Lenovo Legion 5 Pro

Soldato
The fans can be noisy, but when you have headphones on or whatever doesn't really bother you. I've ran my 4800 16gb 2060 on a game for a solid 10 hours and while the fans stay on I've not experienced any frame rate issues or throttling at all, so they seem to be doing their job.

Soldato
I didn't try quiet mode, admittedly it was on performance mode, Hopefully quiet mode does boost the cpu somewhat or even run stock as I have seen it downclock to about 1.1ghz during idle/light usage.

I was playing a game with speakers also tbf to it, so I imagine it'll be fine with my headphones on, i'll shall continue to test further, just waiting on forza horizon 4 to download.

The fans are definitely doing their job mind, I had an hour sesh of sea of thieves and the laptop never thermal throttled.

Associate
Further impressions on the non pro 3070, the eye candy and at mostly 165fps is delicious.

I need to find out if I can manually change the fan profile, as soon as the cpu hits over 65-70c the fans are at full blast, though haven't seen the cpu go over 80c, and gpu hit max 76c for me, so good amount of headroom from thermal throttling which is nice, just need to tune these fans but can't find an obvious setting in the lenovo software.

What colour did you get and where did you buy it from and does it have the RGB keyboard?
Most places seem to have the phantom blue one is that the only available colour? And any discounts going anywhere or is £1299 it? Cheers

Associate
Associate
Single rank to dual rank probably accounts for some of the gain despite the speed drop.
lenovo ship the 16gb model with 2 8gb samsung modules.

just to add to the statistics I ended up with the :

phantom blue 5800h 3070 and it does have RGB keyboard. to which i added a sn550 2TB drive and put 32gb in it.

quite impressed so far been running autocad on the laptop screen and star citizen on a 34" monitor at the same time apart from fan noise I have not noticed any throttling. To be honest I'm extremely surprised how these laptops perform nowadays, coming from a acer helios 500 desktop replacement this is practically a thin and light.

Last edited:
Caporegime
lenovo ship the 16gb model with 2 8gb samsung modules.

just to add to the statistics I ended up with the :

phantom blue 5800h 3070 and it does have RGB keyboard. to which i added a sn550 2TB drive and put 32gb in it.

quite impressed so far been running autocad on the laptop screen and star citizen on a 34" monitor at the same time apart from fan noise I have not noticed any throttling. To be honest I'm extremely surprised how these laptops perform nowadays, coming from a acer helios 500 desktop replacement this is practically a thin and light.

8GB modules are very likely to be single rank. 16GB can be either single or dual but most are dual. It gives a decent performance boost running two dual rank modules.

Associate
How would the 3070 in a laptop (130W or 140W) compare with a 3060 desktop? Would the laptop 3070 be capable of better framerates at 1440p?

Associate
Got excited at the Lenovo restock of the 5P but would much rather go for the 3070 option, not the 3060. :( not sure whether to just bite the bullet on the non-pro 3070 from OCUK or keep holding out for the 3070 Pro.

Associate
Got excited at the Lenovo restock of the 5P but would much rather go for the 3070 option, not the 3060. :( not sure whether to just bite the bullet on the non-pro 3070 from OCUK or keep holding out for the 3070 Pro.

Yeah you and me both... I'm going round in circles trying to make my mind up. I just can't help thinking if I do go for the non pro I'll instantly regret it when the pro becomes available to order. Conversely as I plan on hooking the laptop up to a monitor or tv more than using the laptop screen the better screen on the pro would be overkill really for me. I'm looking at this mainly as an Xbox series x replacement with benefits , a full HD screen will be fine for me

Associate
Yeah you and me both... I'm going round in circles trying to make my mind up. I just can't help thinking if I do go for the non pro I'll instantly regret it when the pro becomes available to order. Conversely as I plan on hooking the laptop up to a monitor or tv more than using the laptop screen the better screen on the pro would be overkill really for me. I'm looking at this mainly as an Xbox series x replacement with benefits , a full HD screen will be fine for me

same struggle here, I’m checking this thread every hour in the hope someone spots a restock/launch of the 3070 5P. I know the non pro would suit me just fine but I loooove the thin bezels of the Pro(especially the bottom one compared to the non pro) and the UHD screen would be amazing to have

Associate
There's also the option of the 5600H/rtx 3060 with the fhd screen (165hz) and RGB keyboard etc for £935 from Lenovo right now , ships in more than 6 weeks though but that's a good price. Not a 3070 though or pro though....

Associate
There's also the option of the 5600H/rtx 3060 with the fhd screen (165hz) and RGB keyboard etc for £935 from Lenovo right now , ships in more than 6 weeks though but that's a good price. Not a 3070 though or pro though....

Saw this and suspect Lenovo are massively struggling with Legion 5 Pro stock (and Legion 7). I too am considering just getting the Legion 5 (non-pro) with RTX 3070. Realistically speaking, not sure I'll really notice the 16inch screen improvement as I mainly use it for work and connected to a 4k Acer monitor for colour grading. The "Y" logo on the lid also looks a bit rubbish in my opinion and I prefer the more muted looks of the normal Legion 5. The only thing preventing me is that I wonder if the pro has better cooling and is able to sustain the 5800H better without throttling. I haven't found any side by side testing of the 5 Pro vs 5 with same CPU/GPU.

Soldato
Mid June was meant to be the Lenovo 7 stock and end of June for 5 with the 3070. As to when you will actually get after ordering is another story, however my lead time has changed twice now and what was meant to be September delivery, it now says it's shipping in 3 days time.

Associate
Woop managed to bag a 5 pro 3070 from Currys last week for 1499.99 and used the buy now pay nothing for 12 months option, ill just chip away at it. Very nice machine.

I have seen a video online that was critical about its performance lacking somewhat compared to other 3070 equipped laptops and a change of RAM put it back into the top 4.

Has anyone fitted say the HyperX Impact CL20 3200 kit and noticed any tangible gains ?

Soldato
Woop managed to bag a 5 pro 3070 from Currys last week for 1499.99 and used the buy now pay nothing for 12 months option, ill just chip away at it. Very nice machine.

I have seen a video online that was critical about its performance lacking somewhat compared to other 3070 equipped laptops and a change of RAM put it back into the top 4.

Has anyone fitted say the HyperX Impact CL20 3200 kit and noticed any tangible gains ?

Apparently it’s only worth the upgrade if you game at FHD.
If you play at the native resolution there are minimal gains as the game is less reliant on the CPU and more reliant on the GPU.
There are small gains at the native res, but mainly the 1% lows rather than the average FPS.

Associate
Right folks, pro 5800H/RTX 3060 , uhd+ screen for about £1k or non pro 5600H/RTX 3070 with fhd screen for £1299. Or wait for pro 5800H/rtx 3070 for probably £1499
Honestly can't make my mind up. I just feel like I need to get the 3070 for decent framerates on a 1440p monitor, am I right there or can DLSS come to the rescue for the 3060 cos the pro 3060 is very tempting..

Last edited:
Associate
Right folks, pro 5600H/RTX 3060 , uhd+ screen for about £1k or non pro 5600H/RTX 3070 with fhd screen for £1299. Or wait for pro 5800H/rtx 3070 for probably £1499
Honestly can't make my mind up. I just feel like I need to get the 3070 for decent framerates on a 1440p monitor, am I right there or can DLSS come to the rescue for the 3060 cos the pro 3060 is very tempting..

The non pro 3070 model is a 5800h cpu not 5600h.

I went for the non pro earlier this week and don't regret it. Was always going going get an external monitor whichever model I plumped for.

Samsung G7 arrived yesterday and the pairing is superb, smooth frame rates and able to run the games I've tried so far run smoothly at ultra settings

Associate
The non pro 3070 model is a 5800h cpu not 5600h.

I went for the non pro earlier this week and don't regret it. Was always going going get an external monitor whichever model I plumped for.

Samsung G7 arrived yesterday and the pairing is superb, smooth frame rates and able to run the games I've tried so far run smoothly at ultra settings

Thanks that's very useful, that's the exact same monitor I'm looking at. Could get the non pro 3070 with the Samsung g7 for not much more than the pro 3070. Decision made I think

Back
Top Bottom