Lenovo Ideapad 5

Soldato
I took the back off before I'd even powered it up! Not difficult - just seven very tiny torx screws (note that the back three are captive and don't need to be completely removed) and a bit of pulling. Irritatingly the M.2 2280 slot has a sticker over the screw so I've left the supplied drive (which is WD) there. I had a 240GB SATA M.2 2240 with both keys so I popped that into the spare slot and it was recognised when I switched on the PC.

I've now powered it up and it comes with W10 1909 so there's a load of updating to do. That's a job for after lunch.....

Man of Honour
OP
ok, just had a play.
for reference...this is the spec i got:

Processor - AMD Ryzen 7 4800U Processor (1.80GHz, Max Boost up to 4.20GHz, 8 Cores, 8MB Cache)
Operating System - Windows 10 Home 64
Operating System Language - Windows 10 Home 64 English
Microsoft Productivity Software - Microsoft Office Trial
Memory - 16GB DDR4 3200MHz Onboard
Hard Drive - 512GB Solid State Drive, M.2 2280, PCIe-NVMe, TLC
Display - 14.0" FHD (1920x1080), IPS, Anti-glare, 2.4mm Thickness, 300nits, Narrow bezel
Graphics - Integrated Graphics
Color - Graphite Grey
Keyboard - Keyboard Backlit Iron Grey English (UK)
Camera - 720p HD Camera with Array Microphone
Palmrest - Metal
Surface Treatment - Anodizing
Fingerprint Reader - Fingerprint Reader
Battery - 3 Cell Li-Polymer Internal Battery, 57Wh
Power Cord - 95W AC Adapter (3pin)-UK (USB Type C)
Wireless - Wi-Fi 6 2x2 AX, Bluetooth Version 5.0 or above
Language Pack - Publication-English
Warranty - 1 Year Courier or Carry-in

first impressions:
1) metal chassis = zero flex when pressing hard on the keys. #win
2) same with the lid. metal = minimal flex
3) 2.4mm ips screen is indeed 100% sRGB. windows reports it as a BOE 08B5, from a quick google uses PWM when not in max brightness, which is a bit of a bummer, but at 60-80% brightness isnt too big of an issue
4) 512gb 2240 drive is a wd sn730, rather than the samsung pm981 (970 evo), again a bit of a bummer as it's ever so slightly slower in benchmarks...lol
5) 95w powerbrick is massive in comparison to the laptop. i'd probably be getting a 65w brick for travel.
for reference, 95w charger = approx 13cm x 5.5cm x 2.5cm; 65w charger = approx 11cm x 4.6cm x 2.5cm
6) fingerprint reader is fast and accurate (fwiw)
7) graphite grey = very classy looking. but fingerprint magnet and feels very easy to scratch :(

overall, for £680 notes. excellent value.

Soldato
I've got the identical spec but I think it's a 4700U rather than a 4800U (or did you find an option I didn't?). Agree 100% about the graphite grey being a fingerprint magnet. I wish I'd found a working coupon as I paid the full amount but it was still over 40% cheaper than the HP and Dell I was considering so my Barclaycard isn't feeling as unwell as it might have done.....

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
I've got the identical spec but I think it's a 4700U rather than a 4800U (or did you find an option I didn't?).
It was an option right at the start. I think it got withdrawn a couple of days after I placed my order. Was a £60 upgrade from the 4700u so I suspect it got over-ordered

Soldato
3) 2.4mm ips screen is indeed 100% sRGB. windows reports it as a BOE 08B5, from a quick google uses PWM when not in max brightness, which is a bit of a bummer, but at 60-80% brightness isnt too big of an issue

Do you know if all 2.4mm screens are 100% sRGB? or is it panel lottery?

Soldato
Thanks just seen the tech specs didn't scroll all the way to the bottom of the web page before, how do i choose the metal body?
I didn't specify it but it's what I've got, judging by the lack of a round charging port. I chose the better of the two customisable options and that seemed to be enough as its standard options are the 2.4mm screen and USB C charger.

Having just had a fiddle with the customiser for the cheaper model, it switched to a USB charger when I selected the 2.4mm screen.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Thanks just seen the tech specs didn't scroll all the way to the bottom of the web page before, how do i choose the metal body?
Its not really all-metal. The lid and the keyboard panel is metal (keys are plastic), the underside is plastic. You get the metal option with the 2.4mm screen. The other 2 screen options I think comes with the full plastic body.
Usbc only charging = metal body. Round charging port = plastic body (afaik)

Man of Honour
OP
I think there's issues with full metal builds on the 14", most on HUKD are getting emails saying plastic only available.
Probably ran out of the metal body lol. Dunno what the plastic body build quality is like. But the metal body quality feels excellent. More £1000 budget range than £680

Associate
I'm about to buy this for £600 2nd hand.

Brand new in the box Lenovo Ideapad 5
Comes with warranty.
AMD Ryzen 7 4800U Processor
8-core 16gb DDR4 RAM
3200MHz
512gb SSD Storage
Backlit Keyboard
4-Cell Li-Polymer internal battery 70Wh
Bluetooth 5.0
95W Charger in the box

Does everything look good here?
How can I test if ram is good
Is there a quick way to check temps?
I'll check for dead pixels. Whats the best way to check light bleed?
Anything else I should be checking?

Edit: how would I know if it's got 2.44mm screen?

Caporegime
I've done a fresh install of Windows. What are some of the software I should be installing? I.e. fingerprint reader etc

I think windows recognises the fingerprint reader natively.

You need Lenovo Vantage which will manage drivers/BIOS and a few other bits. I also installed AMD chipset and Adrenaline drivers. I installed Samsung NVME drivers but this depends on which SSD you have.

Associate
I think windows recognises the fingerprint reader natively.

You need Lenovo Vantage which will manage drivers/BIOS and a few other bits. I also installed AMD chipset and Adrenaline drivers. I installed Samsung NVME drivers but this depends on which SSD you have.

Thanks, how would I find out which SSD I have?

Back
Top Bottom