LED Bulb Thread

Caporegime
Is it just me or does anyone else think LED gu10/mr16 are mostly garbage, I just don't think the technology is there yet, Ive had 2 sets of GU10 and 1 set of MR16 (my house is random) some were from ebay some from a proper shop branded makes that felt quality and every time had at least 1 faulty bulb

Bet ive spent £70 now and still not happy, from my experimenting ive found MR16 LED is a waste of time, best off to ditch the transformer and go back to GU10

Anyone else agree with me or have I just been very un-lucky ??

I think you've been unlucky or your budget is limiting you to the bottom end of the market. I doubt you'd have any issues with a Phillips Master LED or a Toshiba.

Man of Honour
The phillips ones look the part, problem is I have 10x mr16 and 12x gu10 in my house, so that would be £330 for all, bet it would take 10+ years to get my money back

Caporegime
That's the decision only you can make really. Lighting upgrades don't tend to have a short term payout.

Having said that, see what your cost per unit of electricity is and shove that into a spreadsheet, see where your break even is. I doubt it's 10 years if you're going from 50w lamps to 10w - that's 1.1kw to 220w.

Soldato
Last edited:
Man of Honour
Forgot to add I also have 10x G9 lights (the little capsule bulbs) they don't make dimmable ones yet (I don think), and most my lights are on siemens lightwave dimmer switches

Might just spend the £300 next winter on converting to LED, got a couple of other more expensive projects to do first

Either way Ill defiantly be staying away from eBay Chinese imports and unbranded stuff from other sites

Caporegime
If you're investing in lighting then there's no reason you have to do a like-for-like swap unless you really want to keep the fixture. Have a look around and see what other options are out there.

Soldato
Last edited:

Pug

Pug

Soldato
I bought a boat-load from Homebase (well 15) when they were on BOGOF about a year ago. All dead within 6 months, and refunded.

I have to assume my old house's electrics are shoddy.

Permabanned
Last edited:
Soldato
Never use them, don't like the idea of non replaceable lamp, if it fails after 12 months warranty finishes, where would you stand with trying to getting it replace.

Not fire rated, so you will need a fire hood, or you could use a fire rated downlighter, which don't need a hood.

These are my favourite fire rated downlighters.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p26353

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p73671

Last edited:
Caporegime
The 6w version of that LAP light got an OK write up by Lux but they were put off by the complete lack of any photometric information about the unit so could only judge it based on what it was and what it cost.

I would steer well clear of an LED product that only had a 1 year warranty on it, when the industry generally gives 3, 5 or 10 year guarantees. It shows very little in the way of confidence in the product.

Imy

Imy

Soldato
Any recommendations for a B22 (bayonet cap) LED bulb to go in a table lamp?

The shade is quite dark so looking for at least 60W equivalent. I would also prefer a warm light (2700k or so).

Oh and it should be dimmable.

Back
Top Bottom