LED Bulb Thread

Soldato
I used LED Hut last year for lights for all of my house, some 40+ lights. They delivered them all the next day and exchanged the lights which I ordered in the wrong size with no hassle.

A year on and no lights have failed.

I would definitely use them again.

Caporegime
LED Hut tend to be a bit optimistic with the colour temperature values to make the lumen figures look better. I had some 'warm white' lamps from them, and compared to Philips and Megaman's version of 2700k they were nowhere near.

Soldato
My parents are getting a new kitchen installed soon and part of that is obviously the lighting. Does anyone have any experience with integrated LED fittings or is it better to go with regular fittings and then buy decent LED bulbs for them?

They don't really know what they're looking for (I'd have thought Magnet should be helping here but they don't seem interested) and neither do I really; I've had a look around on various websites but the sheer choice all gets a bit daunting.

Imy

Imy

Soldato
I think it comes down to personal preference. Integrated are potentially more reliable (larger heatsinks) and can come with 10 year warranties and some decent designs, however they cost perhaps £7-10 more per light than a decent GU10 combination.

With GU10 you can choose the right bulb for the location and swap them about if need be. They also have a lower cost of entry as the fixings usually come with a halogen bulb to get you going, meaning you don't have to buy the LED bulbs all at once.

Personally I've gone the GU10 route as I want to use a variety of different power rating and beam angle bulbs and also be able to take the bulbs with me when I move to another property.

Associate
Well the LEDs turned out to be incompatible with my light fitting.

They worked, but wouldn't turn off with the remote, which meant if i ever wanted the ceiling fan on while sleeping the light needed to be on.

Rather than sending back I just used them elsewhere in the house to replace some of those awful philips softones.

Caporegime
Just ordered this lot from LED Hut for £240 odd:

E9Kkgnn.png

The two daylight bulbs are for the laundry room. Mrs wasn't keen on daylight / natural (4000K apparently) in the kitchen or bathrooms, so let's see what they're like, then I might swap some of the warms for natural bulbs.

Got three PIR lights which seem to be on all the time. At 60W a piece they must be costing a fortune in the night.

Permabanned
1st 3 are in.

Prysmian 6242Y Twin & Earth Cable 1.5mm
Hager J501
Sylvania Fire Rated Downlight Fixed GU10 Mains Brushed Steel
4.5 Watt GU10 LED Bulb - Wide Beam Angle - Cool White

370mm center width
975mm spacing from wall and each light

2 more are to be fitted behind where photo was taken

25ss9s2.jpg

Soldato
I think it comes down to personal preference. Integrated are potentially more reliable (larger heatsinks) and can come with 10 year warranties and some decent designs, however they cost perhaps £7-10 more per light than a decent GU10 combination.

With GU10 you can choose the right bulb for the location and swap them about if need be. They also have a lower cost of entry as the fixings usually come with a halogen bulb to get you going, meaning you don't have to buy the LED bulbs all at once.

Personally I've gone the GU10 route as I want to use a variety of different power rating and beam angle bulbs and also be able to take the bulbs with me when I move to another property.

Good advice, thanks a lot. I think the concern is that if an integrated one fails, it's potentially a lot of hassle getting it removed and replaced whereas a failed LED bulb can just be swapped out. Choosing fittings and bulbs is going to be a nightmare though!

Back
Top Bottom