LED Bulb Thread

Caporegime
Can anyone recommend an LED bulb with some decent wallop and a wide viewing angle for my outside light?

It's a PIR lantern so it needs to be something that is up to speed immediately - I've tried an energy saver in it and I may as well not bother having the light at all.

Normal filament bulbs don't last very long in it as they are frail and it gets knocked easily where it is.

E27 fitting.

Have you seen these before?

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In..._Tubes_Index/Ledlite_Bollard_Lamps/index.html

Associate
So gents

With moving into my new place to start all the fittings are pendants with bc fittings - in the terms of LED bulbs whats some of the better options?

I know warm white would be better for say the living room / bedrooms and cool white for the kitchen however what sort of wattage / lumens should I be aiming for? is there a guide somewhere to offer some help on this?

Caporegime
Are they pendants with shades or can you see the lamp? Because there are some very good quality integrated compact fluorescent lamps with nice colour temperatures, no flicker and instant start that are half to a third the price of decent LEDs.

Associate
Are they pendants with shades or can you see the lamp? Because there are some very good quality integrated compact fluorescent lamps with nice colour temperatures, no flicker and instant start that are half to a third the price of decent LEDs.

for now they'll just be dangling from the ceiling until we decide in a few months time as to what fittings we want there! (so they are literally bare 6" pendants) I may consider some sort of lampshade to start! :o

Caporegime
I've tried a couple of different R50 LED replacements (ignoring the ones that are GU10s bolted onto a different base, they are a lot narrower and nothing like an incandescent R50), and have settled on these Megaman units:

http://www.ledstop.co.uk/led-light-...rew-cap-e14-35w-regular-led-r50-lamp-25w.html

Originally I tried the ones that LED Hut sell but as well as being more expensive than the Megaman lamps, their warm white looked nothing like it should.

Associate
I'm putting 8 spot lights in my kitchen/lounge so obviously will be going led. I need some gu10 fittings and bulb recommendations, just nice white fittings nothing that will stand out. Also nothing that glares to much because there won't be any other pendants in the room so when on must spread light nicely.

I'm going to be using a lightwave dimmer so they need to be suitable for this.

Only advice I've had so far are to purchase jcc fittings and bulbs separately.

Soldato
I'm putting 8 spot lights in my kitchen/lounge so obviously will be going led. I need some gu10 fittings and bulb recommendations, just nice white fittings nothing that will stand out. Also nothing that glares to much because there won't be any other pendants in the room so when on must spread light nicely.

I'm going to be using a lightwave dimmer so they need to be suitable for this.

Only advice I've had so far are to purchase jcc fittings and bulbs separately.

The most natural white light I've found so far are "Aurora 6W GU10 LED Light Bulbs Warm White" (single LED in the middle). You can get them in dimmable or non-dimmable.

I have these in our bedroom and very impressed with them.

Been trying to find some bulbs to go into our old GU10 units in the kitchen, but alas these will not fit, as they are not 100% the same shape as old GU10 bulbs :(

Associate
I am having some issues with some flickering LED lights and some that come on for a few seconds and then turn off.

Somebody pointed me to this: http://www.lightbulbs-direct.com/article/replacing-12v-halogen-mr16s-with-leds/

Can anyone actually explain what the maths for working out whether an LED will work in my transformer or not because it doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Example 1 - I assume that is 5x12 = 60VA....but example 2 I dont have a clue.

Soldato
Lets give a try.

You have 12 led lamps at 5 watts, so 12x5= 60, (60 watts),so to run those led lamps you would require a 60va (volt amps) transformer.

If your transformer is incompatible then you will have issues,flickering, no lights, etc, if your transformer is rated at 250watts, & you change the load from 5x 50w halogen to 12x 5w led lamps, then the drop in wattage can affect the transformer and cause a surge of electricity above 12 volts, which will damage or kill the led lamps.

With led lamps the load must match the transformer, as transformers require a minimum load, & with led's you usually won't reach it when changing from halogen to led lamps.

Last edited:
Soldato
They will be GU5.3 MR16s. They are low voltage Halogens, whereas GU10s are mains voltage halogens.

It will, unfortunately, make finding a good quality LED option a bit harder.

Going back to just before Christmas, as there were other obvious priorities. We're now in a position to think about changing these.

What do you mean exactly by this? Why will it be harder.

Associate
Lets give a try.

You have 12 led lamps at 5 watts, so 12x5= 60, (60 watts),so to run those led lamps you would require a 60va (volt amps) transformer.

<snip>

That doesn't fit with this:

A room has 4 downlights using 50w Halogen bulbs each has its own transformer all rated at 60VA. You could successfully replace the Halogens with the Crompton 5w LED MR16 which gives out light equivalent to the 50w Halogen bulb. So to summarise - Total equivalent wattage equals transformer rating required.

Back
Top Bottom