LED Bulb Thread

Associate
OP
Hi all,

Just thought i would share my LED bulb story.

In my kitchen i have 2 4 way light fixtures that used to have halogen bulbs in, I recently got an Electricity monitor and to my utter astonishment found that these lights were pulling 480watts :O, I thought "no way hoe-say", Popped to B&Q got 9 GU10 LED bulbs for under £20 installed them and now i have not seen the lights pulling more than 30 watts and they are brighter.

Am gonna go LED bulbs throughout the house especially as the darkness is closing in, Only issue is Bayonet LED's are not as easy to source. Why bother with stupid energy saving bulbs that take ages to get to their full brightness which is still dismal

The end

"I know, cool story bro!"

Just a bit of a follow on, These are still going strong, Not had any issue with any of them. When i had the Halogens fitted i was often getting them blowing on me to the point i stopped replacing them, But as said all 8 GU10 B&Q LED's are working with no issue's whatsover.

Associate
EDIT: Just seen flasher's post above and thats exactly what my faulty one was doing. Are they replacing yours?

When the first one went i just left it due to cost of sending it back, after the others went and reading your post i decided to take the hit and leave it, was not going to spend any more getting extras.

Had a couple from http://www.ledhut.co.uk/, first thing i noticed was the weight, heavier then the ones from Mrs Wang and the build looks better, twice the price for a reason.
Also had 2 of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251202551...eName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649 from ebay, feel the same weight as the ones from ledhut and so far no problems.
Build just seems so much better on both.

Edit: Mrs Wang's bulb also go off on full dim, the ones from the ebay link don't.

Last edited:
Soldato
Right, I've decided I'll spend the extra on some NXTGen GU10's from LED Giant or LED Hut. Prices aren't too steep and they have a 14/21 day money back guarantee so going to give them a go. Still undecided on whether or not to go for dimmable bulbs.

Associate
Anyone using LED bulbs in standard pendant lights?

I've got a few, the sharp cut off is problematic for lighting an entire room properly from one fitting, the LEDs in mine only face down. Not as good as the G9 capsule bulbs I have which light in every direction (why they don't just use the same design I don't know!)

Soldato
When the first one went i just left it due to cost of sending it back, after the others went and reading your post i decided to take the hit and leave it, was not going to spend any more getting extras.

Had a couple from http://www.ledhut.co.uk/, first thing i noticed was the weight, heavier then the ones from Mrs Wang and the build looks better, twice the price for a reason.
Also had 2 of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251202551...eName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649 from ebay, feel the same weight as the ones from ledhut and so far no problems.
Build just seems so much better on both.

Have you tested the quality and output of both of the bulbs in your link? I'd be interested to hear the results.

Associate
Eyesight test only, can not tell the difference between the bulbs for spread and brightness.
One difference that i do notice is that the ones from ledhut come on straight away, the ones from the ebay seller come on dim then full within a second, both faster than the ones from Mrs Wong.

Soldato
the ones from the ebay seller come on dim then full within a second, both faster than the ones from Mrs Wong.

Yeah I noticed that as well. Didn't really think it was a problem, but it shows that these are different to others on the market. I think maybe they just got a duff batch in, but I dont want to chance buying from them again.

Soldato
Eyesight test only, can not tell the difference between the bulbs for spread and brightness.
One difference that i do notice is that the ones from ledhut come on straight away, the ones from the ebay seller come on dim then full within a second, both faster than the ones from Mrs Wong.

Thanks, maybe I'll take a punt on the ebay lights then as theyre less than half the price of the NxtGen bulbs.

Soldato
I bought a couple of the Philips MyAccent 3w LED B22 std bulbs to see what they were like, replaced some 11w energy bulbs in the hall with them and so far they seem great - Tiny bulbs and appear to put out more light - 6w instead of 22w seems a decent saving if the light is better. 2700k so warm, will look at some more or poss slightly brighter bulbs for other fittings around the house!

Associate
I bought 8 CREE GU10 9 watters (3*3Watt leds)from ebay back in November after being recomended by a friend, same seller. Awsome bulbs, loads of light, in comparison to the 50 Watt halogens i had in before.
But a few weeks back while i was in the kitchen, where they are in use, one of them came apart, the plastick white part still in the holder, and the metal heat shield hanging down, hangging by the cable of the transformer. What had happend was where the 3 screws holding the two parts together had cracked and fallen apart. Since then a total of 4 have faild this way, and a fith dosen't look to good. I gess this has happend due to heat and bad plastic.
Instead of sending them back i have fixed them back together with high heat apoxy resin, wich looks like the way it sould have been done in the first place, seams better than asking for replacment to end off with the same problem again.
I got some 12volt Mr16 as well, and they seam to be fine, but they are only 6Watts and dont get as hot around the frame.

Soldato
I bought a couple of the Philips MyAccent 3w LED B22 std bulbs to see what they were like, replaced some 11w energy bulbs in the hall with them and so far they seem great - Tiny bulbs and appear to put out more light - 6w instead of 22w seems a decent saving if the light is better. 2700k so warm, will look at some more or poss slightly brighter bulbs for other fittings around the house!

I just picked up a 9.5w Philips one too, much brighter than the 11w energy its replaced but it does not scatter as far - very good for the room its in but doesnt light a room fully.

I'm an LED convert i have to say!

Soldato
Have been living with LED bulbs for over a year now. Quick snap of the kitchen. (Floor was being tiled when this photo was taken, so explains any mess/clutter!)

jiMA

SMD 5050 (120 degree beam angle)
SMD worktop strip lighting.
Dimmable too but not on dimmers in this room.

jiMS

Dimmed here, these are 3x1 watt, so resemble traditional halogens with a pool of light rather than even spread.

Associate
I need 10 to replace my GU10 Bulbs. My friend got a load from DealExtreme. Does anyone have any recommendations from there?

2 out of 16. Candle bulbs from Sophie are flickering after 1 month

Who is the forums current favourite supplier right now then?

Last edited:
Associate
Hi All

I've converted all 43 GU10 fittings in my flat to LED - all from the Diall range @ B&Q. I absolutely stand by the quality of these products. I am slightly biassed - i was part of the team who sourced them in the Far East.

Furthermore, the current range of Philips lamps (now withdrawn from Tesco) were severely over claiming according to the latest legislation. As will most of the bulbs you are finding on e8ay. Diall 35 & 50w are approximately equivalent to a 38 & 52w GU10 using the latest DIM 2 legislation.

If you join the B&Q club, you will get 3for2 on all bulbs as a permanent deal.

Sales pitch over :)

Back
Top Bottom