to describe what i mean - did you wrap 3 sides with two rights angles all in the one strip? )
Does this stuff fold? or just 90 degree bends?

I specced up originally to have 1 central transformer near the switch then 12v off to each cabinet, unfortunately our sparky decided to use the existing 240v cabling to each cabinet so we went with 3 transformers rated per strip length, 2 large and 1 small too.

We had it stuck to the underside of the cabinet a bit further in from the pelmet compared to its height so the whole worktop would be lit up, didn't bother to angle it as this would create bright spots at the ends so just a single run under each length of cabinet. If you're looking to run it on an L shape or U shape I'd cut where you want a corner and solder cable to get a better finish (then box in/heatshrink to protect it) because the glue isn't really strong enough to hold folded corners.

Soldato
What are the current "go to" LED bulbs? In particular currently looking for dimmable e14 golf balls.

Have a load of Lumilife bulbs from LED Hut, but their longevity seems to leave a lot to be desired, must have replaced at least 50% of them over the past 2 years :(, and getting a bit fed up with having to send them off. Not hugely fussed about smart bulbs, although if I can get them for not much more then would certainly consider it

Back
Top Bottom